GOOD: Burglary Victim Speaks Out - Las Vagas, NV

This is a discussion on GOOD: Burglary Victim Speaks Out - Las Vagas, NV within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Burglary victim/shooter speaks out - Las Vegas- msnbc.com The man who shot and killed a burglar over the weekend is speaking out exclusively to News ...

Thread: GOOD: Burglary Victim Speaks Out - Las Vagas, NV

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Burglary Victim Speaks Out - Las Vagas, NV

Burglary victim/shooter speaks out - Las Vegas- msnbc.com

The man who shot and killed a burglar over the weekend is speaking out exclusively to News 3. Paul Witte says his instincts took over when he saw a man coming at him with a gun in his own home.

Witte says he didn't know at the time that the gun was actually a pellet gun and he reacted as quickly as he could to save his life.

Paul Witte says he knew right away someone was in his house last Sunday. After unlocking a lock he never bolts, he spotted his laptop and other possessions piled in a suitcase on his living room floor.

"I have a philosophy," Witte told News 3. "A little paranoia is better than a lot dead. So I pulled my weapon; I chambered a round."

Witte, who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, walked towards the back of his trailer. That's when he says a man came out of the back bedroom pointing a pistol at him with both hands. "He comes around the corner at speed, pistol leading and bop, bop, bop."

The man would later be identified as 42-year-old Mark Vains.

"Once I saw the weapon - there isn't a thought process. If there's a thought process you're in the morgue instead of him."

Witte says the pellet gun was a replica of a 45 caliber handgun. He says he didn't know it wasn't a real gun until officers told him. Now that the knows, he says that regardless, Vains never should have been in his home in the first place.

"I didn't create the situation. I reacted to his actions. I have no remorse about that whatsoever."

Vains has a criminal record that stretches back to 1992. It includes multiple burglary, auto theft, and receiving stolen property charges.

As to why Vains picked his house, Witte says he doesn't have a clue. "The landlord is a nice guy and we only pay $625 a month, but it's a dump. You know if you're going to hit a house this isn't where you're going to find thousands of dollars."

Homicide detectives call the situation "clean shoot" and say they don't expect the D.A.'s office to file charges.
    Good on Mr. Witte, in an adrenaline-filled situation I doubt anyone would've been able to tell it was a pellet gun, or airsoft, or whatever. Obviously Mr. Witte's training and instincts kicked in, and he did what needed to be done.

Doesn't sound like he will lose any sleep over the matter.

EDIT: I don't think Mr. Witte should be saying anything until after the DA has decided not bring any charges.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

The man who shot and killed a burglar over the weekend is speaking out exclusively to News 3. Paul Witte says his instincts took over when he saw a man coming at him with a gun in his own home.

Witte says he didn't know at the time that the gun was actually a pellet gun and he reacted as quickly as he could to save his life.

Paul Witte says he knew right away someone was in his house last Sunday. After unlocking a lock he never bolts, he spotted his laptop and other possessions piled in a suitcase on his living room floor.

"I have a philosophy," Witte told News 3. "A little paranoia is better than a lot dead. So I pulled my weapon; I chambered a round."

Witte, who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, walked towards the back of his trailer. That's when he says a man came out of the back bedroom pointing a pistol at him with both hands. "He comes around the corner at speed, pistol leading and bop, bop, bop."

The man would later be identified as 42-year-old Mark Vains.

"Once I saw the weapon - there isn't a thought process. If there's a thought process you're in the morgue instead of him."

Witte says the pellet gun was a replica of a 45 caliber handgun. He says he didn't know it wasn't a real gun until officers told him. Now that the knows, he says that regardless, Vains never should have been in his home in the first place.

"I didn't create the situation. I reacted to his actions. I have no remorse about that whatsoever."

Vains has a criminal record that stretches back to 1992. It includes multiple burglary, auto theft, and receiving stolen property charges.

As to why Vains picked his house, Witte says he doesn't have a clue. "The landlord is a nice guy and we only pay $625 a month, but it's a dump. You know if you're going to hit a house this isn't where you're going to find thousands of dollars."

Homicide detectives call the situation "clean shoot" and say they don't expect the D.A.'s office to file charges.
    Okay, that could have almost cost him his life.
    A real gun, a few seconds earlier, and Mr Witte would be in the paper along with his obituary.

Good he was armed. Bad he didn't have a round chambered.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    What happened to "Keep your mouth shut."

"So I pulled my weapon; I chambered a round."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

regardless, Vains never should have been in his home in the first place.
    Bingo.

Yeh, he should have had a round chambered already. Real gun and he likely would have been shot and killed.

VIP Member
    I hope "I have no remorse about that whatsoever." doesn't come back to bite him on the butt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I didn't create the situation. I reacted to his actions. I have no remorse about that whatsoever.

Right attitude, wrong way to express it.

Too bad not all defensive handgun instructors cover keeping one's mouth shut.
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Hope he starts keeping one in the chamber. Seconds do count!

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Hope he starts keeping one in the chamber. Seconds do count!

Michael

+1!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

One in the chamber before, mouth shut after.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Links