Ex CIA man killed/was this a 'hit'? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Ex CIA man killed/was this a 'hit'? (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by gglockster I live 30 minutes from that area and have relatives that live in the same neighborhood. A robbery gone wrong just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ex CIA man killed/was this a 'hit'? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by gglockster View Post
    I live 30 minutes from that area and have relatives that live in the same neighborhood. A robbery gone wrong just doesn't make sense. Whoever attacked them probably was in a vehicle (I don't care about the vehicle reported to the police. Witnesses are notoriously wrong in their descriptions). This is an affluent suburb of Washington, DC with no visible gang activity. To place this in perspective, there are a lot of 1/2 million dollar (well maybe not any more) homes in the area, very little crime, and I have never seen any public littering. The amount of money a jogger would have on them is usually minimal.

I did a quick look up of the crime rates for Loudoun County. For many of the recent years it is zero. The worst year I could find was 6. In 2000 there were only 44 robberies reported in the whole County. I suspect most of the property crime is committed by bored suburban neighborhood kids.

I just cannot see robbers (probably 2 or more) driving around looking to rob someone in that neighborhood and if they did, I find it even harder to believe that they would escalate to murder instead of driving away. I suspect there will be more to this story when all of the facts come out.
    And it's a fairly big county too! I'm in Clarke (neighboring county), but I spent a good deal of time in Loudoun for the last 10 years or so.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Folks extremely doubtful it was a hit.

If he retired, kept to his self and wasn't active anymore, why expose folks to an investigation over something so dirty and obvious? If this guy was under a threat and high value, he would still of had some protection. Besides, if he was someone that worked on the "dark side" you would have never know he was CIA. That is why it is called a cover.

Besides, if this guy was acting so "protective" why did he pattern his activities...jogging regularly, going out unprotected and exposing his activities.

This was a simple act of violence on someone that used to work for the CIA. Much ado about nothing (and I mean his association with the CIA) other than a violent act committed on innocent people.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Not even going to speculate. Doesn't really matter either. A good guy was killed and his wife seriously injured.

A bad day all around. My prayers are with his wife and his family.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

who knows.....it could have been anything from a planned hit, to a robbery, to someone just getting bored and itching to kill someone and this man was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. either way my prayers to go out to the family RIP, and thanks for your service to our country.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Unhappy BAD: Jogger killed had concealed carry permit but didn't carry on the day of the attk

Pair Were Attacked on Morning Stroll | LoudounExtra.com | The Washington Post

Pair Were Attacked on Morning Stroll

Identities of Slain Loudoun Husband, Injured Wife Revealed

By Jonathan Mummolo

Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009; Page B01

A Loudoun County couple out for their routine early-morning walk over the weekend might have been randomly attacked by as many as three assailants in the Lansdowne area, the county sheriff said yesterday.

William Bennett, 57, was found dead before 6 a.m. Sunday along Riverside Parkway near Rocky Creek Drive by a sheriff's deputy investigating a report of a suspicious vehicle in the area. His wife, Cynthia, 55, was found critically injured about 30 minutes later across the road, beyond a bloodied white fence in a muddy ditch, Simpson said.

"It has the look and feel of a random act," Simpson said. "I'm not sure how much you do to prepare for that. . . . Everybody has the same thought on their mind: 'See, that could have been me.' "

The Bennetts live in the Potomac Station subdivision in the Leesburg area, less than a mile from where they were found, Simpson said. They suffered severe blunt force trauma, but the medical examiner has not yet provided an official cause of death for the husband, Simpson said.

At 5:38 a.m. Sunday, a resident reported hearing a commotion and seeing several people get inside a white panel van that kept coming and going, authorities said. A deputy responded within five minutes and discovered the man's body on a grassy patch along Riverside Parkway, near a walking path that leads to Goose Creek, Simpson said.

Authorities combed the area, and, as the sun came up, investigators noticed blood across the street on a white fence that lines the road, Simpson said.

It was then that Cynthia Bennett was discovered about 50 yards away in a ditch. She was flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital and was in critical condition yesterday. Investigators have not been able to talk to her, Simpson said. The couple were wearing jogging outfits when they were found.

The attack has left residents of the quiet community shaken. Some said they would avoid the walking path near the creek and keep their children indoors.

"It's shocking and scary, and I guess you can't ever assume you're safe no matter where you live," said Sandy Bednoski, 38, of Lansdowne.

Authorities were able to identify William Bennett, who carried no identification, by his fingerprint, which was on file because he has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Simpson said. The couple have two adult children, he said.

Bennett's slaying is the first homicide this year in Loudoun, where killings usually register in the low single digits annually. The sheriff's office investigated three homicides last year, up from one in 2007. Authorities described the Lansdowne area as fairly quiet and said crime there is generally limited to "quality of life" issues such as property destruction and car theft.

County Supervisor Lori L. Waters (R-Broad Run) expressed shock and sadness over the attack and said she hoped for a quick recovery for Cynthia Bennett.

"Our prayers and thoughts go out to the families of the victims," Waters said in a statement. "This type of violence will not be tolerated in our community, and we know the sheriff's office will be doing all in their power to bring the murderer to justice."

That has been running here since the day it occurred; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...illed-hit.html

Also it should be noted and known that in VA very many people have a Concealed Handgun Permit. It is a requirement to posses if you you ever want to lawfully transfer more than two handguns in the same month there.
    Tons of people have the permit in VA but do not and have no intention to carry.

