Cookie Monsters

Cookie Monsters

This is a discussion on Cookie Monsters within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Girl Scouts troops ripped off when scammer uses counterfeit bills to buy cookies DAILY NEWS STAFF Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 1:33 PM Who would ripoff ...

Thread: Cookie Monsters

Cookie Monsters

Girl Scouts troops ripped off when scammer uses counterfeit bills to buy cookies
    DAILY NEWS STAFF

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 1:33 PM

Who would ripoff pint-sized Girl Scouts?

That's what the girls in Troop 40411 in Bremerton, Wash., are asking after a scammer used counterfeit $20 bills to buy cookies from them, according to report by King5 News in Seattle.

"That makes you feel really mad," seven-year-old Silvia Swanson told King5 News.

The annual cookie sale is a major source of funding for Girl Scouts programs like camping trips and swimming lessons.

Troop 40411 leader KC Gettings told the TV station that she found out about the counterfeit bills when she tried to deposit the money in a bank Saturday. Gettings said an employee at the bank, inside a Safeway store, told her two of the $20 bills were counterfeit.

Gettings bought a counterfeit detecting pen and discovered three other $20 bills were fake. Two of the bills had the same serial number.

Gettings told the station that she will file a police report on Monday - since the local station is closed on weekends. Each member will earn a "fraud badge" for their role in helping uncover the crime, but the troop may be on the hook for the $100 they lost in the scam.

"It's just beyond me," a customer, Deborah Bernard, told King5. "I can't even imagine that. These are little girls."
    I hope they don't get a cookie while they're in jail,They did catch 3 guys and are looking for a 4th suspect when they were caught trying to use a fake 20.00 in a store
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not to worry, the publicity will have donations pouring in .

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    Ripping off little kids is pretty reprehensible. IT should be considered an aggravated felony.

This is another case for carrying.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Please explain...
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Should we be shooting anybody that hands us a twenty?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Why is everyone amazed that some dirtbags do these things? For an extra box of mints, there are some that would shoot everyone at the sales table.
    The worse the economy gets, the worse the crimes against citizens of all ages is going to get...stand by!

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Who?

I have read about it all the time.

A quick search =

Teens Unremorseful After Stealing From Girl Scout - West Palm Beach News Story - WPBF West Palm Beach

Teens Unremorseful After Stealing From Girl Scout
    Police: Charges Could Be Pending
    LAKE WORTH, Fla. -- The State Attorney's Office will decide whether to charge two teens who admit they robbed a 9-year-old Girl Scout selling cookies outside of a Lake Worth supermarket.

"I thought that it was a really mean thing to do, and I was sad after," Girl Scout Gracie Smith told WPBF News 25.

Authorities said that a 17-year-old girl in a hot-pink sweatshirt approached Smith outside of a Winn-Dixie supermarket at Hypoluxo and Jog roads in Lake Worth Wednesday evening and asked the girl what her favorite cookies were. Police told WPBF that, while Smith was telling the teen about her favorite Cinna-Spins, the teen snatched an envelope containing about $164 off of Smith's table, hopped into another teen's car and drove away.

Smith told WPBF that she turned to her mother in tears, saying, "Mommy! That girl took all my money!"

Authorities said they caught up with the 17-year-old girl Thursday and pulled her out of class at Park Vista High School, where she allegedly confessed to the crime, WPBF reported. Investigators said the girl's female accomplice, another a Park Vista student, also confessed.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said that the case has been handed over to the State Attorney's Office to determine if charges will be filed against the teens.

Smith's mother, Charlene Rubenstrunk, told WPBF that the girls returned to the store Thursday to taunt her daughter.

"They are within 10 feet of the same kid they just robbed last night and there is nothing anybody can do about it. I find that offensive," Rubenstrunk said.

The girls, whose names are not being released because they are minors, told WPBF that they were not remorseful for the crime, and that they did it because they "needed money."

"We went through all that effort to get it, we got all these charges and we had to give the money back. I'm kind of pissed," one of the girls told WPBF.

The other girl told WPBF that she was upset because police found them.

"I'm not sorry, I'm just pissed that I got caught," the girl said.

Money collected from the cookie sales were supposed to go toward Smith's sleep-over trip with Troop 664 to the Miami Seaquarium. Police were unable to recover the stolen money, but a father of one of the teens accused in the crime paid the money back to Smith's mother, WPBF reported.

Authorities said the teens were not charged because they did not use force to steal the money, nor did they take the money from the Girl Scout’s hands.

The State Attorney's Office will decide if the teens will be charged.

The Winn-Dixie supermarket is donating $200 to the troop, WPBF reported.
    Watch vidio at

Girls rob Girl Scout of cookie money then brag to the news • videosift.com

Embezzlement in Brockton area ? Crime of trust - Brockton, MA - Wicked Local Brockton

Embezzlement in Brockton area — Crime of trust
    By Elaine Allegrini
    Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:18 AM EST

BROCKTON - Embezzlement — the crime of taking money you are entrusted to protect.

Trusted colleagues take money, first a few dollars, then more and more. They might intend to pay it back, but it becomes overwhelming.

The perpetrators “become sloppy and that’s when they get caught,” said Jo-Ann Della Guistina, professor of criminal justice at Bridgewater State College and an attorney.

