VERY BAD: 5 dead in Alabama shooting; (Merged) - Page 4

VERY BAD: 5 dead in Alabama shooting; (Merged)

This is a discussion on VERY BAD: 5 dead in Alabama shooting; (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If their had been some armed public involved the death toll would have been much lower. Obviously the guys in the hardware store did not ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: VERY BAD: 5 dead in Alabama shooting; (Merged)

If their had been some armed public involved the death toll would have been much lower. Obviously the guys in the hardware store did not have their guns on them so they weren’t prepared. But if all these witnesses that were not being shot at were armed then it would have been over. The guy had no body armor and with being on the move he probably was not very aware of his surroundings. Some one standing one car over could have put a couple double taps in him with out even taking fire. Just imagine if you had a car pull up in front of you and someone gets out and start shooting across the roof broad side to you. It would be over.
    More laws won’t help prevent this. We need more education about guns and our rights and responsibilities as citizens.
    If they want to point fingers then how about all the people that knew this guy. They must have seen some warning sings that he was not in a good state of mind. Who knows if he tried to get help. Or if it started out as a revenge thing. Maybe he was abused by his family. The media just wants to focus on the gun. its better news that way.

The relatives that were shot , including the 18 month old, were just sitting on the porch when he pulled up and shot them from the truck with a rifle. No chance for anyone to do anything.
    Everyone talks about how it happened so fast. Most of the others were shot either walking down the street or standing on the sidewalk as he drove down the street shooting out the window of the vehicle.
    By the time a bystander could react he was gone.
    One person can do a lot of damage if they keep moving and have no specific targets.
    A lot of people down here don't carry on their person but will have a handgun or rifle in their vehicle, which makes it too late.
    The samson PD Lt said, "I am a big supporter of the NHRA bu there has to be a limit." Don't know what the national Hot Rod Association has to do with it. Actually, I assume he mispoke but he is still wrong.
    Apparently the shooter, being described as a 'gun enthuisast' was constantly being teased about his weight and had a list of those that 'had done him wrong.'
    No automatic firearms were involved. The modified firearms merely had magazines taped together!

Heard on the radio 10 mins ago, "the shooter was hoarding hundreds of rounds of ammunition". Be very carefull who knows just how many rounds you do have. The don't like that.
    Last edited by yzcrasher; March 12th, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fixed thousands to hundreds
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    This is by far the worse part. The officer was sent out to handle possibly the worst case senario of his career, isn't able to catch up and deal with the guy directly, then finds out that that his wife and child were killed randomly by the same guy he was after.

I can't imagine going though something like that.
    same here, last evening before I went on duty I just sat in my chair with my boy in my lap just imagining how horrible that would be
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhite View Post
    If their had been some armed public involved the death toll would have been much lower...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepnjay View Post
    ...An armed puplic can prevent these sort of thing from escalating like it did...
    I will not blame the victims or the public. Can an armed public stop drive by shootings going past at 35 miles per hour. LEO had a hard time keeping up to the guy. I doubt an armed public could have done much to prevent this. The shooter was not raping, robbing, or taking over anything. This was hit in run with a battle rifle. No other motive then to cause fear, injury, and go. Other then when he went into the house, I don't see what could have been done (and even then, your suprised, children in the house, and the guy comes in ready to shoot).

An armed public is not the solution to every firearm related news story. This is just a reality of what can happen wrong in a society that has access to firearms. Every product that can be put together to make a bomb at your local store. Just like a facebook can be use by child molesters. A screw driver can be used as a weapon. Or how a dog can maul a child.

The situation that happened does support anti-gun beliefs. Not every firearm related event is going to be a banner moment for pro-gun, or prove how stupid anti-gun is. However there are many other events, that happen every day, that support pro-gun views.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    Heard on the radio 10 mins ago, "the shooter was hoarding hundreds of rounds of ammunition". Be very carefull who knows just how many rounds you do have. The don't like that.

Even if you have 100s of rounds of .22LR, they probably would call it a special "sniper round" after seeing my scoped Kimber rimfire.... I SPIT ON THE MEDIA, these prostitutes crap all over truth.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Followup... 1: EMT/Firefighter lost family 2: Slain hero rammed shooter's vehicle

Shooting Spree Leaves Alabama EMT/Firefighter Without Wife, Son and Two Family Members - JEMS Connect - EMS Emergency Medical Services

Shooting Spree Leaves Alabama EMT/Firefighter Without Wife, Son and Two Family Members

Lance Griffin
    Dothan Eagle, Ala.

Mar. 13--SAMSON -- It was going to be a great weekend for the Wise family.

Murray and Tracy Wise would have celebrated their 18th anniversary on Sunday. Their simple, private celebration may have included pleasant memories of the past 18 years such as their last family vacation to Gatlinburg, or all the way back to 1990, when Tracy quit school in the 10th grade to marry the man she loved.

For Murray and his 15-year-old son, Dean, the weekend would extend into Monday, the first day of turkey season.

Fund Established
    According to WTVY, Murray was a volunteer with the Samson Rescue Squad as well as the local fire department. The squad set up a special account at: Samson Banking Company Inc., 2 West Main St, Samson, AL 36477.For more information about the fund, you can contact Melissa Stinson at 334-248-3663.

They loved to hunt. Even before Dean was old enough to hunt, father and son would go into the woods, sit and watch. They would try to remain quiet, but sometimes Dean and Murray would talk about Alabama football. A full day without a deer or turkey kill was never a wasted day for the two.

