Two utility workers shot while working near a substation

This is a discussion on Two utility workers shot while working near a substation within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Note: AmerenUE is the local electric company that has been restoring power to counties hit hard by the ice storm several weeks ago. 02/28/2009 - ...

Thread: Two utility workers shot while working near a substation

Two utility workers shot while working near a substation

Note: AmerenUE is the local electric company that has been restoring power to counties hit hard by the ice storm several weeks ago.

02/28/2009 - Man in Jackson, Mo., wounds two Ameren workers and kills himself - STLtoday.com

Man in Jackson, Mo., wounds two Ameren workers and kills himself
    By Patrick M. O'Connell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/28/2009

Two AmerenUE workers were in stable condition Friday after being wounded by a gunman who opened fire on them without explanation in Jackson, Mo., and later killed himself.

It started about 9:30 a.m. near Interstate 55 and Highway 61-34 in Jackson, about 90 miles southeast of St. Louis.

Police Chief James Humphreys said five Ameren employees were working near a substation when the man drove up in a red Chevy S10 pickup, ordered two men down who were using bucket-truck lifts, opened fire with a shotgun and fled.

Authorities identified the shooter as Aaron C. Hemingway, 32, of Perryville, Mo.

"We don't know what his intentions were or why he did this," Humphreys said. "We're just as anxious as everyone else to find out why this guy did this."

It appeared that one worker was shot twice and the other once. They were taken to St. Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau, police said. Both underwent surgery. The two are "doing OK" and are listed in stable condition, Humphreys said. Their names were not released.

Ameren spokeswoman Susan Gallagher referred questions to police.

Guided by a tip from a sanitation worker listening to a police scanner, officers surrounded Hemingway's truck on Ridge Road in the Bent Creek subdivision about 20 minutes after he shot at the Ameren workers. He shot himself with the same weapon, Humphreys said, and died at the scene.

Investigators do not believe Hemingway knew his targets or was ever employed by Ameren. Its president, Thomas R. Voss, said, "In my 40 years with Ameren, nothing like this has ever happened before."

While some residents of southeastern Missouri suffered lengthy power disruptions from a recent ice storm, Jackson and the area where Hemingway lived were not affected.
    I'm guessing AmerenUE doesn't allow employees to carry guns at work.

I'm also guessing these two AmerenUE workers would rather not have been shot if they could have avoided it.

2. Remove Ads

I have a buddy who lives/works in that area for AmerenUE. The guys that were shot are recovering nicely. And yea they are not allowed to carry. He said they'll even give him a tough time for carrying a pocket knife. All he gets is a small can of Mace for dogs while hes out meter reading. I very strongly urged him to talk to his management about being able to defend himself, specially while he is out walking from house to house.

It's a good thing the BG was probably using birdshot instead of buckshot or slugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    I doubt even if they were carrying they could have stopped this.

You are up in your Cherry Picker working on some lines and I guy drives up and shoots you.

The only thing you can do is shoot back. This is a random crazy act and all most of us can do to it is react.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

We had something similar to that almost happen here in AR not more than 5 miles from me. A crew from PA was here to help get power back on for many of us during the recent ice storm and apparently these two "bubbas" approached and threatend the crew with guns..called them damn yankees and such..the crew refused to press charges thus no names were released. The crew did pack up and went home the following day, and I don't blame them.
    Many of us here would LOVE to know who these two morons are!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Links