Police Officer Arrested On Weapon Charges

This is a discussion on Police Officer Arrested On Weapon Charges within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is there any reason given why he pulled a weapon or just the usual press that only prints one side of the story? If you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Police Officer Arrested On Weapon Charges

Is there any reason given why he pulled a weapon or just the usual press that only prints one side of the story?
    If you read the story it appears the off duty cop sped up on the rear bumper of the citizens car and they exchanged "gestures". One would assume that Mr. LEO didn't like said gesture and pulled his gun. Mr. LEO's wife was in the car too, she must be so proud of her man.

Eickenbush said yesterday that he did not press charges immediately, but after he got home, changed his mind. He contacted state police and filed a statement that same night. He also has an appointment to file a formal complaint with state police on Wednesday, Eickenbush said.
    Sounds like the department didn't want to follow up.
    Why and how all that has happened is unclear. Court records have been sealed, and neither the Orange County District Attorney's Office nor Montgomery Justice Frederick Gorss will talk about the case. Wurtz could not be reached for comment, and SUNY officials were silent beyond a short statement.
    Records sealed? Why?
    Sources within the SUNY New Paltz Police Department, who requested anonymity, said there was general "disbelief" at Wurtz's return, which sources said is scheduled for next week. The original incident was considered by members of the 18-person police force as an embarrassing "black eye."

The fact that Wurtz will be allowed to carry a handgun is also a sticking point for some of his colleagues.
    Sounds like they know this ticking time bomb pretty well.
    Eickenbush said he knew nothing about the dismissal of the charge against Wurtz.
    Thanks, DA.

So now Mr. Eikenbush is a sitting duck. Officer Wurtz has access to every bit of information on Mr. Eikenbush.
    I hope Mr. Eikenbush doesn't have an unfortunate accident.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Are there two different stories getting mixed up here?

Wasn't the SUNY situation posted as an example of an officer who was found not guilty but not directly related to the OP?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Yes Tinker...The SUNY situation is not that of the OP and it is being commingled amongst the threads main story which it should not be.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    But the Bradys would have you believe only LEO's are responsible enough to carry handguns,If the guy pulled a gun without cause and is a hot head it will come out in the investigation and I'm betting he will soon be unemployed
    I think dukalmighty is right on the money on this one.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

VIP Member
    I travel I-84 thru there a lot. Is it OK for me to point a gun at someone and get away with it ?. I think they would lock me up till the case came along. Maybe not. He sound like a winner a real winner. I hope I never see Him on my bumper when he is on or off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yes Tinker...The SUNY situation is not that of the OP and it is being commingled amongst the threads main story which it should not be.

- Janq
    You are correct. My response was to the SUNY story. I have no information on the first story.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Another Menacing charge, different officer than the OP:

Denver Police Officer Arrested In Broomfield - cbs4denver.com

Mar 9, 2009 4:33 pm US/Mountain
    Denver Police Officer Arrested In BroomfieldBROOMFIELD, Colo. (CBS4) ―

A sergeant with Denver Police Department was arrested for suspicion of felony menacing on Friday.

Officials said Henry J. Knipple pulled his gun on another motorist in front of a school in Broomfield after a traffic incident.

As a result, the school went on lockdown.

No other information was available.
    Unfortunately, if he's found innocent, we'll never hear a thing about it. If he's found guilty, the media will publicly hang him. No matter what, things like this detract from the honorable job most LEOs perform every day.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member
    I am sure that we will hear about it hear, a teacher arrested and fired for pushing students, was found not guilty last week and it made the news. I am sure if he is found not guilty we will hear about it, unless they plea bargain it.

VIP Member
    UPDATE to the story.

Chesterfield police officer acquitted of brandishing weapon while off-duty.

By Mark Bowes

Published: April 14, 2009

A Chesterfield County police officer was acquitted yesterday of brandishing his police-issue pistol during an off-duty confrontation last month with two men.

After a 3-hour trial in Chesterfield General District Court, a judge found Officer Frank H. Darnold III not guilty and concluded that he had never unholstered his gun. He was returned to full duty yesterday after being on administrative leave with pay after his arrest.

Darnold, 25, who served in the Marines before joining the department in 2006, testified he was off-duty and in civilian clothes March 3 when a motorist began to tailgate him aggressively as he drove with his wife to a Target store, defense attorney Steven Benjamin said.

"This was the Tuesday after the big Sunday and Monday snow," Benjamin said.

Darnold stopped his vehicle, got out and told the driver behind him to stop tailgating. But in response, the driver and a passenger got out of their vehicle, Benjamin said Darnold testified.

Darnold then told both men to get back in their car, but they refused and the passenger started moving toward the officer. Both men began making belligerent comments and the passenger challenged the officer to a fight, Benjamin said.

At that point, Darnold raised the corner of his shirt to display his badge on his belt and his holstered pistol -- both of which he wears at all times, Benjamin said. The driver immediately got back in his car, but the passenger continued to move forward, Benjamin said Darnold testified.

Darnold then turned toward the passenger so the man could clearly see the officer's badge and gun. The passenger returned to the car when he saw the officer's gun, and the two men drove away, Benjamin said.

Both men testified that Darnold had his gun in his hand when he confronted them, but Darnold's wife testified the weapon was holstered, Benjamin said. Afterward, Darnold and the two men reported the incident to police emergency communications.

Under questioning by Benjamin, the passenger acknowledged that he had contacted a lawyer about filing a lawsuit against the police department and Chesterfield County and was told he could win $300,000 as a result. A court reporter hired by the man's lawyer was in the courtroom yesterday taking notes.

Benjamin also disclosed in court that the passenger had been convicted in federal court in 2003 of stealing a submachine gun and SWAT gear from the FBI in Chesterfield and was convicted in 2006 of carrying a concealed machine pistol in Richmond.

Distinguished Member
    I am glad you posted that, archer. That just shows how the media can make you guilt, just for a good story. The same thing happened to that Chesterfield school teacher. I am glad he is back on duty.

Good find Archer! I am struggling not to say, "I told you so," to some of the earlier posters but I just can't help it.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

The passenger sounds like a real dirt-bag. His friend is probably one too. They figured they'd beat up on a guy by himself and got a nice surprise. Too bad that the LEO had to go through what he did. It would only be fair that he now sue these gentlemen for the hassle that they've caused him.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    It would only be fair that he now sue these gentlemen for the hassle that they've caused him.
    +1 The only problem is, they probably don't have anything worth taking.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

And THAT is why you don't pick sides until you know all of the facts.

So many people are quick to say that he should not have done that when they were not there, nor did they know any of the details.

Use your heads people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links