UGLY: Student Expelled For Fake Guns -

This is a discussion on UGLY: Student Expelled For Fake Guns - within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Student faces expulsion for fake drill team guns AURORA - A local school district has suspended a member ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Student faces expulsion for fake drill team guns

AURORA - A local school district has suspended a member of the Young Marines youth leadership group after students saw drill props in her vehicle.
    Advertisement

Marie Morrow, a 17-year-old senior at Cherokee Trail High School in Aurora, is serving a 10-day suspension. Her punishment could be extended at an expulsion hearing later this month.

Morrow is a student leader in the Douglas County Young Marines, a group dedicated to teaching leadership and life skills.

Cherry Creek Schools suspended Morrow after other students reported seeing guns inside her SUV, which was parked outside school while she was in class.

The school also called police, who seized the three drill team guns made of wood, plastic and duct tape. Police told Morrow to claim them in time for her after-school drill practice off-campus.

School administrators, however, were less understanding. The guns were declared "authentic representations of genuine weapons," triggering a mandatory expulsion statute in state law.

"I have never been in trouble at all," said Morrow, who is planning to attend the United States Merchant Marine Academy. "I hadn't imagined in a million years that anything like this would have happened."

Chris Proctor, commanding officer of the Douglas County Young Marines, was rebuffed in his attempt to explain the props to school leaders.

"There's no mistaking that these are not real rifles," said Proctor. "I think somewhere along the line, logic has to take over and they have to be able to make exceptions to the rules."

"Marie is one of the best kids that you could ever imagine," he said.

"I could see where the school could be freaked out about it," said Morrow. "But I think there should be some leeway with the law based on situations and realize this is just an honest mistake."

"The law doesn't make any distinction between a genuine weapon and a facsimile," said Cherry Creek Schools spokeswoman Tustin Amole.

Amole says federal and state laws mandate expulsion, and that school districts only have discretion to determine the length of that expulsion.

Asked who had the discretion to deem the props "dangerous weapons," Amole said school administrators and police made the decision based on state law that defines a "dangerous weapon" as "a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm."

Amole said the props in Morrow's vehicle caused concern among students and administrators who made an "assumption" that the weapons appeared "genuine."

Morrow's mother grew emotional while saying she hoped her daughter would continue her volunteer and service work despite the incident.

"I just don't want it to affect her view on the world, (make her believe) that people who do the right thing don't come out on top," said her mother, Jennifer McGrew. "I've always kind of really looked up to my daughter for having a mind of her own and going places that I never even dreamed."

A hearing officer could recommend Morrow be allowed back in school after her 10-day suspension or could expel her for as much as the rest of her senior year. The final decision belongs to the Cherry Creek Schools superintendent.

Morrow, who has already secured the necessary recommendation from a member of Congress to attend the Merchant Marine Academy, has been told an expulsion would not derail her eventual acceptance to the Academy.

"As long as I can get my diploma, I guess everything else will work itself out," said Morrow, who explained she's trying to focus on her planned career of service. "It's not going to be the end of the world."
    (Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.)
    How ******** DISGUSTING is this?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I'm curious, what federal law mandates expulsion? Especially for replicas made of wood, plastic and duct tape?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Lead Moderator
    I'd really like to say what I think of this, but then I'd have to send myself back through the Rules!

(Maybe if students had more exposure to firearms they could recognize dummy weapons instead of just being dummies!)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Schools, rules, and laws like this are why we are raising up a nation of sheep.

How ridiculous.

"The law doesn't make any distinction between a genuine weapon and a facsimile," said Cherry Creek Schools spokeswoman Tustin Amole.
    You are right, the law doesn't make any distinction. That is what COMMON FREAKING SENSE is for! How can administrators these days be expected to lead when they have proven they can't lead themselves out of a wet paper bag?

Amole says federal and state laws mandate expulsion
    Show me this law, I call BS.

and that school districts only have discretion to determine the length of that expulsion.
    OK, fine so expel her. But take her track record and extra curricular actives in to account and make the punishment fit, 1 or 2 days and make her write an essay on, oh I dunno, HOW TO TELL A DRILL RIFLE FROM A REAL ONE THAT SHOOTS.

A hearing officer could recommend Morrow be allowed back in school after her 10-day suspension or could expel her for as much as the rest of her senior year.
    This would absolutely suck for her but also for the hearing board that decides this extreme punishment.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I'd really like to say what I think of this, but then I'd have to send myself back through the Rules!

(Maybe if students had more exposure to firearms they could recognize dummy weapons instead of just being dummies!)

Yeah......I don't want to get scolded either.

Sigh........
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Asked who had the discretion to deem the props "dangerous weapons," Amole said school administrators and police made the decision based on state law that defines a "dangerous weapon" as "a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm."

Amole said the props in Morrow's vehicle caused concern among students and administrators who made an "assumption" that the weapons appeared "genuine."
    So, the standard for 'reasonable' is the judgment of hormone-addled, pimple-riddled, teenagers!?

Give me a break!!!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Stupidity reigns. They'd prefer to eviscerate a promising student because of zero tolerance than to have to use their brains and sense. And some people wonder why "home schooling" is such a hit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Yeah......I don't want to get scolded either.

Sigh........
    HHMMM.....STUPID people
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    ccw9mm's signature says it all.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Too bad the "educators" left home w/o theirs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

We have lost our ever-loving freaking minds.

There should be a thousand parents down there at the school and the school district demanding to see this "law" that gives them no leeway. I don't know what they are referreing to. If it does exist then we all need to be standing in our representatives offices demanding its repeal, because this is all it accomplishes.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    This has been going on since last week. Even her lawyer said that the school has no choice but to expel her. Local lawmakers are working to fix the state law but everyone agreed the fix wouldn't be able to be applied to her case.

On a side note: I found it interesting yesterday when i heard the morning news refer to "law makers" instead of "representatives". I found it fitting in these times.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

When are the PEOPLE gonna rise up and say enough is enough,we have allowed these laws to get so out of hand that common sense is no longer even considered
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When are the PEOPLE gonna rise up and say enough is enough,we have allowed these laws to get so out of hand that common sense is no longer even considered
    I think the law may have been a knee-jerk reaction to the Columbine shooting. I haven't verified that. I doubt at that time, there were many people thinking about situations like this coming up. They just wanted to make sure there were "laws to protect" them.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links