DUMB

DUMB

This is a discussion on DUMB within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now, who here would take cash to a parking lot to buy anything from a someone met on a WEB site? Not blaming the victim, ...

Thread: DUMB

VIP Member

Thumbs down DUMB

Now, who here would take cash to a parking lot to buy anything from a someone met on a WEB site?

Not blaming the victim, but how unaware can one get?

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_11729872

East Palo Alto police say man pistol-whipped, shot trying to buy Craigslist car

Bay City News Service

Posted: 02/18/2009 06:41:07 AM PST

An East Bay man was robbed, pistol-whipped and shot in East Palo Alto Tuesday evening when he showed up to buy a vehicle advertised on Craigslist, according to police.

Officers responded to a local emergency room at about 6:50 p.m. where Alex Garcia, 22, was being treated for a gunshot wound, according to the East Palo Alto Police Department.

Garcia told police he went to the 1700 block of East Bayshore Road after arranging to purchase a vehicle through the Web site Craigslist. He contacted the suspect in a parking lot and then was told to go to another location at 1830 W. Bayshore Road.

Police reported that while Garcia was checking out the vehicle "for sale," three suspects with handguns confronted him and demanded $1,300 cash he had for the vehicle he thought he was going to buy.

A fight broke out, during which Garcia was pistol-whipped several times and wounded when a gunshot grazed his head, according to police.

Garcia told police he managed to get back to his vehicle and transport himself to an emergency room where he was treated for injuries that were not life threatening.

The suspects fled the scene in an unknown direction, according to detectives.

Any witnesses to the robbery or anyone with information is asked to contact East Palo Alto Police Department Detective David Carson at (650) 853-5957 or East Palo Alto Police Dispatch at (650) 321-1112. Information can also be communicated anonymously on the East Palo Alto Tip Line at (650) 853-8477.
    Last edited by DaveH; February 18th, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wow. Like the OP said, the victim was very unaware. Contacted the seller and told to go to a different place? . At least he tried to fight back, and survived the incident.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Thirty years ago East Palo Alto had a reputation in the Bay Area for being like the bad section of LA. Doubt it's gotten much better.

At my Emergency Medical Technician classes, we were quizzed, "What is the first thing you ask a patient?" An East Palo Alto ambulance attendant replied, "Are you on Medi-Cal?" ['Medi-Cal' is California's version of the Medicaid welfare system]
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

My father in law used to say, "when you're dumb ya gotta be tough" LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I usually meet at a crowded area like in a mall or library whenever I do craiglist transactions and I bring a friend or two if it involves a large amount of cash.

He's lucky to be alive.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    What happened to common sense and self awareness?
    We all have a weapon between our ears, some just fail to make use of it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

El Stu-pi-do!!!
    Tejano
    tay-hah'-no . . . if ya don't savvy Tex-Mex
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I very well may be too old to be as good as I once was . . . but . . . don't make the the mistake of thinkin' I'm not as good once as I ever was . . .& . . . never forget - it only takes once to get the job done

I actually trade and sell/buy on Craigslist all the time. It's really the last place that you can find a really good deal.
    It was definitely stupid to goto a different place. That should have sent up the red flags.
    Trusting Good Guy - Common Sense = Victim
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Sponsored Links