LEOs 2; Dummies 0

LEOs 2; Dummies 0

This is a discussion on LEOs 2; Dummies 0 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2 Shot During Police Stop In Coweta County - News Story - WSB Atlanta 2 Shot During Police Stop In Coweta County Tuesday, March 3, ...

Thread: LEOs 2; Dummies 0

VIP Member

LEOs 2; Dummies 0

2 Shot During Police Stop In Coweta County - News Story - WSB Atlanta

2 Shot During Police Stop In Coweta County
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 – updated: 12:32 pm EST March 3, 2009

SENOIA, Ga. -- Two people were shot during a confrontation with police in Coweta County Tuesday morning, relatives of the victims told Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones.

Patricia Palmer with the Coweta County Police Department told Channel 2 Action News a Senoia police officer pulled over someone on Stallings Road just before 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Relatives of the driver said she kept going and pulled into the driveway of her home. Officers pulled in behind her.

The relatives told Jones the driver's brother and brother-in-law came out of the house and police ordered them back inside.

When they refused and one showed a shotgun, police shot both, according to the relatives. Both men were taken to Atlanta hospitals.

Richard Ferry with the city of Senoia confirmed that two officers involved in the shooting were not shot and are OK. Ferry could not say how many people were shot.

The GBI was called in to investigate, which is routine during a police involved shooting.

Please refresh this developing story for updates.

Copyright 2009 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Traffic stop. Car fails to stop. Pulls into driveway. Two relatives come out, one w/ shotgun. Refuse to go back in. Get shot.
    Last edited by pgrass101; March 3rd, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Included full story
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    The relatives told Jones the driver's brother and brother-in-law came out of the house and police ordered them back inside.

When they refused and one showed a shotgun, police shot both, according to the relatives. Both men were taken to Atlanta hospitals.
    I like how the relatives explain what happened.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Update: one of two shot used walker... both elderly

This update makes this a little interesting

Man In Walker Shot During Police Stop In Coweta County
    Posted: 10:44 am EST March 3, 2009
    Updated: 6:08 pm EST March 3, 2009

SENOIA, Ga. -- Police shot a 72-year-old man in a walker and a 61-year-old man during a confrontation in Coweta County Tuesday morning, relatives of the victims told Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones.

Patricia Palmer with the Coweta County Police Department told Channel 2 Action News a Senoia police officer tried to pulled over a woman in her 60s on Stallings Road just before 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Relatives of the driver said she kept going and pulled into the driveway of her home. Officers pulled in behind her.

When they refused and one showed a shotgun, police shot both, according to the relatives. One of the men, Napoleon Keith, 72, was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. The other, Charles Campbell, 61, was rushed to the Atlanta Medical Center.

Family members said Keith uses a walker.

Richard Ferry with the city of Senoia confirmed that two officers involved in the shooting were not shot and are OK.

The GBI was called in to investigate, which is routine during a police involved shooting.

When they refused and one showed a shotgun, police shot both, according to the relatives.
    The one with the shotgun sounds like a justified shoot. I would like to hear some more explanation of why they shot the second fellow who is not described as being armed.

72 or 27 walker or no walker that shotgun will kill you!

Quote Originally Posted by BIKERIDER View Post
    72 or 27 walker or no walker that shotgun will kill you!
    true - and the shoot of the guy with the shotgun will no doubt be ruled a good shoot, but if one of the men is using a walker, then it is likely the guy using the walker isn't the one carrying the shotgun (could be, but not likely).

Either way, it makes the totality of the circumstances for shooting both of them a little different...

I am just interested to see how that detail changes the initial impression of the event, much less the final determination

VIP Member

A little bit more info

Two injured in Senoia shooting - The Times-Herald

Published Tuesday, March 03, 2009 in Local

Two injured in Senoia shooting
    By Elizabeth Richardson

The Times-Herald

Few details are emerging about the officer-involved shooting in Senoia Tuesday morning that sent two residents for hospital treatment with gunshot wounds.

The Senoia Police officers involved in the shooting are now on routine paid administrative leave pending the investigation, according to Senoia City Manager Richard Ferry. Ferry also confirmed that the incident took place between 9 and 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at 575 Stallings Road.

Lt. Steve Tomlin of the Senoia Police Department confirmed late Tuesday that, so far, a total of three people will be criminally charged in the shooting incident. Those charges will range from obstruction to and aggravated assault on a peace officer. A third, uninjured suspect was taken from the scene Tuesday to the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office where he now faces charges.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Public Information Officer John Bankhead said that Senoia Police officers attempted to stop a vehicle Tuesday morning on a traffic violation. The vehicle continued moving until it reached the driveway of 575 Stallings Road, and the officer followed with his patrol lights on.

Though the GBI is investigating what happened next, they’ve been told by Senoia Police officials that a man exited the residence with a shotgun, and “after that shots were fired,” according to Bankhead.

A 61-year-old man was grazed by a bullet on his neck and shot in the shoulder. He was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital. A 72-year-old man was also shot and was transported to Atlanta Medical Center. According to Bankhead, the 72-year-old is also experiencing complications from “another medical issue.”

Family members of the shooting victims told WSB-TV Tuesday that the shooting victims are 72-year-old Napolean Keith and 61-year-old Charles Campbell. That could not be confirmed from law enforcement authorities.

The exact number and identities of the victims and the officers who were involved in the shooting has not been released by investigators. Details are “rather sketchy at this point, and subject to change,” according to Bankhead.

“I’m told that neither have life-threatening wounds,” said Bankhead late Tuesday afternoon. “Senoia’s chief of police asked us to investigate. We will interview all witnesses that we know about and process the scene for forensic evidence.”

Once the GBI’s investigation is complete, they will submit a report to the Coweta Circuit District Attorney’s office for review and prosecution, if it’s deemed necessary.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    Oh Well. Cant fix stupid, but this comes as close as you can get.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Either way, it makes the totality of the circumstances for shooting both of them a little different...
    Not much IMHO. The Police are in the process of a stop in front of your house and you come out of the house along side of a man with a shotgun you are assuming a risk that IMHO negates any claim of liability arising from collateral damage.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    I am just interested to see how that detail changes the initial impression of the event, much less the final determination
    Me to -- if any.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Its like they say there is no fool like an old fool.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sponsored Links