ND in college classroom - Page 2

ND in college classroom

This is a discussion on ND in college classroom within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So yeah this happened not too terribly far from me. Yeah, no holster, caressing the weapon while dreaming in class. What an idiot. I dont ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ND in college classroom

So yeah this happened not too terribly far from me. Yeah, no holster, caressing the weapon while dreaming in class.

What an idiot. I dont know that this does us any good.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

He doesnt set us back any on carrying legally on campus..

He is 19, too young to carry a firearm legally, too young to have a cwp, and obviously carrying it into a classroom illegally..

What has he done legally so far?

He could have been someone looking to do harm!!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Age has no bareing...he was a student, in class, playing with his gun...legal or not has no bareing. It is the PERCEPTION on WHAT might happen in the future if allowed. That is the ONLY thing that matters...no decision maker is going to care about age or legal or not...they will only say where it happened and why it happened. It only takes one...

Rick

VIP Member

From our side of the argument

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    He doesnt set us back any on carrying legally on campus..

He is 19, too young to carry a firearm legally, too young to have a cwp, and obviously carrying it into a classroom illegally..

What has he done legally so far?

He could have been someone looking to do harm!!
    From our side of the argument all this case shows is that people who should not have guns, and who are willing to do illegal things with them, will do so regardless of what anti-gun laws there are. Obviously this kid, and the one I mentioned earlier in the thread, didn't pay attention to the law on bit.

From the other side, the point will be that there are too many guns, too easily obtained by people who shouldn't have them, and young people are too irresponsible to have them in class.

It is the latter point of view which unfortunately gets fostered every time these criminals act out. And yes, the guy who had the ND is a criminal. He carried almost certainly without benefit of license, into a prohibited place. Were it not for his criminal acts there would have been no ND. He is lucky no one got hurt or killed because he could rightfully be charged with criminally negligent homicide.

Senior Moderator
    You guys crying about how it sets back the "movement" need to get a clue and quit wringing your hands.

If everyone subscribed to that sort of mentality, the "Concealed Handgun Movement" would have never taken off and we wouldnt have 48 states out of 50 with some sort of handgun legislation that makes it legal to carry.

The last time I checked, there were 38 states with SHALL ISSUE permits. Which means no politics, no political donations or blood ties with the issuing authority is required.

So some kid smuggled a gun into a school and had a negligent discharge.
    Big deal.
    Sure, it sucks, but using that one excuse as a reason to prevent the legal and responsible carry of handguns on Universitys is to use the same mindset as the anti's.

Its like going to war and the first soldier that gets shot causes everyone else to just give up and quit.What exactly would that accomplish?

Some of yall need to quit thinking like liberals and man up in the thought process. Put the blame where the blame is due and quit worrying about what Obama worshippers think, cause you wont change their feeble little minds anyway.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I agree with the Anti's that a single person accidentally firing a weapon is far worse than allowing dozens to be killed by a mass murderer. The person who has a ND is probably generally law abiding, and therefore should have the full force of the law brought against them. Lock em up. Throw away the key. And never let them carry a gun again. Law abiding people shouldn't carry anyway.

Now the poor criminal, probably had a bad child hood, and has been mistreated by society. A cruel society that didn't recognize his needs. We should seek to understand and accept him as he is. Punitive use of the laws is really not justified. It wouldn't deter him, and so it is excessive. Some nice homeopathic therapy might help him come to accept himself.

I am sure that the Virginia Tech students are glad no one other than the shooter had a gun that day. What if someone had tried to pull their gun to stop him and had a Negligent Discharge? That would have been awful.

Senior Moderator
    Thats pretty close to the actual thought process there, Fenris.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You guys crying about how it sets back the "movement" need to get a clue and quit wringing your hands.

Big deal.
    Sure, it sucks, but using that one excuse as a reason to prevent the legal and responsible carry of handguns on Universitys is to use the same mindset as the anti's.
    It is a big deal. We know the kid was stupid and everything he did was the result of illegal actions, but the anti carry people will use this as an example of how allowing those evil guns on campus will only result in more events like this, or worse. They won't understand that this idiot ignored all the current laws, so passing more won't do any good. They cannot separate the responsible carriers from dopes like this, and it's because the dopes always wind up doing dumb $#!t.

And not all antis are liberal. I'm a liberal and I understand why we need guns. I recognize that some people are evil or stupid or desperate or whatever it is that causes them to prey on other humans, and I know they are armed and dangerous. I think it's only fair that I should be, too. My wife, however, is a conservative and a . She does not see the dangers in this world and thinks I'm a paranoid wacko because I like to be prepared. Which is weird because she's always telling me how the world will fall apart now that Obama is president.

