GOOD: Don't Bring A Stun Gun To A Gunfight - Kansas City, KS

This is a discussion on GOOD: Don't Bring A Stun Gun To A Gunfight - Kansas City, KS within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; KC police identify robber shot by store owner - Kansas City Star Kansas City police today identified a robbery suspect who died after being shot ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

KC police identify robber shot by store owner - Kansas City Star

Kansas City police today identified a robbery suspect who died after being shot by a store owner and involved in a car wreck Sunday afternoon.

Christopher L. Kublic, 28, moved to Kansas City from the state of Washington within the past month, police said.

Along with another man, Kublic allegedly tried to hold up a hydroponics store using a stun gun about 5:15 p.m. Sunday in the 3600 block of St. John Avenue, in the city’s Northeast neighborhood. The store owner told police he pulled his own gun and shot the robber.

Shortly after the holdup, a vehicle matching the suspects’ was found overturned about three blocks away.

Kublic was lying next to the wrecked vehicle. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The second suspect remained at-large this afternoon, police said.
    Good on the store owner.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

They held up a store for water,I just turn my tap on and it comes out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why choose a stun gun for your weapon of choice? Does that give you less time than using a real gun.

Taser brought out their lower cost C2 model a while back and started selling them at home parties, a la Tupperware. I saw a news story on it where they were selling them as defensive tools. I guarantee that LEO's use their firearms when they feel threatened, not their Tasers. Tasers, like pepper spray, are used to gain the compliance of a suspect and so are used more in the offensive than the defensive.

Now, using the Taser as an offensive weapon to commit a robbery? I can see it. It won't get you charged with using a firearm; probably just simple assault, so it makes some sense. It would definitely convince your victim to cooperate, and you won't have to use deadly force to get that cooperation. When your victim pulls a gun, all bets are off, just as they are for BG's who use fists or knives to committ their crimes.

Doesn't the store owner escalate the level of force for using deadly force against a Taser? I think shooting a Taser bandit puts you at legal risk.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Doesn't the store owner escalate the level of force for using deadly force against a Taser? I think shooting a Taser bandit puts you at legal risk.
    With the decent number of Taser related deaths in the news recently, I can see a lawyer making a successful argument that the victim was in fear for his life from a taser-wielding thug.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Shoot a man who was going to taser him. Is this improper escalation?

In my mind any criminal intent upon me that places me at their mercy, be it a taser, a crudgel, or overwhelming superiority in numbers, constitutes an immediate threat of serious bodily harm or death because I am no longer in control of my own destiny. By that I mean that once the taser is employed and I am incapable of further defense of myself I am at the mercy of criminals whose intent can only be established after the fact. Once I hit the ground they can kill me at will by beating me to death. Tasers can also be improperly used and in a manner that constitutes an immediate threat of serious bodily injury or death. When a bad guy produces any weapon, and a taser is a weapon, they have made me fear for my safety.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Shoot a man who was going to taser him. Is this improper escalation?

In my mind any criminal intent upon me that places me at their mercy, be it a taser, a crudgel, or overwhelming superiority in numbers, constitutes an immediate threat of serious bodily harm or death because I am no longer in control of my own destiny. By that I mean that once the taser is employed and I am incapable of further defense of myself I am at the mercy of criminals whose intent can only be established after the fact. Once I hit the ground they can kill me at will by beating me to death. Tasers can also be improperly used and in a manner that constitutes an immediate threat of serious bodily injury or death. When a bad guy produces any weapon, and a taser is a weapon, they have made me fear for my safety.

+1 - my thoughts exactly
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Taser brought out their lower cost C2 model a while back and started selling them at home parties, a la Tupperware. I saw a news story on it where they were selling them as defensive tools. I guarantee that LEO's use their firearms when they feel threatened, not their Tasers. Tasers, like pepper spray, are used to gain the compliance of a suspect and so are used more in the offensive than the defensive.

Now, using the Taser as an offensive weapon to commit a robbery? I can see it. It won't get you charged with using a firearm; probably just simple assault, so it makes some sense. It would definitely convince your victim to cooperate, and you won't have to use deadly force to get that cooperation. When your victim pulls a gun, all bets are off, just as they are for BG's who use fists or knives to committ their crimes.

I don't know what a taser looks like -- I thought they look a lot like a gun. As a c-store owner, if someone pulls something that looks like a gun, I'm not waiting around to find out if it is only a taser.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I think you would probably get charged with more than simple assault. I have a friend who got charged with aggravated because his class ring was on.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Silly pot heads...
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links