Home invasion robbers disguised as LEOs

This is a discussion on Home invasion robbers disguised as LEOs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not much info here. Home invasion robbers disguised as cops make off with cash - Pasadena Star-News Home invasion robbers disguised as cops make off ...

Thread: Home invasion robbers disguised as LEOs

VIP Member

Thumbs down Home invasion robbers disguised as LEOs

Not much info here.

Home invasion robbers disguised as cops make off with cash - Pasadena Star-News

Home invasion robbers disguised as cops make off with cash
    Posted: 03/13/2009 0201 PM PDT

ALTADENA - Several men barged into a home and stole about $2,000 in cash and other items after tricking their victim into believing they were police officers.

Several men knocked on a a 42-year-old man's door in the 3400 block of Fair Oaks Avenue at about 8:50 p.m. Thursday, wearing dark-colored police officer-type uniforms, gun belts and armed with handguns, authorities said. One man was wearing a baseball cap with the word "Police" on the front.

Authorities said the victim believed the men were police officers at first but became concerned when he did not see a marked police are in front of his home and noticed the men were wearing tennis shoes.

The men then forced the victim into a bedroom, handcuffed him at gunpoint, demanding to know where the victim's safe was. The victim's arms and legs were tied up and socks were placed in his mouth.

The victim was not injured and no one else was home at the time of the robbery, authorities said.

Anyone with any information is asked to call Altadena Sheriff's station at (626)798-1131.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=6708105

By Carlos GrandaALTADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are searching for two home invasion suspects who got inside a home by posing as police officers in Altadena.
    Police responded to the 3400 block of Fair Oaks Avenue at about 9 p.m.
    The victim, Francisco Munoz, showed Eyewitness News his ransacked bedroom, clothes strewn on the floor and closets and drawers open.
    Munoz said the two men were dressed in dark clothing that looked like police uniforms. The suspects gave him a flier and said they needed help with an investigation that was going on in the neighborhood.

Something didn't look quite right, and Munoz became suspicious.
    "He looked down at their feet and saw they were wearing tennis shoes," said Sgt. John Stanley from the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.
    Munoz looked outside to see if there was a police vehicle, and at that point, the suspects brandished handguns, forced him to the ground inside the home.
    Munoz said the suspects not only tied his hands and feet, they also covered his face.
    The suspects asked Munoz about a safe. He told them he didn't have a safe, and he said he thought the suspects were going to kill him.
    The suspects ransacked the house and fled with $2,000 cash, jewelry, his wallet and his phone.
    Munoz said he yelled to his neighbors for help.
    "I'm very surprised this would happen so close to home, and especially impostering police," said one resident.
    Neighbor Opal Joseph said someone knocked at her door recently.
    "They pretended that they were selling magazines, but I don't think they were," she said.
    Munoz said he was not hurt, and was glad his family was not home at the time.
    Anyone with information is urged to call the L.A. County Sheriff's Altadena station at (626) 798-1131.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

That's not good--might have asked to see a badge but I don't like this trend of cop-faking.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

I'm just glad I know every LEO in my county!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    I don't like this trend of cop-faking.
    If it works for the BGs and it gets press, it will likely spread -- IMHO.

BGs are always looking for an easy route.

I hope that impersonating an LEO becomes a major consecutive sentence w/o possibility of parole that gets added to what ever else goes down.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Sounds like they had prior intel...maybe did some work on the house?

Regardless, I never open the door for anybody period...unless I am absolutely sure who they are. I can yell through the door if necessary as well as call.

Rick

VIP Member
    I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting someone. Problem solved!

Cops knocking on my door will need more than a badge.
    Why would cops be knocking on MY door?
    I'd first have to make a call to verify their presence.
    Without a warrant, I don't have to even let them in...tactics of criminals would soon be found out...I think they would quickly learn that there are easier pickings somewhere else.
    I don't answer the door unarmed, and the Rhodesian is also making his presence known.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No warrent, no entrance. The police showing up on their own without being called are not my friend. There will be some dialouge before the door opens.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I expect any officers knocking on my door in normal circumstances to look decent, and with proper uniform. But then again, as a child I often used to stare at cops in slight amazement. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't give cops a second look unless they are directly approached by one. As such, they can't recognize a passable uniform, either. There are some good imposters, but I'd say these guys probably weren't really it. A simple examination probably would've quickly revealed they were up to no good... I'm sure their haircuts and facial hair were most likely improper as well.

Most true LEOs are clean cut, well kempt gentlemen and women, at least in my experience. They should also be able to produce ID upon request.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I expect any officers knocking on my door in normal circumstances to look decent, and with proper uniform. But then again, as a child I often used to stare at cops in slight amazement. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't give cops a second look unless they are directly approached by one. As such, they can't recognize a passable uniform, either. There are some good imposters, but I'd say these guys probably weren't really it. A simple examination probably would've quickly revealed they were up to no good... I'm sure their haircuts and facial hair were most likely improper as well.

Most true LEOs are clean cut, well kempt gentlemen and women, at least in my experience. They should also be able to produce ID upon request.
    Until undercover narc squad tries to serve the warrant. Plenty of that going around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm just glad I know every LEO in my county!
    "Multi-jurisdictional task force"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    If it works for the BGs and it gets press, it will likely spread -- IMHO.
    BGs are always looking for an easy route.

I hope that impersonating an LEO becomes a major consecutive sentence w/o possibility of parole that gets added to what ever else goes down.
    This happens a lot from what I hear. Especially in areas like SoCal.

Links