AD by off duty officer at MN gun show - Page 3

AD by off duty officer at MN gun show

This is a discussion on AD by off duty officer at MN gun show within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by bandit383 Hehe...I think that is what I said... Rick I missed that part of your post,...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AD by off duty officer at MN gun show

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hehe...I think that is what I said...

Rick
    I missed that part of your post,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    That's almost as bad a being in uniform and being caught at a donuts shop... no wait... it worse!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Ron
    I know that a lot of you don't agree, but that is why I carry guns with a manual thumb safety.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Administrator
    A lot of you guys are missing a huge point. Some of you are bent out of shape because you feel that because this guy is a LEO he wont be punished.

I ask you this; If he is acting under the authority of the municipality, and his own actions don't rise to the point of negligent, reckless or even knowingly, how can that same city prosecute him? Think about it...
    "Just blame Sixto"

I feel safer, don't you?

I don't mean to be disrespectful; I'm just going to bring up a few things for the sake of debate.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A lot of you guys are missing a huge point. Some of you are bent out of shape because you feel that because this guy is a LEO he wont be punished.
    I'd say that's pretty accurate, though, wouldn't you? His superior went on record the day it happened, and said there would be no consequences for the officer.

I ask you this; If he is acting under the authority of the municipality, and his own actions don't rise to the point of negligent, reckless or even knowingly, how can that same city prosecute him? Think about it...
    I think those issues are usually resolved by moving the case to another jurisdiction, aren't they? And let me ask you this: at what point is causing a handgun to fire into a crowd not negligent? If I had been hit by that round (as I very well could have been, as I was there just before it happened), the fact that the officer was acting under the authority of the city would not have made me any less dead or wounded. I don't see how the fact that he was acting under anyone's authority has any bearing on the fact that he had a ND and wounded someone.

If anything, the officer's superior training and equipment should cause him to be held to a higher standard than the rest of us....but that part is just my humble opinion.

I'm pretty sure that a civilian, under exactly the same set of circumstances, using exactly the same equipment, would have gone straight to jail.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

If it was an accident and something as simple as a holster getting caught or whatnot. Investigate rule it and AD and let it go to civil court if anything.

However, if he was fiddling with the gun and caused it to go off putting back in the holster or whatever then charge him. But I don't think that SIXTO is suggesting that the officer is above the law simply because he is an LEO, or the same rules don't apply, etc.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    If it was an accident and something as simple as a holster getting caught or whatnot. Investigate rule it and AD and let it go to civil court if anything.

However, if he was fiddling with the gun and caused it to go off putting back in the holster or whatever then charge him. But I don't think that SIXTO is suggesting that the officer is above the law simply because he is an LEO, or the same rules don't apply, etc.
    Here's what the law says about it:

609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS.
    Subdivision 1.Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes.(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):

(1) recklessly handles or uses a gun or other dangerous weapon or explosive so as to endanger the safety of another;

I'm not sure if carrying a holstered firearm can be considered "handling or using" or not....a prosecutor could probably go either way on this. I can't find anything in the statutes specifically addressing a ND.

As far as what SIXTO meant by his post, we'll let him clarify it when he gets a chance.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    that's certainly an awkward incident...glad everyone is ok.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links