Bystander Shot

This is a discussion on Bystander Shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Georgia Man Shot & Killed During Police Shootout In Coffeyville - FOX23 News Georgia Man Shot & Killed During Police Shootout In Coffeyville Last Update: ...

Thread: Bystander Shot

VIP Member

Thumbs down Bystander Shot

Georgia Man Shot & Killed During Police Shootout In Coffeyville - FOX23 News

Georgia Man Shot & Killed During Police Shootout In Coffeyville
    Last Update: 8:15 am

TULSA, Okla.) February 18- We now know the name of an innocent bystander caught in the line of fire during a shootout with police.

It happened Tuesday evening after a man robbed a Bank Of America in Coffeyville.

Willie Neal from Georgia died shortly after being transported to Coffeyville Regional Medical Center.

Here’s how it started. Police say Ross Williams of Claremore, robbed the bank and took off in an SUV. When cops tried to stop the vehicle, Williams took off.

After the chase, Williams got out of the car with a rifle and opened fire on police. We are told Willie Neal was standing behind police when he was shot. Right now, it is not clear whether Neal was shot by Williams or accidentally by police.

Police continued to search for Williams and found him a few hours later in a field.

"As we were waiting for the helicopter, some of the officers spotted the guy and waited until he got closer to their area and apprehended him without incident, “ said Chief Humble of the Coffeyville Police Department.

Williams was taken to a local hospital after suffering from hypothermia. Police say they will take him into custody after doctors release him. Charges are pending at this time.
    Why even mention/speculate on whether Neal was shot by Williams or accidentally by police?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    that's too bad...wrong place,wrong time
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    How do police accidentaly shoot hi if he's BEHIND them?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

From the Wichita ABC station. So far they are being vague about who shot the fatal round.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, a man robbed the Bank of America branch in the 1400 block of W. 8th Street. The employee cooperated with the suspect, giving him an undisclosed amount of money.

The suspect fled the scene in a black SUV.

A patron of the bank notified police. Coffeyville Police quickly located the vehicle and a chase ensued. The chase ended in the 500 block of N. Grant when the SUV broke through a cable barricade at a dead end and slammed into a tree.

The suspect got out of his vehicle and began firing a rifle on the two police cars that had been chasing him. Officers returned fire. The suspect then fled into the woods.

A bystander who, according to a local radio station, was staying with family in the area was hit from two blocks away. He was taken to Coffeyville Regional Hospital where he later died. He has been identified as Willie Neal of Georgia.

The officers searched the woods where the suspect fled, finding him around 8 p.m. He has been identified as 39-year-old Ross A. Williams of Claremore, Oklahoma. He is being held pending filing of charges.

No officers were injured.

Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department, Independence Police, Caney Police, Labette County Sheriff’s Department, Nowata County Sheriff’s Department, the Kansas Highway Patrol and Coffeyville Fire and EMS assisted in apprehending the suspect. Coffeyville Police and the FBI are investigating.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    How do police accidentaly shoot hi if he's BEHIND them?
    If you knew some of the officers I know you wouldn't ask that question! Fortunately they are very few (in my experience) and far between.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I would say since he was 2 blocks away there is a very good chance the BG's rifle round s he fired struck the guy.looks like he's gonna get a murder charge now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links