Permit holder involved: Man shot, killed after quarrel over traffic accident

This is a discussion on Permit holder involved: Man shot, killed after quarrel over traffic accident within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No real details as of yet, but I don't know what is up what is up with permit holders and automobiles in Memphis. This is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permit holder involved: Man shot, killed after quarrel over traffic accident

Permit holder involved: Man shot, killed after quarrel over traffic accident

No real details as of yet, but I don't know what is up what is up with permit holders and automobiles in Memphis. This is the second case this month.

Man shot, killed after quarrel over traffic accident : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

2. Remove Ads

Just not enough information yet to make any kind of judgment, and the permit holder is yet to be charged for any crime.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    1) They knew each other

2) Had a minor car accident

3) Goes home after the shooting??

4) Taken into custody

5) Not charged (yet)

Lots of missing pieces...leaving the scene for one.

Rick

The article:
    Man shot, killed after quarrel over traffic accident
    By Hank Dudding (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Friends and relatives piled stuffed animals this morning at the site in Binghamton where a 26-year-old man was shot to death after a minor traffic accident.

Memphis police identified the victim this afternoon as Terrell Beasley, 26, of Memphis, but wouldn't identify the 34-year-old suspect, who was taken into custody after the incident Monday on Columbia just south of Ogden.

Neighbors knew Beasley as “Red,” and the other man as “Tino.”

Shelica Cox drove to the scene from Raleigh to put two stuffed bears on the makeshift memorial in a yard on Columbia.

“I knew him. I just saw him. It's senseless and sad,” said Cox, who attended Berclair Elementary with Beasley.

“It's just stupid, so stupid,” she said. “You grew up with him, you see him, and then it ends like this. It's just devastating.”

The shooting followed a minor traffic accident Monday at 4:45 p.m., police said, when Beasley turned his Honda Civic south onto Columbia from Ogden, sideswiping the other man's 1998 Ford Taurus, which was idling at a stop sign.

The two motorists argued, then the man who drove the Taurus shot Beasley, police said.

Alice Williams, 72, who lives in the 700 block of Columbia, was cooking dinner at the time.

“I heard the first shot,” she said. “And then I heard another shot.”

When she went outside, Beasley was unresponsive. He died at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis a half-hour later.

The suspect, who was licensed to carry the .40-caliber gun, went to his home on Ogden and waited for police. He hasn't been charged.

A man who answered the door at the home Tuesday morning identified himself as Tino's uncle, but declined comment.

Williams said she knew both men and that each had helped her in the past with tasks around her house.

“They were both real nice guys. They were both friends, but they had a little accident.

“But I guess you can get mad enough at a friend to do something, if you want to.”

— Hank Dudding

Second stupid killing in Memphis in just a few weeks involving permit holders. Morons are making us look like knuckle draggers... and my wife wonders why I carry around here??

A whole lot of questions left unanswered. We don't even one complete side of the story. Was the deceased in his vehicle or out of his vehicle when shot? Did he have any kind of a weapon? Did he threaten or attack the shooter in any way? What is the history between these two guys other than knowing each other?
    IMHO not enough info to form an informed opinion.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Good grief...what's in the water in Memphis?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Nah... there is more to this story we arent being told.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Good grief...what's in the water in Memphis?
    We moved to a MS suburb of Memphis about 6 years ago, and it's just going downhill more every year. The way they're being managed, and taxed, it's no wonder our county is the fastest growing county around (people who actually EARN their money don't prefer giving it to criminals masquerading as politicians, apparently). Of course, the criminal element will follow the money, so here we goooo....

Man Charged in Fatal Shooting After Traffic Accident

By Jody Callahan (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Memphis police investigators have charged Martino Johnson, 34, with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Terrelle Beasley, 26, after a traffic accident Monday.

The incident began at Ogden and Columbia near Binghamton about 4:40 p.m. Monday. After Beasley’s Honda Civic side-swiped Johnson’s Ford Taurus, the pair got out of their cars and started arguing.

According to a police affidavit, Johnson pulled his .40-caliber handgun, which he was licensed to carry, and shot Beasley three times.

Then, as a witness was calling 911, Johnson pointed the gun at the witness and threatened to shoot him as well, police said.

Beasley was taken to the Regional Medical Center at Memphis, where he died about a half hour later.

Officers arrested Johnson Monday in his home in the 2500 block of Ogden after they spotted his car in the driveway a short time after the shooting.
    Well the fact that he turned and pointed the gun at a witness who was just calling 911 doesn't bode well for his case.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree there are too many "missing pieces" to this, but it is my understanding as a CCW holder I am held to a higher degree. In a argument, it is my job to "walk away" and call Law Enforcement when possible, not argue back, but try to "cool out" the incident. If they other guy won't "cool" and doesn't give one a chance to call the Law, that would tie my hands. If the guy is attacking, that would be checkmate. It will be interesting to see what the entire story is.

Just saw your post, Barkn. This explains much and it doesn't look good for the man left standing.
    Last edited by Spirit51; February 25th, 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Just saw a post that explains more.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

When you mix 'stupid' with gun powder you'll always get trouble.
    It's so easy to either apologize or walk away.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got a?If you see 2 guys arguing one guy gets shot,do you get involved,then the shooter aims his gun at an innocent bystander,do you get involved or possibly let him shoot the person you know to be totally innocent after just watching him shoot somebody
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

duk... seriously, that's a call you are going to have to make for yourself.

Now of course, I have no stats on this, and no "studies", but as a general rule, little good comes from sticking your nose into other peoples arguments. Especially when we are talking about a civilian taking his/her lawfully concealed weapon from it's holster and start shooting people. (<--- I'm referring to the 3rd party, would be rescuer here.)

However, that said, it would take some pretty grievous acts of carnage for me to just jump in with my gun and start shooting in order to defend someone who is not known to me and who only appears at first blush to be an innocent bystander.

Knowing that "things usually aren't always as they seem", I'm going to have to be darn certain in my mind who the BG's are and what are the true facts of the situation.

It's not outside the realm of possibility for me to, "from behind cover", shout a verbal challenge out to the person with the gun, and then, if that person turns and tries to and engage me... then I'm on more solid ground to use lethal force to defend myself from the threat as opposed to me trying to defend some whole other person which I do not know.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links