Burglar Alarm @ Car dealership in Louisiana

This is a discussion on Burglar Alarm @ Car dealership in Louisiana within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting read ! Could ve happened to anybody. KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana |Gunfire exchanged at car dealership in Sulphur...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burglar Alarm @ Car dealership in Louisiana

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Burglar Alarm @ Car dealership in Louisiana

Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

2. Remove Ads

Wow! Good thing no one was hurt.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

jfl
    For those who don't want to follow the link

Gunfire exchanged at car dealership in Sulphur

Posted: March 13, 2009 07:27 PM

Updated: March 13, 2009 07:40 PM
    NEWS more>>

By Theresa Schmidt - bio | email

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - It's a miracle no one was killed or injured last night at Billy Navarre Chevrolet in Sulphur. That's where shots were exchanged between a police officer and an employee.. It was a miscommunication that could have been deadly.

It all started after a burglar alarm at the car dealership on East Napoleon. An employee arrived ahead of police and went inside to check the business. He had a flashlight and a gun. When police saw the employee inside they thought he was an armed burglar and fired shots, while the employee thought he was being fired at by a burglar. General Manager Ryan Navarre says the employee was crouched behind a desk. "I get the most horrific phone call I have ever gotten in my life. An employee is telling me that he's being shot at and he had already called 911 and he still was trying to get help. He was hunkered down in the service department telling me somebody was shooting at him and he returned fire. It was just a horrible situation.

Windows on the northeast corner of the building were shot out. And there are bullet holes on various objects inside and out. Navarre says they were trying to call off police when the shots were exchanged."Thank God that he didn't get killed or that they didn't get killed. And it looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty rounds were shot outside and six from the inside. And it was just a failure of communication because I was on the phone with 911 telling them that my employee's in the building."

While a Sulphur police officer fired first Assistant Chief Glenn Berry says he had good reason to do what he did. "There's no doubt in my mind the officer was justified. He felt that this man was about to shoot his partner in the back. He felt that with every fiber of his being. And he fired in defense of his fellow officer."

Police say once officers have been summoned to a building an employee should never go inside-- but should always wait outside with a key. Berry emphasizes, "Do not go into the business. Do not arm yourself when you go there. Wait in your vehicle until police arrive. Then open the door for them. Speak with the police. Don't go into the business. In this case this could have been just a terrible tragedy."

The employee was arrested and booked for unlawful use of a weapon, but it's not certain whether formal charges will be pursued. An internal investigation is still underway by Sulphur police.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Completely irrational and outright stupid for the employee to _enter_ the building at all never mind by himself (!).

What did he think he was going to do? Clear the building...Just like how they do on TV?!
    And if he'd come across the BG or BGs plural then what? He with his limited ammo capacity handgun, a flashlight and cell phone.
    When he did contact the person he thought and assumed was the BG all he could do was try to get small and hide behind a desk as he took fire...and call his boss to ask for help in the immediate. Awesome plan, genius.

This is a perfect example of what I say do not attempt to clear structures alone.
    Flee to safety in the immediate and then once there _stay_ there and let the cops, with a K9 unit (!), do the cop work clearing buildings and flushing out potential BGs.
    This dude could have got himself killed or killed a cop over nothing but wholly insured property (cars and car parts!) all for no good reason.

Moron.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm questioning why the Police shot at him in the first place. Seems questionable.

I agree with Janq here, but I do have a question.

The article is not clear about the officer shooting...the LEO saw someone in side with a flashlight and a gun so he shot? Something doesn't sound quite right. At some point, wouldn't the PD notify the subject inside to the police presence prior to a shot being fired?

I guess the article is not clear on that point, but the employee did not act wisely by entering the building.

Every escaped serious injury on this one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Sounds like several rounds were fired which would make me wonder if the Police officer will be disciplined. I would think he would have to answer for every round fired.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree with Janq here, but I do have a question.

The article is not clear about the officer shooting...the LEO saw someone in side with a flashlight and a gun so he shot? Something doesn't sound quite right. At some point, wouldn't the PD notify the subject inside to the police presence prior to a shot being fired?

I guess the article is not clear on that point, but the employee did not act wisely by entering the building.

Every escaped serious injury on this one.
    +1

Sounds like everyone involved, was just a little too eager.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Completely irrational and outright stupid for the employee to _enter_ the building at all never mind by himself (!).

What did he think he was going to do? Clear the building...Just like how they do on TV?!
    And if he'd come across the BG or BGs plural then what? He with his limited ammo capacity handgun, a flashlight and cell phone.
    When he did contact the person he thought and assumed was the BG all he could do was try to get small and hide behind a desk as he took fire...and call his boss to ask for help in the immediate. Awesome plan, genius.

This is a perfect example of what I say do not attempt to clear structures alone.
    Flee to safety in the immediate and then once there _stay_ there and let the cops, with a K9 unit (!), do the cop work clearing buildings and flushing out potential BGs.
    This dude could have got himself killed or killed a cop over nothing but wholly insured property (cars and car parts!) all for no good reason.

Moron.

- Janq
    When i got to this part:

It all started after a burglar alarm at the car dealership on East Napoleon. An employee arrived ahead of police and went inside to check the business. He had a flashlight and a gun.

all I could think was 'aaah crap, what an idiot, this is not going to end well"

fortunately, Mr. Moron didn't take one in the noggin, nor did he kill the cop.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Employee's name wasn't "Gecko", was it?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

let the cops, with a K9 unit (!), do the cop work clearing buildings and flushing out potential BGs.
    Perfect answer IMHO. Gecko got it wrong.

My wife and I got to observe a K-9 unit clear her retail store (at 2 AM, darn it). That was really neat. There was no way I was doing that. I wasn't paid enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Perfect answer IMHO. Gecko got it wrong.

My wife and I got to observe a K-9 unit clear her retail store (at 2 AM, darn it). That was really neat. There was no way I was doing that. I wasn't paid enough
    I used to be one of those K-9 units doing building searches at 0200. Lets just say it could be a little tense at times.

Back to the thread: IMHO there were two idiots! The employee clearing the building before help arrived and the cop who shot at him. For all the cop knew, the employee could have been LEO detective, plain clothes detail or undercover. Two jackasses!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    I used to be one of those K-9 units doing building searches at 0200. Lets just say it could be a little tense at times.

Back to the thread: IMHO there were two idiots! The employee clearing the building before help arrived and the cop who shot at him. For all the cop knew, the employee could have been LEO detective, plain clothes detail or undercover. Two jackasses!
    Well, one idiot and one jackass: The employee presumably didn't know better, the police officer should have known better...

I got 5 bucks that says the employee will never do THAT again
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I used to live in the little town next to this little town. This is probably the biggest thing to happen there since Grandma fell off the back porch.....lol.
    It's a good thing that everyone involved seems to be a little rusty in marksmanship. If anyone of them had been a Deer and out of season it might have been different.....lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links