BAD:11-Year-Old Boy to Stand Trail for Shooting

This is a discussion on BAD:11-Year-Old Boy to Stand Trail for Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; - The clothing of an 11-year-old accused of killing his father's pregnant fiancee had gunshot residue on it, a state trooper testified Tuesday at his ...

Thread: BAD:11-Year-Old Boy to Stand Trail for Shooting

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

BAD:11-Year-Old Boy to Stand Trail for Shooting

- The clothing of an 11-year-old accused of killing his father's pregnant fiancee had gunshot residue on it, a state trooper testified Tuesday at his preliminary hearing, where the boy was held for trial.

Trooper Troy Scott Steinheiser testified the clothing was taken from Jordan Brown the evening of Feb. 20, the day Kenzie Marie Houk, 26, was found dead in the bedroom of the farmhouse in Wampum, where she lived with her two daughters, Brown and his father, Christopher Brown.

tests revealed the residue, Steinheiser testified.

Another trooper, Sgt. Kenneth Markilinski, testified that he found a 20-gauge shotgun in Brown's upstairs bedroom and it smelled as though it had recently been fired.

Investigators contend that Brown placed the youth-model shotgun a Christmas gift from his father to Houk's head as she slept and shot her once, killing her and causing her unborn son to die of a lack of oxygen. The fetus was nearly full-term. Brown is charged with two counts of homicide.

Brown is charged as an adult; District Judge David Rishel ruled Tuesday that Brown should stand trial. Defense lawyers said they plan to file a motion to transfer the case to juvenile court.

At least one other case of a child allegedly killing a family member is making its way through the courts. In Arizona, a 9-year-old boy has pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death of his father's co-worker and roommate, 39-year-old Tim Romans.

Romans and the boy's father, Vincent Romero, a 29-year-old employee of a construction company, were shot with a .22-caliber rifle. The murder charge filed in his father's death was dropped as part of the plea deal.

In Pennsylvania, Houk's family has suggested that Brown was envious of Houk, but one of his attorneys has dismissed that claim and said there was no animosity.

Brown was led into the courtroom with his hands cuffed and shackled to a belt on his waist. He appeared to sit calmly throughout the two-hour hearing.

Defense attorneys said they need more evidence to understand what happened. Brown denies shooting Houk, defense attorney Dennis Elisco said. "There's never been an admission," he said.

Christopher Brown attended the hearing but did not speak to reporters.

No trial date has been set.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

The 11 yr. olds father should also be charged IMHO with involuntary manslaughter _and_ secondary charges under child protection and safety laws as well as having made a strawman purchase too with specific intent to purchase a firearm on behalf/for a person who otherwise would not have been lawful to purchase nor possess such a firearm.

Enforce the laws already on the books and do so to the fullest extent in cases like this, rather than introduce bans and further infringe upon the rights and abridge the abilities of people unrelated who do not act criminally.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The 11 yr. olds father should also be charged IMHO with involuntary manslaughter _and_ secondary charges under child protection and safety laws as well as having made a strawman purchase too with specific intent to purchase a firearm on behalf/for a person who otherwise would not have been lawful to purchase nor possess such a firearm.

Enforce the laws already on the books and do so to the fullest extent in cases like this, rather than introduce bans and further infringe upon the rights and abridge the abilities of people unrelated who do not act criminally.

- Janq
    im a bit confused, it is illeagal to by your child a gun?.....i can see mabye a law about a child having access to the gun and ammo(not to say id agree with it) but buying your kid a gun being a strawman purchase? i wasnt aware of that law, im really not trying to be sarcastic, or anything mabye you can clarify your post for me.

This really is a sad story. Very sad.

However, given the facts as they are outlined I have NO problem with the 11 year old being tried as an adult.

It's a trial. Facts will be presented and the jury will render a verdict. And, the Judge, a sentence.

As to the father being charged - - - I don't know, that's a tough one too. But, I guess in this day and age, probably some charges are in order. As I said at the top, this is really a sad story.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

An eleven year old who can commit this type of crime is certainly capable of serving an adult sentence...lock 'em up! (after the trial, of course)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    An eleven year old who can commit this type of crime is certainly capable of serving an adult sentence...lock 'em up! (after the trial, of course)
    Ditto...I believe it was premeditated. Mixed emotions on the father...the kid could of used a hammer. That being said...I am inclined to believe there is an element of negligence on the part of the father for the access.

Rick

With this level of murder this kid should be tried as an adultThey need to put him away for good

I wonder if he will get capital punishment... This is extremely sad to see a mother and unborn child be murdered in such a way...

Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    im a bit confused, it is illeagal to by your child a gun?.....i can see mabye a law about a child having access to the gun and ammo(not to say id agree with it) but buying your kid a gun being a strawman purchase? i wasnt aware of that law, im really not trying to be sarcastic, or anything mabye you can clarify your post for me.
    BJ,

You are correct.

I always forget the federal law is narrow specific to _handguns_ not firearms in general.
    In this case the straw purchase rule does not apply nor is it unlawful for a juvenile to own or possess a non-handgun firearm. I've got to rewrite my memory banks to specific HANDGUN. Argh.

So dad is clear on that point but as you mentioned I would as a prosecutor go after him on child endangerment at the state law level, in addition to the involuntary manslaughter.
    I'd throw the book and as many other books as I could get hold of and make stick.

This dads direct and unthinking actions has resulted directly in the ruination of his sons life, that of _both_ deceased persons including the very much viable fetus, as well as the lives of the his girlfriends parents and siblings and that of his own siblings and parents as they would lose both a grandson/nephew and a son/brother.

How easy and simple is it to just think stuff through and act right without having to be told or their being a raft of laws generated to protect oneself from their own stupidity. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Death, unfortunately this person has nowhere to go but down.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    This eleven year old has some serious problems but I could buy the argument that he has not developed to a sufficient maturity level to be fully competent for adult punishment. Of course that could be said about some adults too. Sadly, neither the adult or juvenile system is probably equipped to rehabilitate this youth. Another life wasted in prison in addition to the victims and family involved.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I don't think that the father should be in any trouble. The kid and only the kid is to blame,he did what he meant to do. Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that defective people will do. What a horrible thing, two lives lost, many ruined, and who knows how many people traumatized within their family and friends. A terrible thing.

Links