Pizza delivery man robbed, shoots attacker during struggle

This is a discussion on Pizza delivery man robbed, shoots attacker during struggle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | Pizza delivery man robbed, shoots attacker during struggle This happened where i grew up. Always gotta be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pizza delivery man robbed, shoots attacker during struggle

Pizza delivery man robbed, shoots attacker during struggle

WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | Pizza delivery man robbed, shoots attacker during struggle

This happened where i grew up. Always gotta be prepared.

IRMO, SC (WIS) - Officials say four people tried to rob a pizza delivery man Saturday night, but the man ended up shooting and killing one of the attackers.

Deputies say the incident happened at about 10:30pm Saturday.

Lexington County Sheriff James Metts says 18-year-old Jason Todd Beckham, 20-year-old Carlos Renard Dates, 18-year-old Justin Towan Roundtree and 17-year-old Paul Andrew Sturgill, Jr. placed an order with the Pizza Hut on Irmo Drive for two large pizzas to be delivered to a home on Avery Place Lane.

The owner of the home did not know the four men, and didn't know his home was being used as a location for a robbery, Metts said.

The delivery man, 43-year-old Christopher Steven Miller, told deputies Sturgill was standing on a sidewalk outside the home when Miller arrived to deliver the pizzas. Miller told deputies Sturgill asked him whether Miller could make change for a $100 bill, and Miller saw that Sturgill had no cash in his wallet.

Miller says he saw two men run out of some nearby woods towards him, and tried to run away. However, Miller says Sturgill began to punch him.

While Sturgill was hitting him, Miller told deputies that he took a .45-caliber handgun from his fanny pack and shot Sturgill in the upper torso.

Miller called 911, and deputies arrived to find Miller bleeding from his nose and Sturgill lying on the ground.

EMTs took Sturgill to Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Detectives arrested Beckham Sunday morning at Sturgill's home. Deputies and a U.S. Marshals fugitive task force arrested Dates Sunday afternoon at his home. Roundtree turned himself in Sunday evening.

The three are being held at the Lexington County Detention Center awaiting a bond hearing Monday morning on charges of robbery and criminal conspiracy.

An autopsy will be performed on Sturgill Monday.

Miller has a concealed weapons permit, and has not been charged, Metts said. However, the incident remains under investigation.

2. Remove Ads

I read some of the comments at the end of the article and one guy claiming to be his uncle of the thug that got shot was crying about how he "had a heart as big as the grand canyon". Pathetic. There is also a link to his myspace profile for anyone who cares to take a look. I'm not going to link to it here because its not really that revelent.

VIP Member
    Kral, I disagree with the Not Relevant. It shows his mentality. I won't post either 'cause does not comply with our forum's rules but to summarize the guy was an idiot.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Another thug removed from the gene pool, lets hope he hadn't already bred. Not sure if SC law allows for his accomplices to be charged with capital murder, but if so hope the state uses it.

Hopefully this wasn't Mr Millers only job. If so he's out of work, Pizza Hut will fire him for carrying a weapon.

Ya, I was pretty sure it would be too. I wasnt sure how to explain it though.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Hopefully everything works out for Mr. Miller. I agree that the thugs should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

And is it just me, or is the "he was a wonderful, loving, care-bear-in-human-form" line ALWAYS spouted nowadays? Is there a memo I missed that has handy "your delinquent kin just died committing a crime, here's what you should say" phrases on it?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

what would you expect them to say in a society that tends to teach their young that they do not have to take responsibility for your own actions..

It's not his fault he's an axe murder, he was an only child!
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

Good on the pizza guy for being armed, able and willing to defend his life.

I'm glad that the pizza man came out of this ok. One thing I don't understand is why his name is in the paper, letting all of this criminals friends and family know who killed him ? I've never understood that. I certainly would not want my name broadcast to the world. I wonder if there is some way to keep your identity private if an incident occurs. Isn't there some kind of protection for the victim ? The pizza man won the battle, but he also was the victim of a violent crime,he could have been killed.

I still love the fact that the pizza man will lose his job

I used to run pizza's all the time and one friday night got a call to deliver 25 worth of pizza to a rough part of town down the street. Customer specified that the driver have change for 100. Boss asked if I would run the pie, I jokingly said sure but if you hear gunfire call the police. After the run my boss pulled me aside and asked what I carried, I told him and he said nice choice. Gotta love mom and pop shops, he also let me run the register after that.

Good thing the BG's heart was so big it makes an easier target
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Looks like more and more pizza jocks are taking that 'no guns' rule with a grain of salt. Maybe Glock could expand their discount program to include them...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Conspiracy to commit robbery, robbery and a death via the felony. I hope the other two get prison for the crime of murder. Uncertain if SC is that clear-eyed with such things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Too bad he'll lose his job now. And being a 43 year old delivery driver, I'm fairly certain he really needed the income, even if it was a second job. At least it beats being dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Kral, I disagree with the Not Relevant. It shows his mentality. I won't post either 'cause does not comply with our forum's rules but to summarize the guy was an idiot.
    And speaking of the MySpace, I just read this comment posted from one of his friends. Irony?

Posted Feb 23 2009 5:38 PM
    you have chage i will give you that, but your right u never no when ur going to die so live ur life to the fullest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links