Homeowner Shoots Burglar in Head, Arm

This is a discussion on Homeowner Shoots Burglar in Head, Arm within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner Shoots Burglar in Head, Arm | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL lake wales home invasion Homeowner Shoots Burglar in Head, Arm Michael ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Homeowner Shoots Burglar in Head, Arm | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

lake wales home invasion
    Michael Collins of Tampa is charged with armed burglary.

By Jeremy Maready
    THE LEDGER

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 8:22 p.m.

LAKE WALES | A Lake Wales security guard shot a man breaking into his home off East Grove Avenue on Wednesday morning, according to Lake Wales police.

Michael Collins, 45, of Tampa, was shot in the head and left arm by the homeowner and flown to Lakeland Regional Medical Center. He was listed in stable condition Wednesday afternoon and expected to recover, said LWPD Capt. Troy Schulze.

Collins was charged with armed burglary and possession of burglary tools, which are both felonies, Schulze said.

The homeowner, whose name has not been released pending an investigation by the State Attorney's Office, declined to comment for this story.

The shooting happened at 10:30 a.m. at 1261 E. Grove Ave.

When Collins entered the home through a sliding glass door, he woke the homeowner, who had fallen asleep after working a night shift.

The homeowner was asleep in his bedroom with his 3-year-old daughter and infant child, Schulze said. "He woke to the sound of crashing. He (the homeowner) doesn't know if it was the blinds or the man prying the sliding glass door."

When he heard the commotion, the homeowner grabbed a .380-caliber handgun and walked out of his room.

A startled Collins swung his crowbar at the homeowner, missing him, and attempted to run out of the home, police said.

But the homeowner began firing his gun, striking Collins in the head and the arm, officials said.

"It was pretty bloody," Schulze said. "But that's pretty typical of a head wound."

Collins ran out of the home and to his van, with the homeowner following. When Collins reached into his van, the homeowner fired again, but it wasn't clear where those shots landed, police said.

Collins tried to drive away on an unpaved road in an orange grove, eventually overturning his car about 100 yards from the home, Schulze said.

Lake Wales police and the Polk County Sheriff's Office worked on the crime scene Wednesday morning, and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement was expected to take aerial photographs that afternoon, Schulze said.

Collins was flown to LRMC. Before paramedics took him away, he told police he was passing through Lake Wales and randomly decided to burglarize the home, Schulze said. "He also said he feels the man shouldn't have shot him because he was trying to leave."
    Seems to me he ought to be giving thanks the guy didn't have a bigger caliber and/or was a better shot.

Additionally, the homeowner may be in trouble for following and shooting. I hope not, but you never know.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Man, and I thought only deer ran 100 yards even after being shot.

Hope this turns out well for the homeowner. Maybe in Florida he'll be alright but certian states wouldn't be so understanding if the facts prove to be as written. Chasing the guy out into the yard and firing additional shots could come back to haunt him.... Glad he's smart enough to keep his trap shut and not talk to the media.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

"He also said he feels the man shouldn't have shot him because he was trying to leave."
    Well, maybe the homeowner feels you shouldn't have broken into his house and taken a swing at him with a crowbar.

Michael Collins, 45, of Tampa, was shot in the head and left arm by the homeowner
    I hope Collins is left-handed. I am so sick of people who will do this:
    he told police he was passing through Lake Wales and randomly decided to burglarize the home
    I hope the next victim randomly has a larger caliber and stops this attempted murderer from trying to kill yet another victim.

There is no excuse for home invasion. I hope Collins goes to jail, and I hope some other prisoner randomly invades Collins' cell and shows him what random violence is all about.

Swing a crowbar at me and you'll get shot. Not smart of HO to chase burglar outside though. But, I can understand being caught in the moment and adrenaline rush factor.

Michael Collins, 45, of Tampa, was shot in the head and left arm by the homeowner and flown to Lakeland Regional Medical Center. He was listed in stable condition Wednesday afternoon and expected to recover
    I'd say the homeowner needs some range time.