Considering this mans specific background and training though it is unlikely that he did not at times carry. Though he should have always which may have saved his life.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    I hope that the wife lives to tell her tale and to taste justice. Remember Joubert in "Three Days of the Condor": You have not much future there. It will happen this way. You may be walking. Maybe the first sunny day of the spring. And a car will slow beside you, and a door will open, and someone you know, maybe even trust, will get out of the car. And he will smile, a becoming smile. But he will leave open the door of the car and offer to give you a lift.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Just another nasty crime in the USA...

Now who wonders WHY we should carry 24/7?

Stay armed...always...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quite possibly random, but depending on what he did for the agency it could be pay back. If he was in operations and worked in certain parts of the world he may well have annoyed some people. If they were able to learn his identity it would not be that big a deal to find a couple of wanna be jihadis to take him out. Lets not forget Mir Aimal Kasi.

ETA: Also note it says he was a contractor. Big difference between a contractor and an actual agency officer.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Arrests have been made:

Loudoun Times

Arrests made in Lansdowne attacks

By Jana Wagoner

Loudoun residents could hear more thorough details on the slaying of Lansdowne resident William Bennett and how it might be linked to other crimes around the county at a preliminary hearing June 24.

That's when the Loudoun County Commonwealth's Attorney's Office will present the evidence it has against Darwin Giovany Bowman, 18, of Annandale, who was charged April 24 in relation to Bennett's death.

A judge will then decide if there is enough evidence to send the case forward to a grand jury.

Bowman and a 17-year-old boy from Sterling were charged with capital murder. The two are accused of attacking William and Cynthia Bennett – 57 and 55 respectively – while the couple were out for an early morning jog March 22 along Riverside Parkway in Lansdowne.

Two other suspects in the case are in custody on other charges and have yet to be charged in Bennett's death.

They are Anthony R. Roberts, 20, of Middleburg, and an 18-year-old Sterling man.

A capital murder charge is forthcoming against Roberts, Loudoun County Sheriff's Office spokesman Kraig Troxell said.

All four suspects are being held without bond.

Bowman appeared by video conferencing in Loudoun County District Court on April 27-28. During the April 27 arraignment, Bowman's sister said her family was trying to hire an attorney to represent Bowman. But on April 28, the sister said her family was unable to find representation and would like a public defender to be appointed to Bowman's case.

At that time, Judge Dean Worcester appointed Fairfax attorney James Connell to represent Bowman.

Connell could not be reached for comment by the Times-Mirror's press deadline.

Connell may be known to Loudoun residents as the attorney who represented Clara Jane Schwartz, who was convicted of murder in 2002 at the age of 20 for masterminding the plot that killed her father, acclaimed biophysicist Dr. Robert Schwartz, in December 2001 at their home in Hamilton.

Loudoun County Sheriff Steve Simpson announced the arrests in connection with Bennett's death at a press conference April 25.

“Some of our worst fears, I guess, have been realized in this case in that it was strictly a random act,” Simpson said. “[The Bennetts] just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

While the suspects are all alleged to be members of or associated with an established criminal street gang, it does not appear the crimes against the Bennetts were part of a gang initiation or specific gang ritual, Troxell said.

Simpson said April 25 that while robbery might have been the motive for the attacks, investigators are continuing to look into other possible motives.

“There are still a lot of things that have to come out of this case,” Simpson said.

He added that more arrests are possible, as investigators continue to conduct interviews and issue search warrants. For that reason, much of the information is being guarded so that the case is not jeopardized, he said.

“We don't feel we have everybody involved in this case,” Simpson said. “We know we have four of them, and we're real sure about that, but we don't know about the rest of them.”

According to Troxell, a white van seen by a Lansdowne resident near the scene of the attack on the Bennetts became a critical piece of evidence. A similar white van had been described in follow-up interviews of a possible gang assault during a 16th birthday party at the Cascades Community Center in Sterling Feb. 28.

In that case, multiple people jumped out of a white van, assaulted some people at the party and then left, Troxell said.

The attack on the Bennetts was very similar, Simpson said.

“[The people in the van] saw [the Bennetts] walking down the street, jumped out of the van, and assaulted them on the side of the road,” Simpson said.

The Sheriff's Office, through interviews and search warrants, has linked the assault in Sterling and the attack and slaying in Lansdowne to nine commercial burglaries in Middleburg March 15 and March 21 and a burglary at Loudoun Guns in Leesburg April 15.

“They were on quite a crime spree,” Simpson said, adding that “there was a lot of mixing of these different people in the different activities that occurred over the past few weeks.”

Roberts is held on multiple charges relating to the burglary at Loudoun Guns, and he is a suspect in the Middleburg burglaries, Troxell said.

The white van is in police custody as evidence, Troxell said.

Simpson will attend a meeting the Lansdowne Community is hosting April 30 to discuss the case. That meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the National Ballroom at the National Conference Center in Lansdowne.

Reporter Holly Hobbs contributed to this article.

VIP Member
    Dang, this is really sad although I’m tempted to link this thread to the one earlier; “I didn’t carry today at all”. Anyway, based on how this scenario was written; it sure doesn’t sound like a planned event to me.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Saber if you do not do it I will.

See my prior first post in this thread...this occurred very near where I used to live 4 yrs. ago for 11 yrs. when I was in NoVA and the path they were walking is where I used to ride my bike and rollerblade with my wife.

Anytime, anywhere, any body, at any age.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Anytime, anywhere, any body, at any age.

- Janq
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links