Poll Should we as CCL holders get involved

This is a discussion on Poll Should we as CCL holders get involved within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; from an email I received from Dr. Ignatius Piazza Founder and Director Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Regarding the Miami shootout Is This a Front ...

View Poll Results: Should we as CCL holders get involved

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should we CCL holders stay seated do nothing and pretend to be a sheep and only act should our own person welfare be challenged

36 24.16%
  • Should we just shoot the BG without notice, and keep shooting him until the threat is over

74 49.66%
  • Should we order the BG to the floor and if they turns or does anything else other than to assume the position, shoot him over and over again, before he gets a chance to fire at us

39 26.17%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Poll Should we as CCL holders get involved

from an email I received from Dr. Ignatius Piazza
    Founder and Director
    Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

Regarding the Miami shootout

Is This a Front Sight Student?
    March 30th, 2009
    I received numerous e-mails from people across the country this week asking if one of our students was involved in a shooting at a Burger King in Miami.
    As soon as they described how the even unfolded, I knew the answer…
    I knew this was not a Front Sight student because a Front Sight student would know better than to make such glaring mistakes.
    In a robbery, you maintain a low profile by keeping your mouth shut, your eyes open, and position yourself for a quick clean shot. If it appears that nobody is going to get hurt, you let the robber take the money and exit the building. You then keep your distance while keeping your eyes on him so you can be a good witness for the authorities who are on their way.
    If at any time you reasonably believe that you or those around you are in IMMEDIATE danger of serious bodily injury or death, you present your concealed weapon and deliver fight stopping hits.
    Routinely, Front Sight graduates can deliver two center of mass hits from a concealed holster at conversational distances in less than 2 seconds, which is well under the reaction time of someone intent on robbing a clerk.
    Had a Front Sight student been in that Burger King, he would not have brought unnecessary attention to himself by confronting the robber or arguing about anything. He would have kept his mouth shut, slowly maneuvered into a position of safety or advantage and set a mental trigger as to what movement or action by the robber would result delivering two, sighted shots to the robber’s thoracic cavity in about 1.5 seconds!
    If the robber did not display the intent to injure anyone, then there would have been no gunfight. Burger King’s insurance would have replaced the few hundred dollars that was stolen and the police would have apprehended the robber after running his license plate and description.
    If the robber had shown intent to injure, then the result would have been an incapacitated robber with two or more holes in his chest– who didn’t even see them coming.
    Unfortunately, the CCW holder in this case was not Front Sight trained. Although heroic in his attempts, getting shot for hamburger money is not a good exchange in anyone’s mind. He simply has never received the level of training we provide.
    I wish the CCW holder had attended a course with us because the outcome would have been much different.
    There is a reason why we provide a Four Day Defensive Handgun Course followed by a 30 State CCW course. It is because we want you trained to levels that exceed law enforcement and military standards so that when you have no choice but to use your weapon, the results are as they should be… you standing tall and unscathed and the bad guy piled up in a heap of his own body fluids.
    Dr. Ignatius Piazza
    Founder and Director
    Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

From reading his email, I presume he would of picked “A”, as I did.

However, I have a tendency to not listen to reason and get involved. So that’s why I posted the other two options, because they would have been my other two options.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    However, if I felt that my life could be in jeopardy, I'd quickly take out the BG before he even knew I was there...no sense in being fair about it.
    To quote Jayne from Firefly: "I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight..."

Not sure who said this first:"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you obviously didn't plan properly."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Upland man View Post
    From my study into this it seems that you have to at least tell him to put his hands above his head or you will shoot. If you just shoot the liability is to great. If he has his gun on the clerk your shot could make him clinch and shoot that person. In the position that we are assuming the GG is in I would position myself with some space between the BG and myself. With weapon drawn and sight square on his vitals I would yell for him to put hands in the air or I will shoot. If he turned to me at all or did not comply it would be a split second reaction for me to respond with force.
    If the perp decided to turn and fire when warned, he/she may, probably will, be able to do that before you can fire. Action almost always beats reaction.

Guys who had the drop on a bad guy have been shot because the bad guy reacted faster than they could pull the trigger. Beyond nearly contact range, the spinning aiming attacker has the advantage - harder to hit, not limited by the consequences of missing you and hitting others. The only way the defender has an edge is to attack with out warning.

If the situation looks like I or others are in mortal danger from a guy/girl with a drawn gun and evident hostile intentions, I'm sure not going to give him/her any warning at all. None.

Fitch

VIP Member
    I’ve asked myself these questions time and time again and I keep returning to these words. “Just because we can, doesn’t mean we should”. The circumstances we may be presented with are soOoo very subjective, it’s impossible to know how we would react.

My view?: this whole conceal gun thing’ is primarily to protect myself from a clear and immediate threat of potential loss of life. As such, I do hold to these two basic considerations. Don’t try and be a cop, and don’t attempt to be a hero. My objective is to arrive home at the end of the day without worrying about how I just shot someone who perpetrated a crime against another.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

It depends on which will result in me getting my whopper meal quicker
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links