3 cops beat guy, one fired, city out &100,000

This is a discussion on 3 cops beat guy, one fired, city out &100,000 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Click on link to see video, also another item about Wisconsin. HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com Video shows fired Conn. officer beating suspect By STEVE FEICA Associated ...

Thread: 3 cops beat guy, one fired, city out &100,000

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

3 cops beat guy, one fired, city out &100,000

Click on link to see video, also another item about Wisconsin.

HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Video shows fired Conn. officer beating suspect

By STEVE FEICA
    Associated Press Writer
    AP Photo
    AP Photo/Connecticut Police Department via MyRecordJournal.com
    Watch Related Video

Raw Video: Conn. Officer Beats Suspect
    Advertisement
    Buy AP Photo Reprints
    PHOTO GALLERY
    AP Photo

Milwaukee Police Controversy

Arrest-related deaths by state
    Your Questions Answered
    Ask AP: Peanut butter recall, voter fraud

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- A video released this week by a central Connecticut police department shows a former officer pummeling an unresisting suspect with his fists in an expletive-laced beating that ends with the lawman shouting, "That was me being gentle!" The officer, Brian Lawlor, was fired three months after the 2005 incident. He pleaded guilty March 12 to a third-degree assault and was given a one-year suspended sentence.

The nearly five-minute video was recorded from Lawlor's squad car and was released Wednesday under a Freedom of Information request, according to Sgt. Lenny Caponigro, the department's spokesman.

It begins with a Lawlor in pursuit of a suspect in a road rage incident, identified later as Alexis Hernandez of Meriden.

Lawlor was joined by a second officer and the chase ended in a public housing project after Hernandez's car was rammed from behind by Lawlor's cruiser.

The video shows Hernandez being hit as he sat in the driver's seat, and the beating continued as he was pulled from his car. Three officers are seen attacking Hernandez, who appears handcuffed in the footage, beating him with a gun, their fists and repeatedly kneeing him.

No charges were ever filed against the other two officers.

Neither Hernandez nor Police Chief Jeffry Cossette immediately returned telephone calls Thursday.

Cossette told the Record-Journal that Lawlor's actions on the video were unacceptable. Lawlor was fired in December 2005.

"The efforts were not to get the suspect into custody, they were to punish the suspect," Cossette said.

Two months after the incident, Hernandez filed a letter of intent to sue the city, but a settlement was reached for $100,000.

Attorney Norman Pattis, who represented Lawlor, said Thursday that the video supports Lawlor's contention that he thought Hernandez was reaching for a gun.

"In the heat of a high-speed pursuit, the man appeared to be reaching for a gun. Should Lawlor have shot him?" Pattis said.

The lawyer declined to say what Lawlor had been doing since he was fired.

Cossette said he was satisfied with the plea agreement Lawlor got because the conviction will make him unable to be a police officer anywhere in Connecticut.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not condoning the officer's behavior, it was wrong. However, uh, who was it that was involved in a road rage incident and wouldn't stop for the police?

I would like to know what happened to Hernandez. Was he convicted for the road rage incident? Was he convicted for fleeing? Did he have priors? Was he DUI?

I think the relatively low amount of money damages to "the victim" speaks to his own involvement in causing the problem in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think the relatively low amount of money damages to "the victim" speaks to his own involvement in causing the problem in the first place.
    I think you're right. $100K is a "here's something for your troubles, now go away" settlement.

VIP Member
    I think this real bad to treat someone like this. I hope some one does the same to the x-cop and the other cop's who beat up on the Guy.

To protect and serve ?. They make the Good Cop's look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    I think this real bad to treat someone like this. I hope some one does the same to the x-cop and the other cop's who beat up on the Guy.

To protect and serve ?. They make the Good Cop's look bad.
    you think this was real bad... and yet you want something to do the same to the ex-cop?

Kind of hypocritical don't ya think?

He got fired, one year suspended sentence, unable to a cop anymore. It could have been worse... maybe could have done some actual jail time, but to feel he should have the same thing done to him is just plain vengeful for the sake of payback.

JMHO
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Bark'n
    you think this was real bad... and yet you want something to do the same to the ex-cop?

Yes I knew someone would catch this before I hit sumit. I would not want to hurt anyone as I would not like someone to hurt me.

But I also believe a eye for a eye.

He lost His job, that is good as people like Him should not be in these jobs. If I did that were I worked I would lose My job.

He should have done some jail time. If the Guy driving the car done that to the Cop. He would be dead or in jail for a long time.

JMHO.

And cops wonder why folks are afraid and nervous even on a simple traffic stop.

Yes, this kind of event makes even our good officers look bad. And that, is a shame seeing how their job is hard enough.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not condoning the officer's behavior, it was wrong. However, uh, who was it that was involved in a road rage incident and wouldn't stop for the police?

I would like to know what happened to Hernandez. Was he convicted for the road rage incident? Was he convicted for fleeing? Did he have priors? Was he DUI?

Most likely all charges against Hernandez were dismissed. There is a policy that if the State has to engaged in illegal activity in order to prosecute someone, then it is likely that the evidence is tainted beyond use. "Illegal police conduct" is what it is usually called, and if shown, is a terminating sanction against the State.

VIP Member

Just curious about public policy issue

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Most likely all charges against Hernandez were dismissed. There is a policy that if the State has to engaged in illegal activity in order to prosecute someone, then it is likely that the evidence is tainted beyond use. "Illegal police conduct" is what it is usually called, and if shown, is a terminating sanction against the State.
    It appears the illegal activity had little to do with prosecution, but with the act of apprehension and the aftermath. Do you think that if they had chased down a murderer the murder case should be or would be dismissed as a matter of public policy? Not trying to quibble, but would like to know what the public policy actually is and how it actually would apply to a situation as this one.

I'd still like to know what happened to the guy. I bet he got punished for the road rage and for fleeing.

Links