Va. man shoots, stabs intruders

This is a discussion on Va. man shoots, stabs intruders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Va. man shoots, stabs intruders Updated: Tuesday, 17 Mar 2009, 8:48 AM EDT Published : Tuesday, 17 Mar 2009, 8:47 AM EDT WOODBRIDGE, Va. (AP) ...

Thread: Va. man shoots, stabs intruders

Thumbs up Va. man shoots, stabs intruders

Va. man shoots, stabs
    intruders

Updated: Tuesday, 17 Mar 2009, 8:48 AM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 17 Mar 2009, 8:47 AM EDT

WOODBRIDGE, Va. (AP) - Prince William County police say a Woodbridge man stabbed one intruder and shot another after the men broke into his home.

When the man investigated a noise in his home in the 15100 block of Georgia Road on Sunday night, police say he found 28-year-old James Baumann Jr. armed with a knife.

Police say the resident stabbed Baumann in a struggle, leaving him with life-threatening injuries, and then shot 32-year-old Jason Presley.

Baumann remained hospitalized Monday, but the resident, who had been cut in the struggle, and Presley were treated and released.

Presley and Baumann are charged with burglary while armed with the intent to commit larceny and Baumann was charged with malicious wounding.

Prosecutors say there has been no ruling yet on whether the shooting was justified.

VIP Member
    Prosecutors say there has been no ruling yet on whether the shooting was justified.
    Well I don't see any question as to whether the shooting was justified.....but then again, I try to think logically about things like this.

VIP Member
    Well I don't see any question as to whether the shooting was justified.....but then again, I try to think logically about things like this.
    Logic and the law seldom go hand in hand.

This guy did alright against two intruders.

Preparation, preparation, preparation!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    guess they picked the wrong house when the resident single handedly hands both of them their tails.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Good for the homeowner~

Good for the homeowner, except the part of letting them that close. Glad he is okay. Most knife fights come out with one loser and one very seriously wounded winner. Being treated and released means he did okay.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Wow... I'm impressed. I'm really curious if the homeowner had any unarmed defensive training at all or just gutted it out and was able to over come his adversary.

I would be utterly stunned if the prosecutor ruled the shooting not to be justifiable.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Baumann was charged with malicious wounding.
    i haven't heard of a charge like that before,i don't think.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Maybe this is a silly question, but why didn't he just shoot them both?
    I always have a knive with me, but if two people break into my home, my pistol will do ALL the talking.

Stay armed...just curious...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would think in the heat of the situation, he did OK.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I always have a knive with me, but if two people break into my home, my pistol will do ALL the talking.

It sounds like he was surprised by the guy with the knife, fought him, then went and got the gun.....just guessing .

IMO, the homeowner made make one mistake, letting them live.
    I don't understand why the press puts peoples names out in cases like this. I wouldn't want the perps friends and family knowing who I was , nor would I want these guys to ever be able to bother me again. I'd want us separated by a good six feet of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

LOL Good answer!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member

Malicious Wounding -- Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    Thy to maim, disfigure, disable, or kill:

Code of Virginia

18.2-51. Shooting, stabbing, etc., with intent to maim, kill, etc.

If any person maliciously shoot, stab, cut, or wound any person or by any means cause him bodily injury, with the intent to maim, disfigure, disable, or kill, he shall, except where it is otherwise provided, be guilty of a Class 3 felony. If such act be done unlawfully but not maliciously, with the intent aforesaid, the offender shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.
    OTOH succeed in causing victim to suffer permanent and significant physical impairment:

18.2-51.2. Aggravated malicious wounding; penalty.

A. If any person maliciously shoots, stabs, cuts or wounds any other person, or by any means causes bodily injury, with the intent to maim, disfigure, disable or kill, he shall be guilty of a Class 2 felony if the victim is thereby severely injured and is caused to suffer permanent and significant physical impairment.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    Ive gotten charged before for "parking on pavement"... I thought thats where I was supposed to park
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Sponsored Links