But Murray Wise is planning funerals today instead of anniversary celebrations and hunting trips and wondering why a crazed gunman would take away his family.

Wise stood outside his home Thursday afternoon, less than 30 yards from where Michael McLendon shot and killed his wife and son Tuesday in a crazed killing spree. He said he can still stand only because of the prayers of friends and strangers. Still, he literally clings to his sisters for support.

"The 15 years I had with my son and the 18 years I had with Tracy were good, but I need more," he said.

"I'm lost without (Tracy). She kept me alive."

Tracy Wise was simply known as "Tator" to the Samson community, and everyone knew her. To Murray, Tator had the strongest will in southeast Alabama. After quitting school in the 10th grade, she acquired her GED and put herself through law school at the University of Alabama. She later became the town's magistrate and struck fear into the hearts of the town's lawbreakers.

"People were afraid of her if they had to go in front of her because they knew she would put them in jail," Murray Wise said.

Murray Wise was working just below the state line in Florida on Tuesday when he received the call that buckled his knees and crushed his world.

"I just broke down," he said. "I couldn't stand up."

He will bury his wife and son Tuesday in Samson. He plans to establish a scholarship fund in the name of Dean Wise for deserving local students.

"I want their names to be in this community for as long as I'm around," he said.

Samson Man Grieves the Loss of Four Family Members / News 4, Your News Leader, 4 Warn Desktop Alert, Dothan, Wiregrass, WTVY Marketplace

Samson Man Grieves the Loss of Four Family Members

One Samson man who lost his wife and son in Tuesday’s tragic shootings tries to come to grips with his loss. The community is coming together to do whatever it can to support him.

Murray Wise gave his spare time helping save lives.

Now he's grieving over the loss of lives and promising to find a way to for all to remember them.

Wise says, “It's been the most difficult thing in my life, to lose my son and my wife, all in a matter of seconds.”

Murray Wise's wife and son were gunned down by Michael Mclendon on a porch just down the road. During the murderous rampage, Wise's father in law and his wife's grandmother were killed too. He says his loss has been unbearable.

Wise says, “That’s my beautiful wife right there.”

Traci left school in tenth grade to be with Murray. She got her GED and a law degree and was a magistrate in town. Together they had a son, their only child.

“and Dean, lord, he was one and only. Loved his deer hunting, loved his Alabama football.”

Murray volunteers his time on the Samson rescue squad and with the fire department. Members of the rescue squad set up a special fund account in his name.

Stinson says, “We are a close family and Murray was one of our own and so his family was ours too.”

The streets of Samson are quiet today as folks try to cope with the tragedy. City officials say the town will never be the same.

King says, “I think it makes people realize we're not immune to events like this.”

Only time will tell how this small town will heal after one man's murderous rampage.

Funeral arrangements have been set four all four family members.

A viewing will be held at the First Baptist Church in Samson on Monday from 5 to 8 p.m.

The funeral will be held Tuesday at 11:00 at the First Baptist Church.

The special fund will be located at the Samson Banking Company Inc., 2 West Main St, Samson, AL 36477.

Murray says a portion of the funds will be allocated to a scholarship in his son's memory.

For more information about the fund, you can contact Melissa Stinson at 334....

Town Comedian Hailed As Hero in Alabama Killings / News 4, Your News Leader, 4 Warn Desktop Alert, Dothan, Wiregrass, WTVY Marketplace

Town Comedian Hailed As Hero in Alabama Killings

SAMSON, Ala. (AP) - Bruce Maloy was known as Samson's town
    comedian who was always boasting about hitting it big someday.

Now, Maloy is emerging as a hero.

On Friday, witnesses and authorities said Maloy, the 10th and
    final victim of Tuesday's shooting rampage by Michael McLendon,
    tried to end the violence with his beat-up old pickup truck.

With gunshots still echoing through downtown Samson, Maloy
    chased McLendon's dark red Mitsubishi out of town and rammed the
    vehicle at least once. Geneva County Chief Deputy Tony Helms says
    Maloy may have given police time to catch up to McLendon.

The killer shot the 51-year-old welder to death at a lonesome
    spot on Alabama 52 before eluding police in Geneva and killing
    himself with a single gunshot to the head.

Victim of Samson shooting may have saved others / News 4, Your News Leader, 4 Warn Desktop Alert, Dothan, Wiregrass, WTVY Marketplace

Victim of Samson shooting may have saved others
    Posted: 5:27 PM Mar 13, 2009
    Last Updated: 5:27 PM Mar 13, 2009
    Reporter: Vanessa Araiza
    Email Address: vanessa@wtvy.com

Mayor Clay King says 51-year old Bruce Malloy may have saved many lives while giving his own.

King says Michael McLendon stopped at the Ace Hardware on Main Street and continued to shoot.

Malloy approached McLendon from behind with his vehicle, possibly causing him to keep driving.

Malloy then followed him to Geneva on Highway 52, that's when he rammed McLendon's vehicle.

King says that gave officers extra time to catch up and most likely saved more lives.

Maloy's funeral service will be Wednesday at 11 a.m. in the Chapel of Ppittman Funeral Home in Samson.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Followup... 1: EMT/Firefighter lost family 2: Slain hero rammed shooter's vehicle

Duplicate...DELETED
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links