AD by off duty officer at MN gun show

This is a discussion on AD by off duty officer at MN gun show within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I would guess the retention device is in the trigger housing, Pistol grip catches and pushes against trigger? Wouldn't happen with an external safety....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AD by off duty officer at MN gun show

I would guess the retention device is in the trigger housing, Pistol grip catches and pushes against trigger?
    Wouldn't happen with an external safety.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I can see it happening. There is a certain company that makes very crappy duty holsters that this can happen... it well known among those in the know. I'll reserve further comment for later.

Wouldn't you being "in the know" want to save others from buying a dangerous product?

Quote Originally Posted by itowbigtruck View Post
    I would guess the retention device is in the trigger housing, Pistol grip catches and pushes against trigger?
    That's what i'm thinking and if the trigger guard area of the holster has enough forward movement ,the grip gets hung up on chair arm and pushes gun into holster forcing trigger back and gun discharges.I remember when I was in Law Enforcement about 30 years ago we weren't allowed to sit in chairs with arms while wearing a gun.Pre Glock days when most departments isuued revolvers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itowbigtruck View Post
    *cough cough cough* wrong *cough cough cough cough*

Last I knew, they had to carry guns with external safeties, but that was last I knew.

I will have to fire off an email to friend of mine who is retired their but still does some training. Come to think of it, I hope he wasn't the retired cop that got injured, because he hasn't been returning calls to see if he wants to come out and turkey hunt.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I know a lot of folks think that only LEOs are competent to be armed--sure shoots a hole in that position (pun intended)...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Waaaaaaait a minute......

I feel the need to shout...

THERE IS NO ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE...................

I put my booger hook in the bang switch and it went off...................

NOT AN AD

A ND

Negligence

Period

End of statement.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

If it had been one of us, I feel like we would have gone down hard and definitely been arrested, at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Wonder how long it will take someone to try and use that excuse as a defense in MN?
    MN resident, filing that thought away......
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Wouldn't you being "in the know" want to save others from buying a dangerous product?
    I think that is an unfair characterization...it is a big country and as you know, there are many schools of thought, LEO organizations and state guidlines. I am betting the word as been put out...doesn't mean they (State, LEO organ or LEO) have to follow it.

It does remind me of the pilot that had an AD/ND (whatever floats) in the cockpit...the word had been put out by the pilots that the holster set-up was dangerous PRIOR to the AD/ND in the cockpit...a number of AD/NDs had occurred at the range. Still made no difference to prevent the cockpit incident.

Rick

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Sure, but it would be pointless now. The holster has since been redesigned, and no longer available to the open market in that configuration.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is not too far off from the Pilot who fired a round when he accidently placed the lock in front of the trigger and had to push the gun down to get the hammer strap snapped,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    This is not too far off from the Pilot who fired a round when he accidently placed the lock in front of the trigger and had to push the gun down to get the hammer strap snapped,
    Hehe...I think that is what I said...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sure, but it would be pointless now. The holster has since been redesigned, and no longer available to the open market in that configuration.
    Gotcha, it just sounded like some top secret thing from that post I quoted though. Just trying to save somebody from a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think that is an unfair characterization...it is a big country and as you know, there are many schools of thought, LEO organizations and state guidlines. I am betting the word as been put out...doesn't mean they (State, LEO organ or LEO) have to follow it.

It does remind me of the pilot that had an AD/ND (whatever floats) in the cockpit...the word had been put out by the pilots that the holster set-up was dangerous PRIOR to the AD/ND in the cockpit...a number of AD/NDs had occurred at the range. Still made no difference to prevent the cockpit incident.

Rick
    SIXTO replied that the holster he was describing is no longer available to the public in a dangerous setup. I am OK with his reply(meaning problem solved).
    As for the pilot story you made, sorry but I never heard of that. Which is why I made my post they way I did. If you know of something bad, repeat it many times so everybody knows about it. Even the few of us that are out of the loop. The less accidents that happen the better of we are as a group.

I was at that show with a few friends, and apparently left right before the excitement happened. Some of the local guys who saw it said there was a huge armed response by the Minneapolis PD SWAT team, complete with dogs. AR-15s, and ninja suits. It's a shame we left when we did, because it'd have added some entertainment to an otherwise disappointing morning (the gun show was full of a bunch of overpriced junk).

As far as the cop who had the 'AD' suffering any kind of consequences goes, don't hold your breath. There are usually several incidents a year that involve Minneapolis cops and their guns; those that aren't swept under the rug usually result in some sort of paid leave for the officers involved, if anything. You or I would have been in cuffs, gun and permit confiscated, before we knew what hit us....but that's another story altogether.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links