Mixing alcohol, guns in restaurants (In defense of conceal carry in NC)

This is a discussion on Mixing alcohol, guns in restaurants (In defense of conceal carry in NC) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is why we need to fight to lift draconian laws in NC. Hopefully when they send the restraunt carry bill back up it will ...

Thread: Mixing alcohol, guns in restaurants (In defense of conceal carry in NC)

This is why we need to fight to lift draconian laws in NC. Hopefully when they send the restraunt carry bill back up it will be fixed and voted on!

FayObserver.com - Current Article Page

Imagine, if you will, that Don Talbot had been a diner on Aug. 6, 1993, at Luigi’s Italian Restaurant along North McPherson Church Road.

Pete and Ethel Parrous, the owners, might have survived. And so might have customers Wesley Cover and James Kidd.

Eight others, just out for a summer dining experience, may never had taken buckshot from Kenneth Junior French’s 20-minute shotgun reign of terror — the most storied crime in Cumberland County history.

“For sure,” Talbot, 69, wrote in a recent e-mail, “if bullets start flying in a crowded place it will probably be from hoodlums and then I hope, if I am there, that I will be able to protect myself and family with my concealed handgun, and maybe you and others, too.”

Talbot adamantly supports a bill recently filed by state Sen. Andrew Brock, a four-term Republican from Mocksville, that would allow any state resident with a concealed weapons permit to take his or her gun into an alcohol-serving restaurant.

“The reasons they have gunmen go into these areas is because they know the people there are defenseless,” Brock has said. “If they knew that people were armed or had a possibility of being armed, they wouldn’t go in there.”

Right on, Talbot says.

But here’s the dilemma.

You, as a weapon-carrying citizen, violate state law if you enter any establishment that serves alcohol.

No gun.

No rifle.

No pistol.

A restaurant owner can carry a weapon. Or a police officer or an on-duty military man or woman.

But not the rest of us.

We do not want a return to the wild, wild west. And yet, we are living in a violent and volatile world.

“Clearly,” Talbot writes, “when you ban citizens from their guns, only criminals will have them.”

I know there are many responsible folks who own guns, and most likely would use them responsibly. I know there are some irresponsible people who own guns, and they might use them irresponsibly.

Therein lies the rub.

Brock’s proposed legislation likely will meet with resistance from lawmakers.

But consider this.

What if Don Talbot had been in Luigi’s Italian Restaurant on Aug. 6, 1993, when Kenneth Junior French, a tanked-up 23-year-old Army sergeant with a beef against homosexuals, took four lives and injured eight others.

“Yes, unequivocally without hesitation,” says Talbot, an expert marksman with a handgun and three Vietnam tours behind him, “I would have shot French until the threat was ended.”

Technically, Talbot would have violated state law for having a concealed handgun in a public restaurant.

But as a longtime restaurant owner told me, “I would rather have 12 people judging me than six people carrying me.”

Bill Kirby can be reached at kirbyb@fayobserver.com or 323-4848, ext. 486.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Good luck with that. I sometimes make excursions across that border, including a week's vacation. Sure would like to carry in restaurants.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It's against the law to drink while carrying, but even if I just want a good meal, I'm not allowed into the restaurant. Stupid law!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    It's against the law to drink while carrying, but even if I just want a good meal, I'm not allowed into the restaurant. Stupid law!
    I agree about the consumption of alcohol and carring, but, I rarely drink.

What we want is a law that allows us to be able to defend ourselves in a restraunt while we are eating. If I take my family out to eat, I basically have to;

A. Leave my weapon at home. (thus rendering myself a victim)
    B. Leave my weapon in my vehicle. (Thus allowing myself to be liable to theft if my vehicle is broken into)

These are unacceptable to ANY Law Abiding person!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Had to leave mine in the van just yesterday while enjoying a nice sushi lunch with the wife and son.

Sucks that it is the same here in SC.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

And, if any of the victims in the story were service members out of Bragg or Pope, it would've been a double tragedy.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

It's sad that so many laws in our country are put there by sheep who don't know any better or refuse to believe the truth.

I don't drink at all while carrying but I really don't see anything wrong with having a beer or glass of wine with dinner. But the sheep do, so there you are.

I thought we had it bad here in Virginia where you have to open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but to be completely prohibited from carrying in such a restaurant . . . . sheesh!

I feel your pain. Hope this bill gets through.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

It's always kind of funny to note that the same people against someone carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol but the person does not drink, are just fine with someone who drives a hunk of metal that weighs a ton or more, with keys in their pocket and the car or truck right outside, going into these restaurants and drinking for sure.

These people can't provide a logical reason because there isn't one. It's already illegal to be drunk while carrying so laws like this should already be common sense... but unfortunately, they aren't.

Links