Ex CIA man killed/was this a 'hit'? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Ex CIA man killed/was this a 'hit'? (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Slain Ex-CIA Contractor Described as "Reclusive" | NBC Washington Slain Ex-CIA Contractor Described as "Reclusive" Neighborhood shaken by bizarre murder mystery By MATTHEW STABLEY Updated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex CIA man killed/was this a 'hit'? (Merged)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Slain Ex-CIA Contractor Described as "Reclusive" | NBC Washington

Slain Ex-CIA Contractor Described as "Reclusive" Neighborhood shaken by bizarre murder mystery

By MATTHEW STABLEY

Updated 8:32 PM EDT, Wed, Mar 25, 2009

A man killed while apparently exercising with his wife on a trail in Loudoun County over the weekend had worked for the CIA until 2000, sources said.

Neighbor: Slain Ex-CIA Contractor Was Reclusive
    Watch Video

A neighbor describes a slain ex-CIA contractor as a reclusive man who only went out at night.

Early Sunday morning, deputies found William Bennett's body in a grassy area next to Riverside Parkway in the Lansdowne area. His wife, Cynthia Bennett, was found injured nearby. She was airlifted to an area hospital, where she remains in critical condition, unable to talk.

The couple may have been attacked by three people seen driving suspiciously in the area in a white-panel van, investigators said. The Bennetts were wearing jogging outfits.

Investigators still do not know the motive for the attack or whether it was gang-related or random. They also don't know if the attack took place were the couple was found or if the bodies were moved to that location.

"If this does turn out to be strictly random, that's probably our worst nightmare and for people who live in this community," Loudoun County Sheriff Stephen Simpson said.

The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office got a call at around 5 a.m. Sunday. When deputies arrived, they found William Bennett's body. He had suffered severe head trauma.

Cynthia Bennett wasn't discovered until the sun started to rise. She was in a grassy area across the street, over a fence.

"We found the blood on the fence and then we found the female laying over the fence as though she may have been injured and crawled over the fence and was out of sight of the suspects," Simpson said.

Neighbor Tammy Goddard never saw William Bennett go outside during daylight hours except to run to the mailbox in his shorts to pick up his mail, she said. The Bennetts had their groceries delivered once a week and their laundry picked up and delivered daily, Goddard said. He only went out at night.

"I just thought he liked to keep to himself," Goddard said. "He was very reclusive. We had difficulty getting him to say hello."

Investigators ask anyone who might have seen or heard anything unusual in the area Sunday morning to call the sheriff's office at 703.... Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That is very near where I used to live when I was in VA.
    As close to a zero crime area as Northern VA gets aside from Ashland, VA.

There is basically nothing out there in the immediate area but the Landsdowne golf course and hotel.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

if it was a hit they wouldn't have left his wife alive I wouldn't think.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

It would not be the first.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    if it was a hit they wouldn't have left his wife alive I wouldn't think.
    If it had been a hit, the fatal injury would not have been head trauma. Could it have been an entity he worked against? The CIA will know shortly.

I do not mean to take way from the seriousnex of the issue at hand but if I were in the CIA and had to carry out a "hit" a white or black panel van would be the last vehicle I would take.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

They will know; but, we won't. This will just go away.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

It could be a robbery gone bad since It apparently occurred at night,a couple out jogging and some BG tries to rob them.Ex CIA guy maybe tries to disarm guy and gets shot.Crime does not differentiate between who you are or who you worked for
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

1943 - 2009
    "Was this a 'hit'"?

Only in Hollywood.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Sounds more like a sloppy robbery attempt to me. If it was a hit there will probably be another body showing up soon. Who ever hired it done is not going to be happy about how sloppily it was carried out and will get rid of the hit man.

Robbery gone bad.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Agreed, robbery gone bad and purely circumstantial.
    Why do so called"hits" when an auto accident is stupid easy to setup or even simply run a home invasion.

This has 'opportunity crime' written all over it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Not enough information........I tend not to think 'robbery gone bad', since most people who are out jogging aren't carrying a lot of valuables......They could have been after the woman.....just not enough info to make a judgment.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    If I wanted to do a "hit" I would set it up to make it look like a random act of violence.

The key to remaining undetected is to not make it look like a "hit".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I live 30 minutes from that area and have relatives that live in the same neighborhood. A robbery gone wrong just doesn't make sense. Whoever attacked them probably was in a vehicle (I don't care about the vehicle reported to the police. Witnesses are notoriously wrong in their descriptions). This is an affluent suburb of Washington, DC with no visible gang activity. To place this in perspective, there are a lot of 1/2 million dollar (well maybe not any more) homes in the area, very little crime, and I have never seen any public littering. The amount of money a jogger would have on them is usually minimal.

I did a quick look up of the crime rates for Loudoun County. For many of the recent years it is zero. The worst year I could find was 6. In 2000 there were only 44 robberies reported in the whole County. I suspect most of the property crime is committed by bored suburban neighborhood kids.

I just cannot see robbers (probably 2 or more) driving around looking to rob someone in that neighborhood and if they did, I find it even harder to believe that they would escalate to murder instead of driving away. I suspect there will be more to this story when all of the facts come out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links