GOOD: Armed Homeowner Stops Family Of Scumbags - Louisville, KY

This is a discussion on GOOD: Armed Homeowner Stops Family Of Scumbags - Louisville, KY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WAVE 3 TV Louisville, KY | Break-in suspect charged with murder after accomplice is shot by homeowner LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A fatal shooting over ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

WAVE 3 TV Louisville, KY | Break-in suspect charged with murder after accomplice is shot by homeowner

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A fatal shooting over the weekend in Louisville has resulted in a murder charge that may be unlike any you have seen in Kentucky. Police say the homeowner who pulled the trigger acted in self-defense and is not being charged. Instead, one of three suspects who broke in is now facing the murder charge.

Children played in the 1700 block of West Oak Street Sunday in front of a home where Louisville Metro Police investigated the shooting death of James Wood, Senior. Police say Wood and his two sons broke into the home. The homeowner fatally shot the father, but now one of the sons that faces a murder rap.

"In a situation where individuals are involved in a felonious act of some type and an individual is murdered or killed, they can also be charged with that murder," said Lt. Barry Wilkerson, commander of the LMPD Homicide unit.

A Kentucky Supreme Court ruling allows the murder charge because the break-in led to the shooting death, even if the suspects did not pull the trigger.

"I haven't had one of these in over 33 years of doing this, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen," said Thomas Clay, a local defense attorney.

Clay said the fact the suspects had duct tape and wire with them only fortifies the murder charge.

"Certainly those tools are indicative of an intent to do more than perhaps just rob this person, maybe to assault him, shoot him or even kill him and that makes the case much worse from the defense perspective," said Clay.

James Wood, Junior faces a murder charge while his brother, Jerrell Woods, is still on the run. Junior is not giving police any clues.

"He did not give us the whereabouts of Jerrell, but did cooperate some and give us some information on how the events transpired that day," Wilkerson said.

Jerrell Woods could end up facing a wanton murder charge as well. It is a charge according to Clay may not be reduced in a plea deal.

"It could stick. A wanton murder charge could stick, without question, depending on the facts," Clay said.

Jerrell Woods remains on the run. Police ask anyone with information to call the LMPD Crime Tip Line at 574-LMPD. All calls to the Crime Tip Line are anonymous.
    Well, hopefully Jerrell Woods will be caught, and he and his scumbag brother will get life in prison so that they can't raise any scumbag sons and carry on the family tradition.

Good on the homeowner.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

We have that law in Okla. as well. It is not used as often as it should be in my opinion.

Michael

VIP Member
    I don't know if that law is on the Utah books, but it's a good law IMO. As far as the life in prison, that's the dumbest sentance any judge can give. (Again, IMO) Do we really want to pay for him to live in relative comfort the rest of his life? I say hell no. EVERY murder conviction ( even like this) should be a death penalty.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Good for the home owner! Way to stop the home invading scum bag family!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

If you're part of a plot to commit felonious mayhem on others and someone gets harmed as a result of your actions, even if you, yourself, didn't "pull the trigger," you absolutely should be held accountable for the damage you and your crew have done. Kudos to the people of the state of TN for having the fortitude to see this through. May criminals such as this always be held so accountable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you're part of a plot to commit felonious mayhem on others and someone gets harmed as a result of your actions, even if you, yourself, didn't "pull the trigger," you absolutely should be held accountable for the damage you and your crew have done. Kudos to the people of the state of TN for having the fortitude to see this through. May criminals such as this always be held so accountable.
    Louisville, KY.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    A fatal shooting over the weekend in Louisville has resulted in a murder charge that may be unlike any you have seen in Kentucky. Police say the homeowner who pulled the trigger acted in self-defense and is not being charged. Instead, one of three suspects who broke in is now facing the murder charge.
    I wish more States would adopt this "Felony Murder" law and that those who have it on the books would apply it more often -- all the way through a trial and not as just an incentive for the perp to plea down to a lesser charge.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Well I'm sure we know what kinda upbringing those kids had,I'm sure when they were taught the difference between right and wrong things got a little crossed up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links