See, it's those darned .380 caliber weapons...the holes just weren't big enough...

This home owner need some range time with a 12 ga. coach gun...so as to completely 'remove' the head...that way if the dirtbags is able to run away and flee the area, the cops still have the head for identification purposes (except the height of the BG might be a little off).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I'd say the homeowner needs some range time.
    Or a stronger caliber!!
    God & Guns!

Florida has a castle doctrine, so hopefully the homeowner will not be prosecuted. Here in VA, though, you'd very likely see jail time if you fired at a fleeing burgler, even if he tried to kill you. Does anyone know how far Florida's castle doctrine goes?
    Sig .40 P229 DAK
    XDM 9mm
    CrossBreed SuperTuck

Quote Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
    Here in VA, though, you'd very likely see jail time if you fired at a fleeing burgler, even if he tried to kill you.
    I know it's the law... but that just really sucks. It's easy to sit back later, and using "detached reflection," say, oh, he shouldn't have chased him out of the house and shoot him again.

I mean really, with the adrenaline rush surging through your body after a man tries to kill you and during the "heat of the moment," the benefit of the doubt really should go to the defender by default!

It's one thing if the attacker has a change of heart at the last minute and attempts to flee before any shots are fired and then gets shot in the back while running away. But after the attack has already begun and shots have already been fired either by the attacker or the defender, it's pretty hard to just hit the stop button during the heat of the moment.

JMHO

Btw... +1 for the homeowner! Good Job!

And I'm not fond of .380 for a primary defensive weapon but that's just me. Yeah, I have one, but it's a BUG and sometimes carried as a 3rd gun. A 2nd BUG, so to speak.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

[QUOTE=Bark'n;1073489]I know it's the law... but that just really sucks. It's easy to sit back later, and using "detached reflection," say, oh, he shouldn't have chased him out of the house and shoot him again.

I mean really, with the adrenaline rush surging through your body after a man tries to kill you and during the "heat of the moment," the benefit of the doubt really should go to the defender by default!

It's one thing if the attacker has a change of heart at the last minute and attempts to flee before any shots are fired and then gets shot in the back while running away. But after the attack has already begun and shots have already been fired either by the attacker or the defender, it's pretty hard to just hit the stop button during the heat of the moment.

JMHO
    [QUOTE]

JMO too!

BG broke into his home, and then used deadly force aginst the homeowner.........it's on at that point.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I cant believe he survived the headshot. I mean, i know it happens but what are the odds? WOW!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Break into my house and take a swing at me with a crowbar, and you won't be making it back out the door for me to chase you
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    I cant believe he survived the headshot. I mean, i know it happens but what are the odds? WOW!

Doesn't say how he was hit, just that he was shot in the head. It was probably only a grazing hit. Enough to make the guy bleed like a stuck pig, but not put him down for the count.

I hope with Florida's Castle Doctrine the home owner comes out of this OK. As someone else already said, in VA he'd be in trouble, especially over the shot fired outside the house.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I had a partner shot in the head with a .38 and the bullet went under the skin but not into his skull. The bullet stayed just beneath the skin and went from the front side of his head to the back side. He caught the guy that shot him and handcuffed him before he passed out. He fell on top of the BG. My partner weight was just over 220 and the BG couldn't get out from under him. Some days you are just blessed.
    I hope this shooting goes well for the home owner.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
    Florida has a castle doctrine, so hopefully the homeowner will not be prosecuted. Here in VA, though, you'd very likely see jail time if you fired at a fleeing burgler, even if he tried to kill you. Does anyone know how far Florida's castle doctrine goes?
    Anyone in your home uninvited is presumed to be committing a violent felony by FL law. Now, be that as it may, chasing the guy outside...he is probably at the mercy of the State's Attorney. Imperial Polk County (where Lake Wales is located)...he might be able to get away with shooting the guy at point blank range, until dead, removing and disposing of the body...and get a medal.

Sheriff Grady Judd is the one who, when asked why his deputies shot a cop killer 68 times, answered with, "They were out of ammo." (or something to that effect).
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links