If my wife saw this story, she would absolutely be harping on how dangerous guns are, and how they should not be allowed on campus.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    He's 19 years old...a full two year short of the minimum age allowed for an adult to own a handgun per Federal law.

This should not ding _lawful_ college carry at all.
    A 21 yr. old student is a senior and at that age on many campuses has ability and access to far more dangerous and lethal items such as lasers, chemicals, electricity, and even functioning nuclear reactors as well as radioactive materials.

This just another case of an unlawful minded youth acting unlawfully against campus, local, state, and Federal laws combined.

- Janq
    IMHO "should not ding _lawful_ college carry at all" is true -- however, "will not" is another story.

The anti's will love it.

Thats pretty close to the actual thought process there, Fenris.
    Anti's "thought process"? Way too much credit there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If everyone subscribed to that sort of mentality, the "Concealed Handgun Movement" would have never taken off and we wouldnt have 48 states out of 50 with some sort of handgun legislation that makes it legal to carry.

The last time I checked, there were 38 states with SHALL ISSUE permits. Which means no politics, no political donations or blood ties with the issuing authority is required.

Big deal.

Its like going to war and the first soldier that gets shot causes everyone else to just give up and quit.What exactly would that accomplish?

Some of yall need to quit thinking like liberals and man up in the thought process. Put the blame where the blame is due and quit worrying about what Obama worshippers think, cause you wont change their feeble little minds anyway.
    HotGuns, we're not admitting defeat; we're just being realistic. There's no point in denying reality - it does nobody any good.

The fact of the matter is that campus carry is an even more sensitive issue than general carry, believe it or not. Why? Because there's significant fear and ignorance, and most kids who take up the cause are generally gone four (or fewer) years later.

And has been mentioned, just a single minor incident on our side is a huge black mark for us, but a defenseless person (or persons) being victimized seems to make no dent upon the anti side.

Senior Moderator
    And has been mentioned, just a single minor incident on our side is a huge black mark for us, but a defenseless person (or persons) being victimized seems to make no dent upon the anti side.
    First of all, the kid was not on "our side". He was illegally concealing a gun on campus.He wasn't even of legal age.

I tend to see it as a black mark for the punk that carried the gun to school.

If you consider how many people tote, and how many people do it legally and without incident, then this "black mark" shouldn't even be considered as relevant to the discussion of concealed carry.

Its like equating a hold up at the local 7-11 or PDQ and saying that its a "black mark" for all the concealed carriers because the perp was concealing his gun right up to the time that he pulled it out and committed the robbery.

Its really not even in the same league.

Or how about saying that some kid was speeding and wrecked his car and its a black mark for all kids his age? People would balk at that and say that its not a fair comparison right?

See? Same kind of logic that just doesn't make any sense at all. Its not being realistic, its being illogical and that is what we are trying to avoid when educating those that don't know any better.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Aah Hotguns...you make a compelling argument. But it will end up being a poster child for the school boards and decision makers that are against school carry. Not all schools and not all decision makers...but denying it wasn't a big deal, he was underage, broke the law, etc is like saying drinking on campus is no big deal...but many colleges have outlawed it.

BTW...hope I'm wrong...but seen "no big deal(s)" turn into nightmares...

Rick

Senior Moderator
    BTW...hope I'm wrong...but seen "no big deal(s)" turn into nightmares...
    It could happen, and it wouldn't be the first time that an administration made a decision based on fear or paranoia.

We don't need to be helping them with the process though or be a party to their stupidity.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

We don't need to be helping them with the process though or be a party to their stupidity.
    And just how are "we" doing that on a thread discussion?

Rick

Senior Moderator
    And just how are "we" doing that on a thread discussion?
    Good question, I am glad you asked.

Some are doing that by thinking that it "looks bad" for concealed carriers without considering other facts.

It's the same thought process that invites defeat.

As concealed carriers, we need to quit being apologetic and take the initiative.
    If we don't, we will lose the battle, because that it exactly what it is, a battle that will never quit as long as there is good and evil in this world.

I'm reminded of the small battles that we fought back in the early 90's to get the state of Arkansas to embrace the idea of carrying a gun for self defense. We were told constantly that it was a losing battle, that it would never happen. Most people didn't think they would ever see the day it would come to be. Those that would like to see it wouldn't even lift a hand to help because they were convinced that it simply couldn't be.

Had we listened to nitwits and naysayers and people that tend to give up or give in with out a fight, concealed carry in this state never would have passed. I am sure that it was much the same in the other states.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links