BAD -- Boys left unsupervised with weapons: one dead

This is a discussion on BAD -- Boys left unsupervised with weapons: one dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Upper St. Clair Boy Shot Dead By Twin; Father Arrested - News- msnbc.com Upper St. Clair Boy Shot Dead By Twin; Father Arrested Charges Filed ...

VIP Member

Upper St. Clair Boy Shot Dead By Twin; Father Arrested - News- msnbc.com

Upper St. Clair Boy Shot Dead By Twin; Father Arrested
    Charges Filed Months After Christian Lanese's Death

ThePittsburghChannel.Com
    updated 1 hour, 1 minute ago
    PITTSBURGH - A 9-year-old boy's father has been criminally charged after he allegedly allowed a gun to be handled by the boy and his twin brother, who then shot his sibling to death, according to Allegheny County police.

Stay tuned to this page and WTAE Channel 4 Action News starting at 5 p.m. for updates.

Detectives had been investigating the case in Upper Saint Clair for months, ever since Christian Lanese died from what they said was an accidental gunshot wound at the hands of twin brother Stephen in October.

According to the criminal complaint, police said the boys and their father, Michael, went to a gun show on Oct. 18 and tried unsuccessfully to sell several firearms. When the family returned to their Eton Drive home, Michael Lanese instructed the boys to take the guns into the master bedroom, police said.

According to the criminal complaint, Stephen said Christian carried the guns to the master bedroom and then retrieved ammunition from the bedroom closet. Police said Stephen told them that Christian started loading and unloading the .348 caliber rifle. When he finished, Christian sat down in front of the TV and his brother picked up the weapon. Stephen also began loading and unloading the rifle and pulling the trigger. That's when the gun went off, hitting Christian in the back of the head, police said.

Officers said that along with the gun and ammunition, they found three knives near the scene of the shooting. Police said Michael Lanese admitted to moving two other guns from the master bedroom before police arrived.

Police also said that Michael Lanese claimed that the boys broke into a locked cabinet in the basement to find the ammunition, but officers said they found the cabinet blocked open. Investigators said when they asked if the boys had gone into the basement before the shooting Michael Lanese said, "I never paid attention. We all live together."

The criminal complaint also cites six unnamed witnesses who said the boys were often left unsupervised with weapons. On one occasion, a witness reported seeing the boys playing with a hatchet, and two other witnesses said they found the boys playing with a samurai sword. A school nurse also said she made a report to Allegheny County Children, Youth and Family services because the boys were constantly coming to her with injuries.

Michael Lanese, 66, was charged with two counts of endangering the welfare of children and one count of involuntary manslaughter.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Father=Guilty
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    Good job getting a BG. He sounds like a poster boy for gun control.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Father=Guilty
    Agreed.

How many times does the same thing have to occur before people get it!
    And I don't want to hear that no longer relevant garbage from folk of when I was a kid...

These days are today and 50 yrs. ago was a completely different universe.
    Lock up all firearms and ammo, and do it yourself durably!

Yet another one for the Brady bunch database.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Good job getting a BG. He sounds like a poster boy for gun control.
    The father sounds like a poster boy for a vasectomy. I do not like to use the word lightly to but this guy must be RETARDED.

Links