Police: Wellington residents shoots, kills masked invader

This is a discussion on Police: Wellington residents shoots, kills masked invader within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Palm Beach Post Staff Writers Monday, February 16, 2009 WELLINGTON A masked gunman is dead after he exchanged fire with an armed resident inside ...

Thread: Police: Wellington residents shoots, kills masked invader

Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

Monday, February 16, 2009

WELLINGTON A masked gunman is dead after he exchanged fire with an armed resident inside a Wellington home overnight, Palm Beach County Sheriff's officials report this morning.

Deputies were called to 1382 White Pine Drive near Wellington Trace and Forest Hill Boulevard at 1:50 a.m. Monday. A woman called 911 and reported that someone had broken into the house and been shot by her husband

When deputies arrived they found a man with a .40 caliber gun and dressed in all black and wearing a black mask shot to death inside the home, according to Sheriff's spokesman Pete Palenzuela. The man was black and appeared to be in his late teens or early 20s, Palenzuela said.

So far, he said, there appears to be no connection between the couple and the suspected invader.

The couple told police that they were sleeping in their bedroom when their dogs, a Jack Russell terrier and a German Shepherd, alerted them to the stranger in their home. The husband had access to at least two guns in the room, Palenzuela said. It is unclear which gun he grabbed when going to confront the intruder, he said.

During the confrontation both the suspected intruder and the resident fire their guns. The suspected intruder died at the scene, but neither husband, nor wife was injured, Palenzuela said.

Palenzuela said witnesses report the couple are well-regarded in the neighborhood. The husband is a school teacher, he said.

Investigators remain on the scene this morning as the sun comes up
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Good job, and good dogs!! Special treats for the dogs!! I have a pair of early-warning systems myself...good to have!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    Good job, and good dogs!! Special treats for the dogs!! I have a pair of early-warning systems myself...good to have!
    So true. I remember once asking an insurance agent what the best home security system was and his answer was, "A big dog." They aren't always reliable when the family is out (though our is, as evidenced by the tooth indentations on the doorknob) but will almost always alert to visitors. Our German Shepherd is starting to get old so we want to get the new one while she's old enough to help train the youngster to guard the homestead.

Nice shot placement on the part of the homeowner.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Good Dogs!!! Filet Migon for the good dogs.....
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

It is unclear which gun he grabbed when going to confront the intruder, he said.
    Apparently the right one for the job at hand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It is unclear which gun he grabbed when going to confront the intruder
    Sounds like it was the one he could hit with.
    +1 to defending yourself and your family.

On a side note, Wellington is one of those areas where 'it could never happen here.' Very nice, very upscale. BGs with good taste...who could a thunk it?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Sounds like it was the one he could hit with.
    +1 to defending yourself and your family.

On a side note, Wellington is one of those areas where 'it could never happen here.' Very nice, very upscale. BGs with good taste...who could a thunk it?
    Sounds like the BG was targetting exactly that - the people who live in those upscale areas and think "it DEFINITELY could/would never happen here" - the ultimate off-guard folks. However, looks like the house he chose wasn't inhabitated by your average sheeple

Good for the homeowner, although shooting a man to death in your own home is never easy. I hope the couple recovers from this incident psychologically.

VIP Member
    During the confrontation both the suspected intruder and the resident fire their guns.
    I don't think there is any suspected to it.

The husband had access to at least two guns in the room, Palenzuela said. It is unclear which gun he grabbed when going to confront the intruder, he said.
    I could figure that out figure, and I don't even have any LEO training. Ask the homeowner which gun he used.

Darn shame

Nice shot. Good dogs. Nuf said.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

mkh
    It's never good to see someone loose their life but I'm glad things turned out OK for the homeowners.

I live in one of those "it will never happen here" neighborhoods. I don't believe it but my wife does. She thinks I'm a little crazy and too into this guns and SD stuff but she hasn't tried to stop me. I'll have to show this article to her.
    Last edited by mkh; February 16th, 2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

I am happy the home owner did not get hurt. I wonder if he did anything to avoid being hit or if the intruder was just a lousy shot.

Links