Good neighbor shoots man attacking woman

This is a discussion on Good neighbor shoots man attacking woman within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2/26/2009 - Neighbor Shoots Man Allegedly Threatening Woman - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com Neighbor Shoots Man Allegedly Threatening Woman posted February 26, 2009 Chattanooga Police ...

Thread: Good neighbor shoots man attacking woman

Good neighbor shoots man attacking woman

2/26/2009 - Neighbor Shoots Man Allegedly Threatening Woman - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

Neighbor Shoots Man Allegedly Threatening Woman
    posted February 26, 2009

Chattanooga Police said a man is in critical condition after an early morning shooting at 5010 Harley Lane.

Police received a call of a shooting and, upon their arrival, found James Hunt, 26, suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest.

According to officers, Katie Hunt said her soon-to-be husband, James Hunt, had called her and family members several times during the night and day threatening suicide. She said around 2 a.m. Hunt arrived at the apartment and began choking her. She said they fought around the house and Hunt continued to choke her.

A neighbor heard Mrs. Hunt screaming and yelling for help. He armed himself, got his cell phone and knocked on the door, asking if she was okay. When she told him no and asked for help, the neighbor forced the door open and found James Hunt standing over her with a knife.

Police said the neighbor fired one shot that struck Hunt in the chest. Mrs. Hunt then broke away and fled from the apartment.

Mrs. Hunt sustained injuries and was treated for them.

James Hunt was transported to Erlanger Hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

No charges have been filed at this time.

The investigation is still continuing.

Man hears fight next door. Goes over and finds man attacking woman and shoots him while he is standing over her with a knife.
    Last edited by pgrass101; February 27th, 2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Inserted article

2. Remove Ads

Someone needs to buy that neighbor a round of beer... and give him some range instruction time in the fine art of double taps.

Good one.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    +1 on the double tap. There's also the tried and true 2 quick COM, slower follow-up to the brain pan.......
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    +1 on the double tap. There's also the tried and true 2 quick COM, slower follow-up to the brain pan.......
    +1 now that is a statment I can stand behind. with no lawsuite fallow-up.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    I wish the very best for the good neighbor.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Likewise.....
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

That's certinally a good neighbor.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Good job neighbor.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Shooting good.

Shooting fiance bad.

Hunt and Hunt soon to be married weird.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Shooting good.

Shooting fiance bad.

Hunt and Hunt soon to be married weird.
    Wow, I read that as soon to be ex-husband the first time as this is the type of crime usually associated with break ups (Just goes to show that you tend to see what you expect to see). Certainly odd.

Who wants to bet money on her getting back together with the scumbag ?

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Great job on the neighbors part... It sucks it was the fiance, but it can be anyone that strikes at anytime... And, he had a knife and... the rest is history?

VIP Member
    Just hope the neighbor comes out of this without any problems. As long as Ms Hunt backs his story he should be OK, but if she says she didn't ask for help he's in a hell of a lot of trouble. Hard to say how a domestic problem will play out.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just hope the neighbor comes out of this without any problems. As long as Ms Hunt backs his story he should be OK, but if she says she didn't ask for help he's in a hell of a lot of trouble. Hard to say how a domestic problem will play out.
    From what I have heard this is exactly why police hate to answer domestic violence calls. Sometimes the abused party turns on the police when they realize the other party is going to jail, or they decide they don't want to press charges because "he still loves me".

The police risk their safety, and accomplish nothing. Perhaps they should give the forgiving recipient a good

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I agree...and an heck of a legal bill either way (civil suit).

Rick

I almost learned that lesson the hard way, about getting involved in a domestic violence incident. I hospitalized a man who was beating a woman,later the woman changed her story. Luckily for me, the police had been called to their home many times for domestic violence and her first statement backed my side. That kind of stuff is common from what the police told me. It makes it hard to do the right thing.

Links