argument in gun shop vs. Gun Store Clerk Shot Robber

This is a discussion on argument in gun shop vs. Gun Store Clerk Shot Robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Talk about a bias headline! Two men shot during argument in gun shop - Chicago Breaking News Two men shot during argument in gun shop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: argument in gun shop vs. Gun Store Clerk Shot Robber

VIP Member

Talk about a bias headline!

Two men shot during argument in gun shop - Chicago Breaking News

Two men shot during argument in gun shop

March 5, 2009 5:03 PM | 5 Comments
    A man shot three times by a clerk at a Waukegan gun store in an apparent robbery attempt Wednesday remained in critical condition this afternoon, officials said.

According to witnesses, a verbal dispute turned physical after the man went behind the counter at the Smoke N' Gun, 2010 Washington St. in Waukegan, about 1:45 p.m., Waukegan Police Commander Wayne Walles said. The clerk fired at the man, striking him twice in the chest and once in the leg, while also accidentally shooting himself in the hand during the struggle, Walles said.

The suspect who was shot by the clerk was taken to Vista West Medical Center in Waukegan, where he was later air lifted to Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, Walles said. The clerk was taken to an area hospital, he said.

Police have interviewed four witnesses, including one man who was being held at gunpoint by another store clerk when police arrived, Walles said.

--Ruth Fuller
    Vs Fox

FOXNews.com - Police: Gun Store Clerk Shot Robber - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Police: Gun Store Clerk Shot Robber

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Authorities say a clerk at an Illinois guns and ammunition store shot a man who was trying to rob the business Wednesday afternoon, ChicagoBreakingNews.com reported.

Police responded to a call that a person was shot at Mike Schrank's Smoke 'N Gun. When they arrived, they found a man shot twice in the chest and once in the leg.

Witnesses say the clerk pulled a handgun on the man after he went behind the store's counter and became physical. During the confrontation, the clerk accidentally shot himself in the hand.

Police believe the man was trying to rob the store, according to a police statement.

Both men were rushed to area hospitals, where the man shot three times was taken into surgery. The clerk was taken to another hospital for treatment.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Nice,
    I love the difference in headlines
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

That must be the new PC where robbery = argument. Kind of like welfare = redistribution of wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    That must be the new PC where robbery = argument. Kind of like welfare = redistribution of wealth.

Other than the pain he's probably in, I say good for the shop owner.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Who is this ruth fuller working for on the first report?

Crazy. It sounds like two completely different stories, one is a robbery attempt, the other one is an argument. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
    I wonder how you can accidentally shoot yourself in the hand ? I'd love to see the video.
    Last edited by PNUT; March 6th, 2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: adding question

VIP Member

More -- Daily Herald

Daily Herald | No charges yet in Waukegan gun store shootings

No charges yet in Waukegan gun store shootings
    By Lee Filas | Daily Herald Staff

Police said they are waiting to file charges in the shooting and apparent robbery at a Waukegan gun shop until after officers interview the suspect wounded in the scuffle.

Police are reviewing videotape evidence and witness accounts from the Wednesday afternoon shooting at Schrank's Smoke 'N Gun, 2010 Washington St., Police Cmdr. Wayne Walles said. Four people seen on videotape entering and exiting the shop minutes before and after the 1:45 p.m. confrontation have been questioned by police, Walles said, along with the store clerk who shot and wounded the suspect who allegedly jumped behind the counter during the altercation.

Police refused to release the names of those involved until after formal charges are filed, Walles said Thursday, but identified the four people questioned as witnesses who were not involved in the altercation.

"Many people were in and out of the store before, during and after the shooting," he said. "We have interviewed everyone but the subject that was shot. So, we are waiting for him to talk to us before we press any charges."

He confirmed police believe the case is an attempted robbery.

Walles said the store clerk and a customer were involved in a verbal confrontation until the customer went behind the counter, which triggered a physical fight.

The clerk shot the man in the chest and leg during the fight and held another person at gunpoint until police arrived, Walles said. The person shot in the chest was taken to Vista West Medical Center in Waukegan before being flown to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. Walles added the suspect underwent surgery last night and is listed in critical but stable condition.

The clerk was also taken to Vista West because he accidentally shot himself in the hand during the struggle, Walles said. He has been treated and released from the hospital and has been interviewed by police.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    ...The clerk shot the man in the chest and leg during the fight and held another person at gunpoint until police arrived...
    Who is this other person? Why did the clerk feel the need to hold him at gunpoint?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Who is this other person? Why did the clerk feel the need to hold him at gunpoint?
    I could be wrong but I would bet he held the crook he wounded at gunpoint, not "another person". Just bad reporting in my view.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I could be wrong but I would bet he held the crook he wounded at gunpoint, not "another person". Just bad reporting in my view.
    I don't think so, because the anti-gun version caught it as well:

"Police have interviewed four witnesses, including one man who was being held at gunpoint by another store clerk when police arrived, Walles said."

Not a big deal, it just piqued my curiosity.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

It might've been BG's friend, who the clerk might have thought was the guy's backup.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Crazy. It sounds like two completely different stories, one is a robbery attempt, the other one is an argument. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
    I wonder how you can accidentally shoot yourself in the hand ? I'd love to see the video.
    ya, im trying to figure how he shot himself in hand
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    ya, im trying to figure how he shot himself in hand
    He may have been using his hand to keep BG at arm length while he drew and shot from retention hitting his hand,That's why I practice a strike with my off hand and then raise it above chest level to fire 2 COM in the target
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Damn shame... it's like they have painted violent robbers as almost cute and cuddly... as I said, it's all insanity.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I'm more surprised that Chibama has a gun store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links