Man pulls gun on friend; 2 nutty stories for the price of 1

This is a discussion on Man pulls gun on friend; 2 nutty stories for the price of 1 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Jackson man charged with pulling gun on friend while he ate a Hot Pocket - Jackson News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos ...

Thread: Man pulls gun on friend; 2 nutty stories for the price of 1

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Jackson man charged with pulling gun on friend while he ate a Hot Pocket - Jackson News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos – MLive.com

Jackson man charged with pulling gun on friend while he ate a Hot Pocket
    by Steven Hepker | Citizen Patriot
    Wednesday March 25, 2009, 3:34 PM

Michael Furnas said he was eating a Hot Pocket at lunch Tuesday when his friend, Justin Batshon, poked a loaded handgun in his face.

"He said 'Take off your shoes!'" Furnas said.

Batshon had fled his home at 900 S. Higby St. to the office of his attorney before more than a dozen city police surrounded the home with shotguns and handguns trained on the windows and doors.

"This got blown far beyond what it should have been," defense attorney George Lyons told District Judge R. Darryl Mazur at Batshon's arraignment today. "He did everything he should have done."

Not counting shoving a loaded .45-caliber gun in someone's face, or ditching the gun between home and Lyons' office, police allege.

Mazur set a preliminary hearing for April 16 and released Batshon on a personal-recognizance bond. Mazur said Batshon, 25, has no previous felonies but a few misdemeanor domestic assaults.

Furnas said he escaped safely but called 911 to prevent someone else from being shot next time. He said another friend claimed Batshon threatened him with the same gun recently when he lit a cigarette in his home.

Batshon's mother today said her son was a tragedy waiting to happen. Kellie Batshon said he a troubled young man who is reckless with guns and increasingly violent in his relations.

Kellie Batshon said she is angry that she was penalized for trying to save her son and grandchildren. She took a loaded shotgun from Batshon's home in the fall of 2007, after she warned him not to leave it loaded around his son.

"I unloaded it, put it in my trunk and took it home with me," she said. A year later, when she refused to give her son money, he reported she stole his gun, she said.

She was charged with larceny of a firearm, a potential five-year felony, and was allowed to plead guilty to misdemeanor larceny.

"I was ordered to pay restitution of more than $300, which he used to go out and buy a handgun," she said. "I tried to prevent something like this from happening, and I got a criminal record out of it."

Assistant Prosecutor Jared Hopkins said the charge was proper because she clearly stole the gun and that she got a break with the misdemeanor charge.

"If she was so concerned about her son, why didn't she call the police instead of stealing the gun?" he said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Neat story...

Misdemeanor domestic assault should have prevented him from legally owning a firearm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

there are too many people like that out there
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

re the headline: what on earth does a Hot Pocket have to do with the story???

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Maybe It was his hot pocket and buddie didn't ask if he could have it.It still does not justify this nut job to threaten the guy with a deadly weapon,I never thought hot pockets were that good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Friends don't point guns at each other! Well... except paintball guns... and the occasional airsoft ambush... but never at the face! Psycho path. It is kinda sad his mom got charged with stealing his gun. This fellow is obviously unstable and shouldn't have them anyway. I know you can't buy a gun here with domestic violence history. At least nobody has been killed.

When I was 18 my mom told me "no guns in my house". So I respected her wishes and installed a makeshift gun cabinet in the trunk of my car until I found my own apartment.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

What does the Hot Pocket have to do with it ?? EVERYTHING. Hot Pockets are the new HillBilly Heroin, Not having a Hot Pocket is what caused the fella in the story to commit crimes. If he had been enjoying the scrumptiousness of a HP he would have had his hands full and been unable to pull a gun, then the 65 grams of carbs would have made him too sleepy to do crime afterwards. A man with a Hot Pocket is a good man, clearly the story shows what happens when a fella has to do without. Bad things.

On a side note, the BG in the story sounds like he needs to get mental help, and soon, before something happens that can't be fixed. I wonder how much criminal behavior is caused by mental health issues ? I was listening to a radio show about the topic the other day, unfortunately the appointment that I was on my way to cut it short.

I cannot believe anyone would point a loaded (or unloaded for that matter) gun at someone over a Hot Pocket!!!

Now, if you take my Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls, all bets are off.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Hot Pockets are the new HillBilly Heroin,

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    What does the Hot Pocket have to do with it ?? EVERYTHING. Hot Pockets are the new HillBilly Heroin, Not having a Hot Pocket is what caused the fella in the story to commit crimes. If he had been enjoying the scrumptiousness of a HP he would have had his hands full and been unable to pull a gun, then the 65 grams of carbs would have made him too sleepy to do crime afterwards. A man with a Hot Pocket is a good man, clearly the story shows what happens when a fella has to do without. Bad things.
    ROTF...
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Sponsored Links