What would you do, if it were your neighborhood

This is a discussion on What would you do, if it were your neighborhood within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some folk are so much much in the "white" zone that they end up , even if they try to stand up like men. for ...

Thread: What would you do, if it were your neighborhood

VIP Member

What would you do, if it were your neighborhood

Some folk are so much much in the "white" zone that they end up , even if they try to stand up like men.

for intent.

for grasp of reality.

OTOH, what would you do, if it were your neighborhood?

Fullerton man stands up to thug, gets shot at 3 times | murthy, police, guy, fullerton, traffic - News - OCRegister.com

Fullerton man stands up to thug, gets shot at 3 times
    Leg wound makes Narasimha Murthy think twice about self-defense in wake of afternoon shooting.

By BARBARA GIASONE
    The Orange County Register

FULLERTON Traffic engineer Narasimha Murthy couldn't shake the morning newspaper story from his mind.

A social worker in Santa Ana told an Orange County Register reporter he was tired of neighborhood violence. When the employee told a tough-looking teen to leave the area, the boy responded, "You'll be dead tomorrow." The adult didn't back off; he stood up to the threat and called police.

Seven hours later, Murthy stood in a similar situation with one difference: He was shot at three times.

"I'm lucky to be alive," said the Fullerton resident, nursing wounds from one bullet that pierced his calf muscle and exited through the back of the leg. The other two bullets missed, and hit the sidewalk.

He sat in his kitchen Thursday going over his videotape of the Jan. 29 incident frame-by-frame. A copy was given to the police and FBI, he said.

Murthy's confrontation began at 3 in the afternoon at the corner of Arlington Avenue and 27th Street in southwest Los Angeles. The engineer was videoing traffic signals in a bid for a school traffic study. His camera was focused on cars whizzing through the intersection, but also captured a softer image of a man leaning against a lamppost.

Once the man spotted Murthy, he walked toward him.

The camera kept rolling as the man tried to snatch it.

The two struggled.

"I hung on best I could, and then I remembered the news article," Murthy said. The Santa Ana victim said if people are going to create change, they have to confront violence and street terrorism.

"I kicked the guy in the groin," said Murthy, 50. "It must have got him mad, because he pulled a 9 mm gun from his pocket and shot me.

"I didn't give up just like the man in the newspaper story," Murthy said. "My family said it was foolish of me, but I kept fighting back. The guy took off with my BlackBerry."

Murthy walked about 100 yards before he saw blood oozing onto his slacks. Passersby called 911, and he was taken to the Olympia Medical Center, where he was hospitalized for six hours.

He gave police a full report and the videotape that showed his assailant.

Los Angeles Police Department officer Julie Sohn said an assault with a deadly weapon report had been filed with the city's southwest division. No suspect has been arrested, police said.

While recounting the incident in his east Fullerton home, Murthy said he was so sure he could stand up to one thug.

"Like the guy in the article said, we the people have to make the sacrifice to save our community and be brave," Murthy said. "But I never expected to face anything like this at 3 in the afternoon in broad daylight."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Now had he had a gun of his own...we could be 1 thug less, and 1 responsible armed citizen more...
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member
    Yada, yada, yada, bla,bla, bla, it just can't happen.

Any time--any where----no reason.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Now had he had a gun of his own...we could be 1 thug less, and 1 responsible armed citizen more...
    +1 I commend him for his bravery for standing up to a thug. Hopefully next time he'll be prepared with the proper tools to "overcome" any adversity that comes his way.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

The sad thing is, now that the attack is over they MIGHT actually "grant" him a permit. I'll never live in California.

VIP Member
    Sounds like he did pretty good, wonder how soon he'll be getting his CCP?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    The guy got lucky, and it is sad that it takes something of this magnitude for an ordinary citizen to get a carry permit in Kalifornia.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I chuckled when he commented that the guy took his Blackberry.

He speaks of kicking the guy in the groin like that was something he had to muster himself to do. And after doing that I wonder did he just stand there and look at him like a big dummy, as he in response reached for and pulled out a handgun?
    If I have reason enough to defend myself be it a kick to the groin (which does nothing but stun most attackers in the immediate) or whatever, then I'm going to continue dropping bombs on that person until they are either completely stopped and compliant...or they are prostrate in the street.
    But then I bet this is probably the first ever time in his life that dude has been in a physical conflict.

Anybody anytime anywhere, including even folk midning their own business.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Down here in Texas that guy would be dead, no doubt about it.

Hopefully the fruitcakes in Kalifornia will begin to see the light.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

jfl
    Don't bring a video camera to a gun-fight !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

He must have seen Gran Torino recently. Good for him for standing up though, more need to do it. I sure hope 1) he gets a CCW and 2) the thug finds a new line of work.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Sounds like he did pretty good, wonder how soon he'll be getting his CCP?
    oh yeah, like that would ever happen.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Links