Tow Truck Divers Chase Armed Robbers

This is a discussion on Tow Truck Divers Chase Armed Robbers within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Father and son in tow truck chase robbery suspects in Fort Worth | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow Truck Divers Chase Armed Robbers

Tow Truck Divers Chase Armed Robbers

Father and son in tow truck chase robbery suspects in Fort Worth | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Father and son in tow truck chase robbery suspects in Fort Worth

02:00 PM CDT on Monday, March 23, 2009

By KATRINA GUTIERREZ / The Dallas Morning News

Fort Worth police are crediting a father and son for helping capture one of two men accused of holding six hostages during a robbery.
    Also Online

Ollie Ray Whitworth, 43, and his 18-year-old son, Ollie Ray Whitworth Jr., were in a tow truck and leaving the Abandoned Vehicle Enforcement business in the 6800 block of Randol Mill Road on Sunday evening when they saw a robbery taking place in the office.

The Whitworths thought it was a joke until they encountered a second robber wearing a black skullcap, sunglasses and bandanna covering his face. The man pointed his gun at the Whitworths and ordered them into the office, where four other people were being held hostage.

The robbers took the cash register and fled on foot. When the Whitworths heard the robbers shaking a gate to escape, they decided to pursue them.

The Whitworths jumped into their truck and followed the robbers, who were on foot, to a nearby mobile home park. As one of the robbers fired at the Whitworths, the Whitworths knocked him down with their truck. The robber then ran to a white Chevy Caprice and drove away. The Whitworths continued their pursuit, trying to cut off the fleeing car.

During the pursuit, the Whitworths used the radio in their truck to notify other tow-truck drivers about the robbery. Kelly Hedge, 32, who was filling up his truck at a nearby gas station, heard the radio alert and drove to the mobile home park, where he saw the suspect who was on foot. He jumped out of his truck with a handgun and flashlight and gave chase.

Hedge found the suspect under the steps of a mobile home, but the man fled. As Hedge chased him, the Whitworths and the robber in the Chevy Caprice spotted them. Hedge fired a couple of shots at the Caprice, and Whitworth drove head-on toward the Caprice to stop the Caprice from hitting Hedge, police said. The Caprice swerved and hit a street sign. The driver then fled on foot.

The younger Whitworth got out of the tow truck and helped Hedge tackle the other suspect.

Christopher Mayor, 26, was charged with aggravated robbery, Fort Worth police said today. He was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries sustained during the chase and capture.

The second robber remained at large Monday morning, and police had not released a detailed description.
    The second suspect has since been jailed.

All of the employees survived without injuries.......other than FTWPD taking my gun for ballistics testing.

K.D.Hedge
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

2. Remove Ads

OMG this is you Target?!

Dude that reads like the script for a CSI Miami episode!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ya shoulda hit him harder with the truck then shot him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was the one behind the gun and another driver behind the wheel.

The BG that got away (did so in the car and not on foot) has since been arrested but I dont know the extent of injuries from his run in with the tow truck.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Due to chasing them into a moble home park, I did not have clear shot at the BGs without fear of hitting someone inside a trailer house. I did try to shoot out a tire on the escaping car but that proved to be difficult to while also dodging the car.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

You should have backed up and run over the BG again. Nice stop though.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Good job! Glad none of the good guys got hurt.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

If you were in my neighborhood I'd lend you one of mine for the duration. AND buy you a drink (just to steady your nerves, medicinal purposes only).

Well done!

Wow, what a story, good job on the apprehension Target! I'm bettin' you're glad you didn't leave your gun at home on that day.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    You should have backed up and run over the BG again. Nice stop though.
    LOL. Reminds me of this.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Awesome job 'Target'
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Woohoo! Awesome job, Target!

Dude...make a screenplay out of it... that was awesome. and x3 on backing over the BG a few times.
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Target,

Can you go into technical details about the situation?

My questions and wonderment includes the following:
    * What make, model, and caliber was your handgun?
    * What brand and variant ammunition were you using and in what bullet type (FMJ or JHP) as well as what bullet weight?
    * What brand flashlight did you have at hand and how did you feel about it's ability to illuminate the area so as to be functional?
    * When you fired on the vehicle how many rounds were you able to fire and was it strong hand only or two hand grip?
    * Where did you aim on the vehicle and what damage was notable at all if any? Did your rounds penetrate? Did this have any noticeable effect on the driver or his actions?
    * What did/do the police have to say toward your involvement in seeking out and chasing after the BG prior to becoming endangered directly, by his attempt to drive over you, and did they deem your discharge of a weapon to be justifiable?
    * How did your ears react to and handle the sound of your gunfire considering they were unprotected?

I ask these questions not so much to be nosy or probing as on the surface they might seem, but more so because I and others of us can learn and add to our own knowledge base by proxy of your experience as you relate it first person.

I hope you don't mind nor are offended.

Thanks,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links