Live To Tell (48 Hours)

Live To Tell (48 Hours)

This is a discussion on Live To Tell (48 Hours) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Did anyone watch last 48 Hours on Saturday 2-21. The story was incredible; mistakes by the victims their tragedy, and absolutely amazing terminal ballistics. Here ...

Thread: Live To Tell (48 Hours)

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Live To Tell (48 Hours)

Did anyone watch last 48 Hours on Saturday 2-21. The story was incredible; mistakes by the victims their tragedy, and absolutely amazing terminal ballistics. Here is a link to the entire story 48 Hours "Live to Tell".

Here is the spoiler to the story:

The short story: a college age couple is abducted by an armed drunk, they allowed the drunk kidnapper to take them away without resistance. The male victim had access to a baseball bat but did not resist when they reached a remote location. The female victim was raped; then both victims where shot in the head with a 9mm handgun then thrown into a river. Both victims got to shore alive after being shot in the head, amazing. They were rescued at the shore by a hunter who recognize their wounds as bullet wounds; the the hunter bless his sole flagged down the first car he saw; thank God it was not the kidnapper/rapist. In the hospital the male victim was able to ID the attacker from a photo lineup; great police work had the atacker in custody the next morning. So what if any lessons can we take away from this tragic episode.

I'll start:

1- never willingly go with an abductor
    2- resist in the face of fear
    3- you can survive a massive GSW
    4- even head shots with a major caliber do not immediately incapacitate
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    FIGHT! What was he doing while she was getting raped?! DO SOMETHING!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

good lessons. I think this was covered before, and a lot of doctors will tell you that many suicide attempts with guns fail. Your brain isn't all that important for the most part :-) . Unless you hit the functions that are vital to breath, you can do without much of it.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    ... I think this was covered before ...
    Sorry if it was, I searched under the victims names etc and did not find anything. The original incident happened a few years ago, but the 48 Hours is a new story. I was just struck by the entire event especially the cruelty of the attacker and the complacency of the victims.

Regards,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    The next time Babner is gonna get out of prison, hes gonna be in a box.
    Hope it is true.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I was making comments like "why didn't they run" and "if you know your going to die, why not at least try"... my wife said "would you shut up and let me hear the show"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Sanford Strong put out a video, Strong Against Crime, in 1996. You may remember him from his crime avoidance/survival vignettes on America's Most Wanted. One of his key principles was, "Never go to crime scene #2; avoid it at all cost--it must be your line in the sand. Always take the risk in a public place, never put it off until later."
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    . Your brain isn't all that important for the most part :-) . Unless you hit the functions that are vital to breath, you can do without much of it.
    Actually my oldest son's neurosurgeon said much the same thing before doing a procedure. He said he could remove a third of kids brain and after the hair grew back we would never know the difference. Unfortunately he said the older we get the less able we are to adapt to it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I was making comments like "why didn't they run" and "if you know your going to die, why not at least try"... my wife said "would you shut up and let me hear the show"!
    Sounds like MY lady's comments!

I saw it and figured that these two young adults had no idea what to do.
    They just saw the gun and they were little sheeplings. First thing for me was to never get in the truck and make as much noise as I could. The guy was being "guarded" by the dog in back of the truck and did nothing when this girl was being raped. Then they were shot walking towards the water.
    At what point do you realize that your life is worth fighting for?

from the OPs story: This is what happens when we have "zero tolerence" BS for fighting in schools. Kids, with some exceptions, don't know or are taught fighting is always wrong...that violence won't solve anything...but in this case, violence wasn't going to solve the BGs problem, it was going to stop a rapist.

Kids need to learn it is ok to defend yourself from assailants...that it is ok (if not required) to fight back. My boys are as kindhearted as can be (as I'm told by others), but they know they can fight back if they are defending themselves--they won't be in trouble by me.

Lo be the school administrator who plays the "zero tolerance" card...because when it comes to family, I don't fight fair. Guarantee I will get a background check of the other party--and will use it to my kids advantage.

Now, if for some reason my kid is the aggressor? Oh, it will be dealt with at home.
    ....sorry for the rant...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It is a horror of a story. What can one say? Hindsight is easy, more so when it is about someone else's trauma. Years later they still seem young for their age. I can sit here and imagine that I was never that naive - but I was not there. I wish then peace.

When the boy said he had seen a baseball bat in the back of the truck where HE WAS while his girlfriend was being raped in the front I had to shake my head and wonder. What the hell was he waiting for the cavalry to come to the rescue? Few have the mentality to fight for themselves anymore they think the police will pull in at the last moment and save the day. It was terrible what they went through and they were very lucky for the duck hunter that happened to be there, but they did nothing to fight for their life.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    FIGHT! What was he doing while she was getting raped?! DO SOMETHING!
    Right? Um no buddy, you're gonna have to kill me before you rape my wife or any other woman for that matter if Im around.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If somebody is going to attempt to rape or kill me they better get a better and faster shot than I do, I'm not going to wait around to see what they have planned for me next.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Sponsored Links