Scary - 11 y/o Shotguns Pregnant Mom - Wampum, PA

This is a discussion on Scary - 11 y/o Shotguns Pregnant Mom - Wampum, PA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Warden: Jail can't accommodate slaying suspect, 11 PITTSBURGH – A jail warden said Sunday he will ask a judge to move an 11-year-old boy accused ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary - 11 y/o Shotguns Pregnant Mom - Wampum, PA

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Scary - 11 y/o Shotguns Pregnant Mom - Wampum, PA

Warden: Jail can't accommodate slaying suspect, 11

PITTSBURGH – A jail warden said Sunday he will ask a judge to move an 11-year-old boy accused of killing his father's pregnant girlfriend from an adult lockup to a juvenile detention center because the jail cannot accommodate the boy.

Lawrence County Warden Charles Adamo said his 300-inmate jail cannot offer proper long-term care for Jordan Brown, of Wampum, who was charged Saturday with using his own 20-gauge shotgun to kill 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk.

Houk was eight months pregnant with the child of Brown's father and also had two daughters, ages 4 and 7, who lived together in the rural home where authorities said she was slain as she lay in bed Friday.

Police said the boy then hopped onto a school bus with Houk's oldest daughter. State troopers apprehended him at school after tree trimmers called 911 when Houk's youngest daughter told them she thought her mother was dead.

The boy has been held in a jail about 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh since early Saturday, Adamo said. Brown faces a preliminary hearing on Thursday to determine if he'll stand trial. He was charged as an adult because Pennsylvania law allows prosecutors to charge children as young as 10 with criminal homicide.

Brown's attorney, Dennis Elisco, said he planned to file motions on Monday asking a judge to move the case to juvenile court and to let the boy's father post bail so the boy can be freed.

"I want him to be occupied and busy and back, essentially, in school," Elisco said.

Adamo said the boy was being held in one of four 10-by-8-foot cells in the jail's booking area, where officials check on him every 15 minutes.

He said the boy cannot receive visitors — except for his attorney — because doing so would require him to mingle with adult inmates. Even something as simple as letting the boy shower would require locking down a cellblock, most of which hold up to 63 inmates, Adamo said.

Elisco said jail officials couldn't even find clothes to fit the 4-foot-8-inch boy.

"They put a shirt on him; he's swimming in it, and his pants are cuffed up about 10 times," he said.

Elisco said the boy has not confessed to the shooting. He said he didn't believe the physical evidence would support police's claim that the boy killed Houk, execution-style, with one shot to the back of her head.

Police and Lawrence County District Attorney John Bongivengo haven't discussed a motive, though Houk's family and friends told The Associated Press that jealousy might have been an issue.

"He actually told my son that he wanted to do that to her," Houk's brother-in-law, Jason Kraner, said Saturday. "There was an issue with jealousy."

Elisco dismissed the claims, saying "there's no animosity."

Patricia Papernow, a psychologist from Hudson, Mass., and expert on blended families, said tensions from combining families, as Brown's father and Houk were doing, were "pretty normal in a new stepfamily."

"It looks awful from the outside and sort of unspeakable, but these are the kinds of feelings that are pretty normal in a new stepfamily," Papernow said. "You just hope there's not a loaded gun around."
    Wow,

If you are the school principal, would you let this little monster (assuming he did kill his mother) back on school property? I certainly would not.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

"It looks awful from the outside and sort of unspeakable, but these are the kinds of feelings that are pretty normal in a new stepfamily," Papernow said. "You just hope there's not a loaded gun around."
    Wanting to kill a newcomer is NORMAL?! Are you crazy, woman?!

This has NOTHING to do with having a "loaded gun." What an idiot. The shotgun didn't make him a killer; something else did.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Again...I think the father should also face charges for allowing access to the shotgun. But also could of happened with a hammer. Tragic all around. Apparently the warning signs were all there...but once again, no one in the family or even other students and parents said or did anything to prevent the tragedy.

Rick

mrm
    There was obviously more problems in the home than everyone is aware of no one can make a judgment call without having been there, but unless some other observation has been made the father should not be found liable for the shotgun, it was only the tool as the kitchen knife can be, open that door and parents will be liable for everything their children do. Raise up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it when he is older

VIP Member
    Don't you just love it when the biggest problem is that there is a gun around? I don't think an 11 year old should have unsupervised access to it, but that's not the REAL problem here.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The warning signs were there and no one took action.What a shame. I feel that this could have been prevented If someone had just followed up on the threat. The shot gun should have been locked up but there are a lot of other weapons he could of used.The warning signs were sure there. As for the lawyer wanting this kid back in school , that's crazy. What would the boy do if one of his class mates ticked him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    The warning signs were there and no one took action.What a shame. I feel that this could have been prevented If someone had just followed up on the threat. The shot gun should have been locked up but there are a lot of other weapons he could of used.The warning signs were sure there. As for the lawyer wanting this kid back in school , that's crazy. What would the boy do if one of his class mates ticked him off.
    I agree this kid gets out walking around and he will think he can get away with anything,and you know his class mates will be talking behind his back and he will get a feeling they are so then what we end up with a buncha stuudents stabbed because he felt like it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

drag that kid out and shoot him, he clearly knew what he was doing, little pos
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

"He actually told my son that he wanted to do that to her," Houk's brother-in-law, Jason Kraner, said Saturday. "There was an issue with jealousy."
    I think think that pretty much says it all right there. Premeditated. He would have found another way. The shotgun was just handy.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    hello guys...let's wait until he is tried and convicted please
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

happened fairly close to my area....

BTW...

Not that it really matters, but the shotgun was a youth model 20 gauge. He might have been trusted to have access to it.
    I had a youth .243 Model 7 that was kept in my room when i was 10?
    Of course I lived in a VERY rural setting, not Wampum.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    I had a youth .243 Model 7 that was kept in my room when i was 10?
    Of course I lived in a VERY rural setting, not Wampum.
    I'm guessing, though, that your parents obtained it for you, right? And that they had taught you a healthy respect for firearms? And that they had the judgment to determine that you were safe in owning a firearm?

I have a hard time believing that juvenile perpetrators of gun crimes had that kind of loving education that you and I have had.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Personally I don't believe access to a weapon will influence anyone in their right mind to take a life. Its the way you are raised.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by LinkT View Post
    I'm guessing, though, that your parents obtained it for you, right? And that they had taught you a healthy respect for firearms? And that they had the judgment to determine that you were safe in owning a firearm?

I have a hard time believing that juvenile perpetrators of gun crimes had that kind of loving education that you and I have had.

Yes, that is exactly my point. My parents gave me the rifle. Just like this 11yr old was given the shotgun (probably....guessing here really though) by his.

I agree that proper training was probably not done.

However, this little monster probably would have done it the same if the parents had sent him to FrontSite or what have you for a month.
    IMO, anyway.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

The kid wrapped the shotgun in a blanket and walked into the bedroom where he shot her while she was sleeping,When somebody in your house has threatened to kill you etc. as long as they live there it is almost impossible to defend against.You lock up the guns,they get a knife.you lock up the knives,they get a baseball bat or hammer,or axe,orany one of a number of household instruments that can be used as a weapon.The kids attorney made a comment he doesn't believe he did it,I would say to him really then why don't you let him stay in your house while he awaits sentencing,and see if your still as sure about his innocence when you put your family in jeopardy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links