Economy blamed for Increase in CWPs...

This is a discussion on Economy blamed for Increase in CWPs... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Economy blamed for increase in concealed weapon permits in Florida - St. Petersburg Times TALLAHASSEE Floridians in record numbers want to carry concealed weapons, ...

Thread: Economy blamed for Increase in CWPs...

Economy blamed for increase in concealed weapon permits in Florida - St. Petersburg Times

TALLAHASSEE Floridians in record numbers want to carry concealed weapons, a trend linked to a surge in crime, economic anxiety and fears of stricter gun laws.

The state is buried under a backlog of 95,000 applications for concealed weapons permits and it needs to hire a lot more people to handle the paperwork. A legislative panel Wednesday gave Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson the OK to spend $3.9-million more so he can hire 61 temporary workers.

"Once the economy gets bad, crime always goes up," said Bronson, a certified police officer. "People get desperate whenever things are not going the way they feel like they should be going, and they'll do things they normally wouldn't do."

The state reported a surge in applications in November after the election of President Obama, who in the past has advocated stricter gun control laws but who also campaigned as a defender of Second Amendment rights. Florida received 75,679 first-time concealed weapon permit applications in 2007 and 86,269 in 2008, in addition to tens of thousands of renewal forms.

Nationwide, retailers report a surge in sales of firearms in recent months. Some Florida stores have run out of ammunition.

As applications for gun permits stack up, the state reports a spike in phone calls from impatient applicants, and at least 140 large tubs in a Tallahassee office building are filled with unprocessed applications.

By law, the state must process permit applications within 90 days. A permit is valid for seven years and costs $117, which includes a $44 fee for state and federal background checks and a set of fingerprints. The money to hire new employees comes from fees paid by applicants, not from general tax dollars.

Adding to the backlog of applications is that the state gives a priority to renewal forms, to avoid cases of gun owners unknowingly having their permits expire or to catch cases in which permit holders have broken the law.

Asked about the surge in gun permit applications, Gov. Charlie Crist said: "I'm pro-gun. I think people ought to have the right to protect themselves, and if people want to get new certificates, that's their constitutional right ... If they use those instruments responsibly and prudently and within the bounds of the law, everything should be fine."

The state senator in Crist's hometown of St. Petersburg, a Democrat, disagreed. "More guns is never a good thing, especially in an urban area," said Sen. Charlie Justice. "There are very few areas of our city that have not been touched by gun violence."

Bronson said it's a positive thing that people would seek to legally own a concealed weapon. "That's the reason why people get concealed weapons, so that if they are threatened with their life they can defend themselves and their family and their property. And this is the right way to do it."

Miami Herald political writer Beth Reinhard and Times/Herald researcher Lynette Norris contributed to this report. Steve Bousquet can be reached at bousquet@sptimes.com or (850) 224-7263.
    Some good comments from Crist and Bronson.
    Another Lib-idiot in Sen. Justice.

And WE all know, it's all because of crime.
    Not common sense, not His Highness, just crime and the economy.
    After all, tough times turn all formerly law-abiding citizens into criminals. Sure...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I'm impressed with the Governor, but that Senator may be the smartest most common sense guy yet.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Mr Bronson's first name is Charles! Love it.

Wow, 90k applications a year? Holy Cow Batman....
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I love living in Florida... to Governor Christ and Charles Bronson

I live in GA, and Fla riciprocates. + 1 for Crist

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Well I have to say; I'm impressed that the article shows both sides of an arguement, quotes by two elected officials, without any obvious bias in the article. I certianly don't agree with Justice but this is how the media is supposed to behave.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    "Blamed"????
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links