The victims may be nonprofits, community organizations, religious groups, small businesses or big corporations. For the most part, all they want is restitution. Some will prosecute, some won’t.

As authorities investigate the missing thousands of dollars from a Brockton municipal union fund, some wonder who would steal from an employer, organization or nonprofit, and why.

There have been several local cases in recent years.

In Whitman, Nancy Feakins took $110,000 from the town collector’s office and went to jail for a year. In Brockton, Christine Peterson took $15,000 from the Hancock Parent Advisory Council, but didn’t face charges. Thomas J. O’Brien of Pembroke took $22,000 from the Brockton Parking Authority. He pleaded guilty in 1999 and received a two-year suspended sentence and was ordered to make restitution. Susan M. Taylor, formerly Susan Donadio, of Middleboro took an estimated $30,000 to $50,000 from the Community Christmas Fund and the Middleboro Parish Outreach for which the court ordered her to make restitution of $15,000 after she pleaded guilty in 2006.Eileen C. Whitman of Hanson was charged in 2006 with taking more than $2,000 from the Parent Teacher Organization and accused of taking another $1,900 from the Girl Scouts.
    Now, Brockton’s Local 1162 of the Laborers International Union of North America, representing 400 clerical and other city workers, is missing up to $30,000.

Union President Winnifred Petkunas said she discovered discrepancies in the account about two weeks ago when she received statements in preparation for a U.S. Department of Labor compliance audit. She immediately reported it to the Plymouth County district attorney’s office and to regional union officials.

The money represents the local portion of the $32.50 a month dues that members pay. No charges have been filed in the case and no suspects have been named.

Meanwhile, Susan Elliot of Lakeville, a longtime employee in the city auditor’s office and 10-year secretary-treasurer of the union, resigned last week, citing health reasons. She has been on sick leave since early January.

Elliot could not be reached for comment.

Della Giustina, the Bridgewater professor, said there are two kinds of embezzlement — entitlement and economic.

“The dream is to be rich, for some people it’s a goal,” she said. “When an opportunity opens, they take it.”

Then, there’s the economic embezzlement. As the economy weakens, she sees thefts and fraud increasing and that’s where gender enters the picture.

“You see more women in economic crimes,” said Della Guistina, noting that women are in positions where money is accessible.

It starts small, even $1 or less, she said. “They think they’re going to pay it back,” she said.

But, times are tough. The economy is tanking, a lot of people are hurting financially. For some, it’s a matter of money to live. For others, they see retirement money disappearing.

“They don’t know where to turn,” she said.

The scheme becomes easier with time, the amounts bigger. They’re not as careful, don’t cover their tracks. And, then they get caught.

Della Giustina said white-collar businesses, especially banks, are unlikely to prosecute. Others may start the prosecution, but eventually make a deal.

“When they do prosecute, they usually want to make an example of the person,” she said.

Elaine Allegrini can be reached at eallegrini@enterprisenews.com.
    emphasis added
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Why is everyone amazed that some dirtbags do these things? For an extra box of mints, there are some that would shoot everyone at the sales table.
    The worse the economy gets, the worse the crimes against citizens of all ages is going to get...stand by!

I think it's more of a way of living for this type person than the economy.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I don't understand how someone can embezzle huge sums of money and NOT go to jail. Meanwhile someone else robs a mini-mart,gets thirty bucks and 5 years in jail ? How about guys who embezzle millions and get a year ? Micheal Milken stole how many millions ? I don't think that he even did a week of time per million. Watch, Bernie Madoff will probably get less time than someone caught with a couple of grams of cocaine. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Most people don't steal because of a bad economy. They steal because its easier than working for it. Why are we so quick to make excuses for these people?

I remember the TV ads many years back. "Don't turn little Johnny into a theif. Lock your car when you leave it."
    These folks didn't understand the little Johnny was already a thief or an unlocked car wouldn't have been a temptation.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Most people don't steal because of a bad economy. They steal because its easier than working for it. Why are we so quick to make excuses for these people?

I remember the TV ads many years back. "Don't turn little Johnny into a theif. Lock your car when you leave it."
    These folks didn't understand the little Johnny was already a thief or an unlocked car wouldn't have been a temptation.

Michael
    Yes, but when a smart person with no scruples does a cost/benefit analysis of crime vs. legitimate employment the state of the economy does matter. When there are plenty of ways to make good money without significant risk, they go for gainful employment. When the economy changes, the arithmetic changes. We aren't talking about a good person becoming a criminal, we are talking about a bad (immoral) person becoming a criminal. There's a difference.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I don't understand how someone can embezzle huge sums of money and NOT go to jail. Meanwhile someone else robs a mini-mart,gets thirty bucks and 5 years in jail ? How about guys who embezzle millions and get a year ? Micheal Milken stole how many millions ? I don't think that he even did a week of time per million. Watch, Bernie Madoff will probably get less time than someone caught with a couple of grams of cocaine. I just don't get it.
    I am as confused as you! And mad as heck! Heres some other things that make me go nuts... Sen. Ted Kennedy Has been Knighted by the Queen of England... Nancy P, Reid and Frank are head of the folks who put the fix in for the economy And they are the ones who had a great deal in causing it!
    I know as a previous member said The kids will do better now because of the donations that will pour in. By the way doesn’t the cookie company make more then the Girl Scouts?

Links