Uncommon success in federal appeals

This is a discussion on Uncommon success in federal appeals within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Would someone explain to me how we end up with "carnal knowledge of a minor, should not be considered a violent crime in terms of ...

Thread: Uncommon success in federal appeals

VIP Member

Thumbs down Uncommon success in federal appeals

Would someone explain to me how we end up with "carnal knowledge of a minor, should not be considered a violent crime in terms of the career criminal designation", yet a totally non violent domestic misdemeanor is enough of a violent crime to stop a owning a weapon?

Got to love Judge Turk for hanging in there, however.

Want to bet that the 4th Circuit won't get a new appeal of the 30 months vs. the 96 months -- and how they will rule?

Federal sentence trimmed for Roanoke County man with firearm conviction - Roanoke.com

Federal sentence trimmed for Roanoke County man uncommon success in federal appeals with firearm conviction

By Mike Gangloff

A Roanoke County manís court cut nine years from his sentence today ó but still left him with years more than sentencing guidelines called for.

"Probably the best outcome you could have had under these circumstances," Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Bassford commented after Michael Ray Thorntonís resentencing in federal court in Roanoke.

Thornton drew an eight-year prison term. It was his third federal sentencing since his 2005 conviction for being a felon in possession of a firearm and body armor.

Thornton, who has a history of violence and sex offenses that date back to the 1970s, had first received a 17-year federal sentence largely based on his designation as an armed career criminal. He twice successfully battled aspects of that designation before the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, first winning a ruling that two of his prior convictions resulted from the same incident and should not be counted separately. Thornton was resentenced, but U.S. District Judge James Turk again imposed 17 years, using other offenses to justify the career criminal designation.

Then last month, the 4th Circuit decided in Thorntonís favor again, ruling that one of his prior offenses, carnal knowledge of a minor, should not be considered a violent crime in terms of the career criminal designation.

Between Thorntonís original conviction and his appeals, interpretation of federal law about the career criminal designation was shifted by a U.S. Supreme Court decision, Bassford explained.

The new sentencing guidelines calculated for todayís hearing dropped the career designation and called for up to 30 months in prison. But Turk, who's said earlier in the hearing that Thornton was a danger to the community, imposed 96 months.

Throughout his appeals, Thornton has been serving a state prison sentence that he said would end in 2014. Once that term is done, he will begin his federal time.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

that creep needs to stay in jail...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.Ē
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    that creep needs to stay in jail...
    Actually, under it would be an even better location, IMHO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

He should be given the dirt nap while the U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals are taking their next recess.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Take a dirt nap, buy the farm, inject a bubble in his arm....

Sorry, I just watched a video of a song .....
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links