LTE: Guns don't belong on campuses

This is a discussion on LTE: Guns don't belong on campuses within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Roanoke Times Proposals would resegregate Roanoke schools - Roanoke.com (second down) Guns don't belong on campuses I am concerned over the article about whether students, ...

Thread: LTE: Guns don't belong on campuses

VIP Member

Thumbs down LTE: Guns don't belong on campuses

Roanoke Times

Proposals would resegregate Roanoke schools - Roanoke.com
    (second down)

Guns don't belong on campuses

I am concerned over the article about whether students, professors and people should be able to carry handguns on campus ("Tech graduate sees danger in handgun bills," Feb. 26). Lawmakers should study this very seriously. Would it really protect the campus?

I think having more security on campus would put the guns in the hands of the law. A student having a gun would be able to use it against a professor or fellow student.

The shooter will end up in court and jail for using the gun unwisely. Not only does this person have to go to court and lose his rights for shooting the gun, if he kills or maims someone for life, he will have medical bills, court costs and the loss of his education.

Guns do not belong on campus. Listen to the people who have been in situations whether it would have saved the life of their loved one if he or she had had a gun.

LOIS DEZELICH
    BEDFORD
    BTW -- Anyone understand the last sentence?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Do you really expect people with that type of attitude to be smart???

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Did LOIS DEZELICH forgo her education experience? Sure writes like she did. Statements like this just make my head hurt. Probably the reason I've yet to find an anti-gunner book I can actually read.

VIP Member
    I'd like to see a comparison of the crime rates at schools where guns are banned versus schools where guns are carried. Use that as a reference as to wheather or not guns "belong" on school campuses.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member

Post My LTE

I wrote the following letter to the Roanoke Times

Will let you know if it get published.

Honest citizens championed prohibition hoping that banning an inanimate item would prevent misuse. The Twenty-first Amendment repealed it - because it didn't work.

Those who are anti Right to Keep and Bear Arms hope banning another inanimate item will work. However, "Gun Bans" don't work!

Nearly all the massive shootings in the USA have been where guns were banned - public buildings, churches, schools, nursing homes, etc. Killers intent gaining on fame, making a statement, mayhem, and murder are drawn to these "Unarmed Victim Zones." Many plan suicide.

"Bans" don't stop criminals. It points them to their victims. However, these "Bans" do prevent law-abiding citizens from having the tools to defend themselves.

Repeatedly, carnage is predicted when a State relaxed restrictions on law-abiding citizens carrying handguns. It hasn't happened. Serious crime rates go down when the restriction go down.

However, in places like Washington, New York, Chicago, Mexico, and England the gun crime rates are increasing -- in spite of their draconian restrictions on guns.

Why would a criminal to obey a "Gun Ban" restriction, while ignoring various felony laws, against the use of handguns in a crime, murder, etc.?

Why would they worry about any consequences, if planning suicide?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thumbs up Well said...

Let us know if they print it DaveH...I doubt the will !
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

VIP Member

Thumbs up My LTE published

Gun bans don?t stop gun violence by criminals - Roanoke.com

It was published w/ very little editing

Gun bans donít stop gun violence by criminals

Re: ďGuns donít belong on campuses,Ē March 25 letter:

Honest citizens championed Prohibition hoping that banning an inanimate item would prevent misuse. The 21st Amendment repealed it ó because it didnít work.

Those who are anti-right to keep and bear arms hope banning another inanimate item will work. However, gun bans donít work.

Nearly all the massive shootings in the U.S. have been where guns were banned ó public buildings, churches, schools, nursing homes, etc. Killers intent on gaining fame, making a statement, mayhem and murder are drawn to these unarmed victim zones. Many plan suicide.

Bans donít stop criminals. They point them to their victims. However, these bans do prevent law-abiding citizens from having the tools to defend themselves.

Repeatedly, carnage is predicted when a state relaxes restrictions on law-abiding citizens carrying handguns. It hasnít happened. Serious crime rates go down when the restrictions go down.

However, in places like Washington, New York, Chicago, Mexico and England, the gun crime rates are increasing ó in spite of draconian restrictions.

Why would a criminal obey a gun ban restriction, while ignoring laws against murder? Why would he worry about any consequences if planning suicide?

David Hicks
    Dublin
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

My favorite part:

A student having a gun would be able to use it against a professor or fellow student.
    Oh! Right! So like, if we, like, totally had like, laws against students carrying guns like, a terrible situation where like, some guy would come on campus and kill 20-30 kids before law enforcement even made entry would never happen, right?!

Some people are far too stupid for their own good. Sad.

If you want some more eye-rolling remarks, go on facebook and look at the event page for the National Empty Holster protest being done by SCCC in a few weeks. Some of the comments on the wall are incredibly stupid (by people who are "outraged" that they received the invite at all, rather than just declining it).

This type of failure of logic is what concerns me so much about many of my fellow college students.

Never forget.

" Listen to the people who have been in situations whether it would have saved the life of their loved one if he or she had had a gun."

That statement alone....her parting thought at that......makes the strongest arguement for allowing legal guns on campus.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You can't fix STUPID.

If you want to know if guns "work" in an educational environment, for stopping or eliminating threats, one needs to look no further than Israel.

Now I need an aspirin.

Biker

Some people appear stupid, some appear smart... some open their mouths and remove all doubt.

I think the woman won the award.

Apparently she did not do any research before writing that. Because I've heard at least two separate CCW license holders who were un-armed at the time of the VT shootings say that they could have ended the killing much sooner.

One student in particular, and I wish I could recall his name, said he was within 20 feet of the shooter but he knew he could not close the gap on foot before the shooter saw him. But he said if he had his pistol, which was at his off campus house, he could have easily ended the threat and saved as many as 20 lives because he was in one of the first classes that got attacked.

Any body remember the gal in Luby's Cafeteria in Texas who watched a mad man kill her parents. She had a gun but it was locked up in her car. She had the perfect opportunity to stop a mass murder but the tool she needed was out of reach in the car.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Any body remember the gal in Luby's Cafeteria in Texas who watched a mad man kill her parents. She had a gun but it was locked up in her car. She had the perfect opportunity to stop a mass murder but the tool she needed was out of reach in the car.
    Suzanne Gratia-Hupp.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Links