Shooting victim decided not to prosecute???

This is a discussion on Shooting victim decided not to prosecute??? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Could someone explain "but the charge was dropped because Paschal decided not to prosecute"? Roanoke shooting avoidable, says prior victim - Roanoke.com Roanoke shooting avoidable, ...

Thread: Shooting victim decided not to prosecute???

VIP Member

Could someone explain "but the charge was dropped because Paschal decided not to prosecute"?

Roanoke shooting avoidable, says prior victim - Roanoke.com

Roanoke shooting avoidable, says prior victim
    Angela Paschal said if she had pressed charges in 2000, Thursday's shooting may not have happened.
    By Amanda Codispoti | The Roanoke Times

Angela Paschal never imagined that her boyfriend would shoot her, even in the minute before he pulled out the gun as they argued.

He fired the .40-caliber pistol twice, striking her once in her right leg, she said.

Roanoke police charged Lamar Brown with malicious wounding in that shooting nine years ago, but the charge was dropped because Paschal decided not to prosecute.

"I thought he was worth a second chance," she said.

On Friday, Paschal said she regrets that decision.

Brown, 36, is now wanted by police in connection with another shooting Thursday that injured a woman outside Central Baptist Church in Northwest Roanoke.

Central Baptist's pastor, the Rev. Joseph Keaton, said the woman is a secretary at the church and is Brown's ex-girlfriend.

Keaton declined to identify the woman. Police have not released the victim's name either, because they didn't have permission from her to do so, Capt. Curtis Davis said.

The shooting happened about noon as the woman was in her car leaving the church in the 1500 block of Staunton Avenue Northwest.

She was struck in the shoulder and drove herself to Fire Station No. 9, one mile away on 24th Street. From there she was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Her condition is not known.

News of Thursday's shooting immediately reminded Paschal of her own experience with Brown in 2000, she said.

"I feel awful -- I mean awful -- that he shot her, because had I went to court, I'm sure he'd still be locked up," she said. "I took a second chance on him."

She and Brown had already broken up but were still living together on Hanover Avenue Northwest that January in 2000 when she was shot, Paschal said.

She said that on that afternoon, he was upset about the breakup and paced their bedroom, crying. Then he pulled out the gun.

"My world started going in slow motion," she said.

Paschal heard the gun fire, and then felt the bullet hit the lower part of her leg. She fell to the floor, and Brown fired again, but the bullet missed her, she said.

"He wasn't himself," she said, describing Brown as a father figure to her children.

Brown fled to Philadelphia after the 2000 shooting and was arrested when he came back to Roanoke a few weeks later.

He was also charged at that time with using a firearm in commission of a malicious wounding and unlawful possession of a firearm. Those charges were also dropped.

Paschal has fully recovered from her injuries.

In the years since the shooting, Brown and Paschal have kept in touch, Paschal said. Thursday, after the most recent shooting, Paschal said Brown called her, wanting a ride to Philadelphia.

"He says he didn't do it," she said.

Anyone with information about Brown's whereabouts should call 911. He may be armed, police said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I suppose by "2nd" chance she means she took him back...She's not worth much more to the gene pool than he is.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

He shoots her, shoots at her TWICE, flees the scene, get caught, has an unlawful firearm......and she gives him a second chance? Either she was on drugs or she needs to be on drugs (i.e. meds). Totally insane.
    Glock 19
    NRA Member, Harley Wide Glide Rider
    Michigan Born and Raised

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Could someone explain "but the charge was dropped because Paschal decided not to prosecute"?
    They probably meant she wouldn't press charges, testify or would be sympathetic to the shooter making the trial a nightmare.

Just another case of crappy journalism since Paschal has no authority to decide to prosecute or not.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by MackinacMike View Post
    He shoots her, shoots at her TWICE, flees the scene, get caught, has an unlawful firearm......and she gives him a second chance? Either she was on drugs or she needs to be on drugs (i.e. meds). Totally insane.
    That might be confused for "love"

Many people who do this get buggered or killed in the end.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 21st, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    There's something wrong with this statement, "Roanoke police charged Lamar Brown with malicious wounding in that shooting nine years ago, but the charge was dropped because Paschal decided not to prosecute."

Is Paschal the Commonwealth's Attorney as well as the target of the shooting? Once a complaint has been filed, only the Commonwealth's Attorney can make a decision not to prosecute. Paschal wasn't the "victim" in the criminal case, because the State is the victim of every crime (by definition, an offense against the dignity of the State). Paschall was only a witness. This article suggests that the tail was wagging the dog.

Sounds to me like the local law enforcement community is spinning the facts to avoid the appearance of having made a mistake.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Unfortunately, too many women who are victims of domestic violence take back their men in hopes of changes being made. But in the end, the man will almost always do it again..
    Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.
    - David T. Wolf

Lamar was never going to be changed...unfortunately he could/should have been changed a while back...to dust!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In our court system all statements are allowed to be challenged and cross examined. a statement is generally not admissible in a trial unless it is a dying deceleration. which means that in this case they (i am assuming) needed Paschal's testimony to get a conviction. Our laws also do not compel you to testify in any court unless it is requested by the defendant. So eventhough she does not have the "authority" to "prosecute" him she was able to decide weather or not to prosecute him by weather or not she would testify against him.

does she really think he would still be locked up for that shooting 9 yrs ago w/the pansy liberal judges we have. a year maybe..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

She is worse than he is IMO. Love really is blind I guess.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Classic battered wife/spouse/girlfriend/partner (whatever) syndrome. They get obsessed with the idea of "oh, well... maybe he didn't really mean it, I guess, even though in my heart I know he's a monster... I'll give him a second (in reality, millionth) chance! It'll be ok! Yea!"

Lying to yourself doesn't make things any more true.

VIP Member

Thumbs up Lamar Antonio Brown arrested

Roanoke shooting suspect arrested in Florida - Roanoke.com

Maybe I should have titled this thread, "Why you should carry at work/ at church/ etc.

Roanoke shooting suspect arrested in Florida
    By Amanda Codispoti

The suspect in last week's shooting outside a Northwest Roanoke church was arrested today in Florida, police said.

The U.S. Marshals Service arrested Lamar Antonio Brown, 36, in Tampa, said Roanoke police spokeswoman Aisha Johnson.

Brown is accused of shooting the secretary at Central Baptist Church on Thursday as she left work in her car. The woman drove to a nearby fire station and sought help. The church's pastor, the Rev. Joseph Keaton, has said that Brown and the victim recently had broken up. Police are not releasing the victim's identity at her request.

Brown is charged with malicious wounding, shooting into an occupied vehicle, shooting from a vehicle, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and possession of a firearm as a convicted felon.

In 2000, Brown was charged with shooting a different woman. Those charges were dropped because that woman decided not to prosecute.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links