Talk about having a little bit of everything!

This is a discussion on Talk about having a little bit of everything! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Doctor Arrested On Explosives Charge Licensed To Sell Weapons The Morning News: News : Doctor Arrested On Explosives Charge Licensed To Sell Weapons LITTLE ROCK ...

Thread: Talk about having a little bit of everything!

Doctor Arrested On Explosives Charge Licensed To Sell Weapons

The Morning News: News : Doctor Arrested On Explosives Charge Licensed To Sell Weapons

LITTLE ROCK -- A Pope County physician arrested last week on a federal weapons charge had $48,000 in cash at his home and has made about 60 trips in and out of the country in a two-year period, according to testimony in a hearing Monday on whether the doctor is a risk for fleeing prosecution.

The hearing for Dr. Randeep Singh Mann, 50, of London, was scheduled to resume Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate David Young to determine if Mann will be allowed to post bail. He is charged with illegal possession of 98 high-explosive rounds for grenade launchers.

Mann was arrested Wednesday after London public works employees found the grenades buried in the woods near his home. Agent David Oliver of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the arresting officer, acknowledged under questioning by defense lawyers Monday that there was at least one home closer to the site than Mann's.

Oliver also cited a statement from Arkansas State Police that Mann's father is an international arms dealer. Defense lawyer Blake Hendrix, called the allegation a "bombshell" and a serious one that needed confirmation. Prosecutors said the information came from a state police e-mail but did no produce a copy of the note or say who it was from.

Mann told police there was about $14,000 in his home when the Pope County sheriff's office executed a search warrant the grenades were discovered. Authorities found another $34,000 in the trunk of one of Mann's cars, Oliver testified Monday.

Police also found an estimated 500,000 rounds or more of small-arms ammunition and 110 fully automatic weapons. Mann legally owns all but four weapons that are not registered to him, according to the latest count, Oliver testified. Additional charges are expected, the ATFE agent said.

Numerous pistols and semi-automatic weapons were found throughout the house, Oliver said. Mann is legally licensed to own, buy and sell fully automatic weapons, according to testimony.

Mann also legally owns two grenade launchers and about 45 rounds of practice ammunition for them, according to testimony. The grenades found in London can be fired from the grenade launchers owned by Mann and were found in a canister that matches the lot number found on another, identical canister found in Mann's home, according to Oliver.

Mann's father, Col. Kuldip Singh Mann, is a former member of the Indian armed forces, according to Oliver's testimony. He has made at least 160 trips into and out of the United States, Oliver said.

Authorities have said that Mann's arrest was part of a separate investigation from the federal probe into a West Memphis car bombing that injured the state Medical Board on Feb. 4. Authorities questioned Mann the same day that Dr. Trent Price was injured, and Hendrix said Monday he assumed that questioning was related to the bombing.

Mann had been brought before the state Medical Board twice, most recently in 2006 for writing prescriptions to patients with drug abuse problems. The mother of one of those patients who died after receiving prescriptions from Mann came to the hearing Monday.

"I just came to see him in shackles," said Theresa Harris, mother of patient Ellie Harris.

Mann surrendered his permit to write prescriptions for many controlled substances rather than risk loss of his medical license at that 2006 hearing. He wrote to the state Medical Board in 2008 saying he was unable to work for hospitals or be paid by private insurance companies without the permit, hindering his ability to continue his practice in internal medicine, according to testimony Monday.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Wow... I am not sure quite about the international connection here. The story is not quite clear, if I understand correctly he was arrested in the USA because of 98 high explosive grenades buried in London?

He has a class 3 license too! Seems nearly all the stuff he had here in the USA was class 3 legal. I wonder about those "few" unregistered machine guns...

London is a town in Arkansas...matter of fact, it has a nuclear reactor. Just up the road a piece from Russellville, AR.

London, and Nuclear One:

Ram Rod, Please keep us updated on this.

All I can say is WOW!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Shocking, but I am not surprised that here it is right in our back yard. This will be interesting to follow. Stay alert y'all.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Senior Moderator
    Ram Rod why are you posting pics of my workplace?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    First of all, the news piece,like any other has lots of wrong info in it.
    I was on duty executing warrants for violent felony parole violators that night. There were several teams of us doing that the night he was apprehended.

I know the man. He is not a bad guy. Class 3 weapons are his hobby and have been for the last 20 years or more. Because of his foreign background, and the fact that he had a practice that he did very well with, he has been on the "watch list" since Sept.11th. He has had numerous visits from the ATF and each time he was found to be compliant.

Yes his dad is an arms dealer that does alot of business with Israel. Thus he was able to secure lots of ammo for some very cheap prices, but that is only news to the media.

He does live less than a mile from the Nuclear plant in a very nice section of homes right on the lake.

What he had were some discrepancies in paperwork for M-203 rounds. These rounds each require a Form because they are considered "destructive devices", thus each round requires the 200 tax fee along with the associated paperwork.

Dr. Mann has many class 3 machine guns, I have fired several of them over the years. My personal favorite was his MG-42 WW2 German Machine gun. There is nothing else quite like the sound or the sensation of shooting it. I can only imagine the fear it put in men on the wrong end of it. Because of these machine guns, several of them collectors items worth several hundred thousand a piece, he would by ammo by the pallet. Most of the local LEO's around here know him and most have fired his guns at one time or another.

And he shot that much. He has his own personal range located outside of Atkins and one of his great pleasures in to let people shoot his stuff.

He has been the object of some controversy over the years. I wont go into that much except to say that he was crucified by the press and found not guilty of wrongdoing the first time, although the press neglected to report that much.The second time he was accused, rather than endure the abuse upon himself and his family, he chose to just throw in the towel and call it quits.

With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if its just a paperwork glitch.The investigation started when a Doc in Memphis got blown up in his car, it was somehow traced back.

Knowing the man personally, I'm not ready to pronounce him guilty of anything just yet. If they (the ATF) have the goods on him and he screwed up, he will be in a world of hurt that he wont be able to shake off.

I can only hope and pray that justice is served here.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Ram Rod why are you posting pics of my workplace?
    Hey....I didn't say anything, you did!

Senior Moderator
    That actually happened last Wednsday night. I cant beleive that its just now being reported. I have already had several calls about it today.

Man, I hate it when we make the news like that!

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That actually happened last Wednsday night. I cant beleive that its just now being reported. I have already had several calls about it today.

Man, I hate it when we make the news like that!

Hot Guns, there any openings there?
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Senior Moderator
    They just had a block hire for Operators and I&C weenies, they are supposed to hire some Electricians and Mechs at the first of next year. We're getting thin on HP's but havent heard much about that yet.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    London is a town in Arkansas...matter of fact, it has a nuclear reactor. Just up the road a piece from Russellville, AR.

London, and Nuclear One:
    I did engineering work on the internals for that plant back in the 70's... nearby towns are Booger Hollow and Toad Suck, right?

You know, it's funny - lots of folks look at the cooling towers and think *that's* where all the action is, instead of the much more sedate-looking containment buildings.
    Last edited by gasmitty; March 11th, 2009 at 12:44 AM. Reason: clarity

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    wow...110 fully automatic weapons?? i wish i had that kinda scratch laying around...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I'll wait to pass judgement,won't be the first time the ATF made something innocent look bad
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Actually, Booger Hollow is up Highway 7 about 20 miles away and Toad Suck is about 30 miles in the other direction.

"56", Deer, Long Pool,Chigger Hollow and Blue Hole aint that far away either.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Sponsored Links