Robber shot by homeowner

This is a discussion on Robber shot by homeowner within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just saw this on the local news. Good for the homeowner. Bad for the BG. Evansville Resident Shoots Armed Burglar NEWS 25 - WEHT: Evansville, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robber shot by homeowner

Robber shot by homeowner

Just saw this on the local news. Good for the homeowner. Bad for the BG.

Evansville Resident Shoots Armed Burglar

NEWS 25 - WEHT: Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro

EVANSVILLE - An Evansville resident shot an armed burglar early Sunday morning when the suspect tried to rob the man in his home.

Derrick Murray told police that he was asleep in his house on the 400 block of east Riverside when his back door was kicked in and some one told him to get down on the ground.

Police say Murray got his rifle and shot 26-year-old Derek Clark after Clark confronted him with a handgun.

Police say Clark then ran out the door and attempted to get into an accomplice vehicle with multiple suspects. The driver then hit Clark with the vehicle and fled the scene.

When Officers responded they found Clark lying on the sidewalk. Clark was transported to St. Mary's hospital. Police say Murray acted in self-defense.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    Police say Clark then ran out the door and attempted to get into an accomplice vehicle with multiple suspects. The driver then hit Clark with the vehicle and fled the scene.
    I'm glad to see that "honor among thieves" is alive and well.

Glad the homeowner is safe.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I'm sorry but I'm laughing a bit here. Oh man, not a great night for Mr. Clark, eh?

VIP Member
    Sounds like Clark had some really good buddies!

That is great. It reminds me to my intro to criminal law class at the community college. We had to throw the book at someone as an exercise in legal theory. The driver of the "getaway car" could (on paper) probably be in more trouble than the actual robber. Hopefully they'll all be caught.

I'm glad the homeowner came out of this on top.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    That had me rolling there too! He gets shot AND his buddy nails him with the get away car! If he survives, you suppose he'll be ratting his buddies out that were in the car?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems more and more of these robberies are occurring in the early morning when folks are waking up, rather than the old traditional "2 am" approach while folks are asleep in their beds.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Indeed. They're getting smarter. My biggest concern is opening the garage door in the early morning. Now with the time change, its still pretty dark out, and I'm normally still not a morning person. So its a great time to ambush a homeowner right there.

This just in...

Home Robbery Classics

Team Home Owner Murray 1

Team Dirtbag Clark 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just had to chuckle at this too. Poor Clark... Not a good start to his day, that's for sure!

Too bad he's still breathing.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

ROFLMAO !!
    Shot and ran over by "friends"....priceless.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Here's a better version of the story. The guy gets run over TWICE!!!

Sorry, I can't help myself: Bwahahahahaha!!!

Man Shot & Run Over Twice

Evansville Police say they still are not sure what led to a Sunday morning break-in and shooting. It happened on Riverside Drive around 5 that morning. According to officials, Derrick Murray woke up to a group of men with guns breaking into his home. Murray grabbed a gun and shot Derek Clark in the stomach. Witnesses say the men Clark came with actually ran over him twice with their car while making their get away. Clark remains in the hospital. Police have not been able to talk to him to get his side of the story.

Original report 3/15:
    What appears to be an attempted home robbery turned bloody Sunday morning. Fox 7 was first on scene and captured exclusive video taken just minutes after the crime occurred. This story contains graphic information. Caution tape, broken glass and blood are still scattered through the neighborhood. It happened around 5:00 this morning in Evansville on Riverside Drive. The homeowner did speak to us but he didn't want his face shown on camera. Derrick Murray got a rude awakening when a group of men busted through his back door ran into his home pointed guns claiming to be police officers. "They yelled this is the police! They kicked the door in, broke the glass and I was hiding in the bedroom,” said Murray. This home owner fought back. "I grabbed my gun and shot at them and everyone ran out," he said. Derek Clark was shot in the stomach. Murray says Clark then crawled out the door. "He left a trail of blood everywhere." What happened next is something neighbors will never forget. Kathy Vessels has three children who were all home when this happened. “It was so horrible, we woke up to this man screaming for help.” Kathy looked out her door's peephole and saw a man covered in blood begging for his life. “He was yelling, 'Help me! Help me!' I ran and called 911,” said Vessels. Some of the children inside the Vessels' home were woken up by the screams. When Kathy looked out she saw a man knelt down where there's still a blood stain in front of her home. He then crawled to the road where there is another blood stain. Witnesses say he was then ran over twice by the same people he came with. “They were driving a gray Lincoln and were trying to get away. I ran out after them and started yelling. Those dudes dropped that guy and jumped in their car and ran over him. Then, they drove towards me and saw I had a gun and they backed up and ran over him again. So, that guy got ran over twice,” said Murray. Kathy Vessels says she's seen enough. “I want to move, immediately. I don't want my kids to see this or go through this again.” Murray has four children and he's glad they weren't home when this happened. “No, I'm not going to tell them about it. I don't want to scare them.” Kathy has decided not to tell her children what happened either. A decision she and Murray have in common. Derek Clark was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Unfortunately, Derek Clark's buddies may try again to pay for the body work needed to fix the get-away car after running down their buddy.
    Semper Fi

mkh
    Message for Clark - If you are going to be a BG then you need to get some better buddies.

Note to Mr. Clark,

Get better friends, Stop robbing people.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links