Subway shop robbed with pepper spray.

This is a discussion on Subway shop robbed with pepper spray. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2 women rob Subway using pepper spray. source WTVC Newschannel9.com Women Rob Subway, Mace Customers and Employees Comments 1 | Recommend 0 March 12, 2009 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subway shop robbed with pepper spray.

2 women rob Subway using pepper spray.

source WTVC Newschannel9.com

Women Rob Subway, Mace Customers and Employees
    Comments 1 | Recommend 0
    March 12, 2009 - 2:59 PM

Chattanooga Police are looking for two female suspects who robbed the Subway at 5505 Brainerd Rd. on Tuesday (March 10th) around 2:30 pm, assaulting the employees and customers with pepper spray.

Chattanooga Police Property Crimes/Robbery Investigators said the two women entered the store, approached two customers and immediately sprayed them with pepper spray. The suspects then sprayed one of the employees, jumped the counter, and stole money from the cash register. One of the suspects chased another employee from the store.

The suspects then fled to an awaiting vehicle.

The suspects are described as:

-- B/F young in appearance
    -- dark hair in a pony tail
    -- wearing a white shirt and jeans
    -- white tennis shoes

-- B/F young in appearance
    -- wearing a jacket, possible jean jacket
    -- white shirt
    -- dark or black pants
    -- white tennis shoes

Investigators obtained a surveillance camera video from the hotel next door that shows the suspects parking on the lot in and leaving the vehicle to commit the robbery and running across the parking lot after committing the robbery.

The suspect vehicle:
    -- Newer Model purple or blue - violet Honda Civic
    -- 5 star Gold wheels

Police are asking for information on these suspects or the suspect vehicle. The women are wanted for four counts of Aggravated Assault and one count of Aggravated Robbery.

If anyone has information on this robbery, please call the Chattanooga Police Department at 423-698-2525.

VIP Member
    Since they were commiting a felony, wouldn't it be ok to draw and keep them there (or attempt to) until police arrive? What would people think about doing this? (It would be my first instinct).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

No.

Even as it is a felony there was no immediate jeopardy of life. At the worst localized general discomfort.
    I personally would not draw on them. Instead I'd be shielding my eyes so as to take a defensive if not offensive position.

If I were carrying pepper spray though I would deploy that against them if possible.
    I would not though draw nor shoot to defeat a simple robbery of sammiches and insured monies.

As to the idea of detaining them, I'm not a cop and what reason would they have to obey me and stay put?
    Shoe on the other foot if I were them and had a citizen draw down on me with wait for the cops talk, I'd beat feet.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Don't think my life would be in danger if all the had was pepper spray. Never know what else they might have but I would just watch them take the money and run. I'm not a cop and don't want to open a can of worms by pulling my gun. I hope I never have to use mine.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

They should have just held up a sandwich or piece of bread. Pepper spray is a good seasoning.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I've ate there before and the sammiches are not worth a life or 5 bucks for that matter.

VIP Member
    Mice one Rathos.

I would not shoot to defeat pepper spray, but if you draw on them and get between them and the door, what's the problem with this?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Why would I do that??? I'm not a cop. That is not my job. My CCW is only to be used to save my life not Subways money. The police have one heck of a lot of training in how to deal with this kind of stuff and have the law on their side. I just know how to order a sandwich

I wouldn't because I know I can handle the extra seasoning, but I can't fault anyone else for it. Think about it. The average person gets sprayed and they cant see straight or even really open their eyes for that matter and they're basically completely incapacitated. At that point, whomever did the spraying can do whatever they want to you. They've already communicated their intent to commit harm at that point as well.

Edit to add...what about the folks with severe cases of asthma or other severe breathing problems. Spray could very well be lethal to those folks.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I wouldn't because I know I can handle the extra seasoning, but I can't fault anyone else for it. Think about it. The average person gets sprayed and they cant see straight or even really open their eyes for that matter and they're basically completely incapacitated. At that point, whomever did the spraying can do whatever they want to you. They've already communicated their intent to commit harm at that point as well.
    Good point! I guess I would just have to be put on the spot before I could say for sure. Like I said I hope I never have to use mine.

VIP Member
    All points well taken.....thanks
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    No.

Even as it is a felony there was no immediate jeopardy of life. At the worst localized general discomfort.
    I personally would not draw on them. Instead I'd be shielding my eyes so as to take a defensive if not offensive position.

If I were carrying pepper spray though I would deploy that against them if possible.
    I would not though draw nor shoot to defeat a simple robbery of sammiches and insured monies.

As to the idea of detaining them, I'm not a cop and what reason would they have to obey me and stay put?
    Shoe on the other foot if I were them and had a citizen draw down on me with wait for the cops talk, I'd beat feet.

- Janq

The use of deadly force is authorized to stop a forcible felony in Florida. This attack clearly would qualify as such. If I'd have been there, I think that I'd be hard pressed to sit back and let 'em go.
    Last edited by David in FL; March 13th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Seems to be strong-arm robbery vs armed robbery, given the lack of a deadly weapon or immediate threat of use of a deadly weapon. They used a weapon to incapacitate, though that specific weapon, alone, didn't have the power to erase life.

Since these thugs stopped short of outright threatening of lives, they seem to have stopped well short of A.O.J. -- Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy.

In the end, though, it's a felony robbery/assault being witnessed and suffered through. Who's to say they're going to play nice-nice and merely stop at felony robbery? Forcible felony, indeed. A reasonable person shouldn't have to think one must legally suffer through whatever's going down unless and until death is being delivered, which by then is too damned late. Many states would fall on the side of eviscerating the good guy for defending against it and refusing to be a felony victim. Sad. Truly sad.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 13th, 2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Makes you think........

Subway would be good right now??? I'm thinking BMT.

Administrator
    Using OC Spray as an offensive weapon rather than as a defensive tool is an added felony unto itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links