BAD Roanoke Times LTE

This is a discussion on BAD Roanoke Times LTE within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Because of illness in the family, I haven't been on-line much lately. Here is an anti LTE from 12 March Republican ideology was tested and ...

Thread: BAD Roanoke Times LTE

VIP Member

BAD Roanoke Times LTE

Because of illness in the family, I haven't been on-line much lately.

Here is an anti LTE from 12 March

Republican ideology was tested and rejected - Roanoke.com
    (seven down)

There's no 'sport' in military weaponry

As someone who's been an avid fisherman, hunter, hiker and paddler in Western Virginia for the last 30 or so years, I'd like to answer the question posed in Nick Reed's recent letter, "Taking the 'sport' out of Obama support" (March 5).

Reed seems to think Attorney General Eric Holder's support of banning assault weapons is something that sportsmen and sportswomen should fear and for which we should blame Sens. Jim Webb and Mark Warner and President Obama.

In all my years of hunting, I never found any use for an assault rifle, which is not merely "scary looking," as Reed mentions, but truly is deadly. With horrors of the Virginia Tech shooting still fresh in our memory, I and many others think assault rifles, bazookas, neutron bombs and other military weapons are better off not in the hands of the general public. Assault rifles are not part of the sporting tradition and their use should not be coddled as such.

On the other hand, outdoors enthusiasts -- and the wildlife they enjoy -- do need clean air, clean water and unspoiled open spaces. Those issues truly matter to me in deciding which representatives get my support.

SCOTT NELSON
    BLACKSBURG
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Sounds like something the RT would publish im hoping no one will buy them out and they will go under.

I guess he won't understand the wording in an 'assault rifle ban' until he's left with a slingshot...er, maybe a slingshot!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This type of charecterization from those who use weapons only for hunting is a real problem for us in the United States. Our own NRA has in recent years relied upon the hunters and their sporting concerns too much. The misplaced belief that the tradition of weilding firearms is a hunting tradition handed down from our fore-fathers is a crock and gets more dangerous with each repeating.

We need to figure out a way to engage our hunting fellow gun owners so that they do not betray us into the incremental gun restrictions that the enemies of our freedom are attempting. They won't be the first to lose their guns but they will be on the list. How do we get their support? I don't know. I wish I did, any ideas?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I guess he won't understand the wording in an 'assault rifle ban' until he's left with a slingshot...er, maybe a slingshot!
    Didn't David use a slingshot to slay Goliath? Guess it will have to be banned as a military assault weapon too!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My response:

Regarding the editorial "There's no 'sport' in military weaponry," I own an 'assault rifle' not because I hunt, but because it is my right. I didn't need it, I wanted it. I could use it to hunt if I wanted to, and it would serve me well as a hunting firearm on certain game. It also serves me well as a plinker, since I do use it to shoot targets. Please note that military rifle competition is one of the most prestigious firearm events within the civilian shooting community at the National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio. It is NOT anymore dangerous than any number of non-military rifles that ARE commonly used for hunting. Americans should never be denied ownership of the same type of rifle that is used by our armed forces. Under the doctrine of incrementalism, an attack on any class of firearms is an attack on all gun owners. To quote Ben Franklin, "We must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    My response:

Regarding the editorial "There's no 'sport' in military weaponry," I own an 'assault rifle' not because I hunt, but because it is my right. I didn't need it, I wanted it. I could use it to hunt if I wanted to, and it would serve me well as a hunting firearm on certain game. It also serves me well as a plinker, since I do use it to shoot targets. Please note that military rifle competition is one of the most prestigious firearm events within the civilian shooting community at the National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio. It is NOT anymore dangerous than any number of non-military rifles that ARE commonly used for hunting. Americans should never be denied ownership of the same type of rifle that is used by our armed forces. Under the doctrine of incrementalism, an attack on any class of firearms is an attack on all gun owners. To quote Ben Franklin, "We must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
    +1.!

People seem to forget that the Second Amendment does not say anything about 'sporting' or 'hunting'.

Baaa.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Links