Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage.... Merged - Page 3

Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage.... Merged

This is a discussion on Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage.... Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's today's NC Grass Roots Email I just received: Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10684, Raleigh, NC 27605 919-664-8565, Welcome to GRNC , GRNC ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Here's today's NC Grass Roots Email I just received:

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10684, Raleigh, NC 27605
    919-664-8565, Welcome to GRNC, GRNC Alert Hotline: (919) 562-4137

GRNC Alert 03-30-09:
    Pinelake Health and Rehab: More killings in 'gun free' zones

Worth noting is a quote from Carthage Police Chief Chris McKenzie since the following piece was written. McKenzie said, "A lot more lives would have been lost, I honestly feel, had he not done what he did. For certain." Just imagine how many more lives would have been saved had other trained citizens had the option of being armed there.

From Paul Valone's Charlotte Gun Examiner column:
    Charlotte Gun Rights Examiner: Pinelake Health and Rehab: More killings in 'gun free' zones (new video)

On Sunday morning, gunman Robert Stewart barged into Pinelake Health and Rehab in Carthage, North Carolina, and killed seven patients and a nurse, wounding three others. As in previous massacres, the killer picked a so-called "gun free" zone where firearms are officially prohibited. According to an employee of Peak Resources Incorporated, which operates Pinelake and five other health care facilities, all of their facilities are posted against concealed weapons.

As in numerous other rampages, Stewart was stopped after he was shot by an armed individual, in this case 25-year-old Carthage police officer Justin Garner, who was himself among the wounded.

And as in other cases, authorities were promptly alerted when Pinelake resident Ellery Chishole first called her 14-year-old granddaughter but despite arriving in less than ten minutes, were unable to stop the shooter from killing seven people in moments.

Unclear is whether Stewart had any connection to the 90-bed nursing home, leading some to suggest he may have picked it because concealed handgun permit-holders are prohibited from carrying firearms for self-protection. Associated Press accounts say his estranged wife may work there, but ex-wife Sue Griffin said she had no idea whether her ex-husband was somehow connected to the nursing home or why he would shoot people there, further noting: "He did have some violent tendencies from time to time. I wouldn't put it past him. I hate to say it, but it is true."

Due largely to the efforts of nascent gun rights organization Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC), the state passed a concealed handgun law in 1995 to allow citizens who have undergone background checks and training to protect themselves and their families against exactly such predations. However, Mecklenburg County Senator "Fountain" Odom chaired a subcommittee which weakened the legislation by amending it to include numerous places where concealed handguns are prohibited, including restaurants with on-premises alcohol consumption permits and some public parks.

Although health care facilities are not officially prohibited from allowing concealed handguns, among the weakening amendments that became law is G.S. 14-415.11(c), under which guns are prohibited "where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises." Because owners of private property, including merchants, could already legally prohibit concealed handguns, the measure was intended to encourage posting.

When then-Governor Jim Hunt arranged for the "Governor's Crime Commission" to distribute thousands of signs posting against concealed carry, GRNC responded by creating a "Don't Buy List" of posted merchants, with instructions for supporters of the law to contact them.

Faced with an organized boycott, hundreds of posted merchants, including Lowes Home Improvement Centers, Wilco convenience stores, West Marine outlets and posted WalMart stores removed "no concealed carry" signs.

Businesses which were less vulnerable to the boycott, however, refused to remove signs. Among the facilities commonly posted in the state today are shopping malls and health care facilities like Pinelake.

In a controlled study covering 19 years, researcher John R. Lott found that the number of multiple-victim public shootings in states which adopted concealed handgun laws declined by 84%. Deaths from these shootings plummeted on average by 90%, injuries by 82%. Higher arrest rates and increased use of the death penalty slightly reduced the incidence of these events, but the effects were never statistically significant.

Until Sunday, North Carolina had not experienced a single multiple victim public homicide such as recently occurred in Alabama and Germany, suggesting that the state's concealed handgun law may have deterred such homicides. Significantly, the lone massacre has now occurred in one of the relatively few places where concealed handguns are commonly prohibited.

While sound arguments could be made for prohibiting firearms in nursing homes and hospitals by patients who may not be able to retain control of them, staff and visitors who have cleared the hurdles to obtain concealed handgun permits could not only deter future tragedies, but could respond in minutes or even seconds, potentially saving scores of lives.

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

* Read Paul Valone's Examiner piece and be sure to Digg it while you are there:
    Charlotte Gun Rights Examiner: Pinelake Health and Rehab: More killings in 'gun free' zones (new video)

* Watch the News 14 interview: News 14 | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES | Gun control debated after Carthage shooting

----------------------

You may find your NC representative by going here:
    Representatives

You may write your federal congressman by going here:
    Write Your Representative - Contact your Congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives.

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
    U.S. Senate

-------------------
    Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Coin & Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-663-5656, Hyatt Gun Shop
    Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, Index
    Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, Home
    The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
    Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, Gun Holsters and Shooting Accessories at Discounted Prices, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
    C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; C&E Gun Shows > Home

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So, I wonder, if I have to be admitted to a nursing home for an extended period, does that in fact become my home? Heck it has the word 'home' in the name, right? Can a private enterprise legally keep me from having a firearm in my 'home'?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So, I wonder, if I have to be admitted to a nursing home for an extended period, does that in fact become my home? Heck it has the word 'home' in the name, right? Can a private enterprise legally keep me from having a firearm in my 'home'?

I'm going to guess, if you don't physically own it, it ain't your home. The owner would have the last say whether you could have a firearm.

I think it would be more like a hotel, your just temporarily there
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

As now wepaons is likely a part of the agreement (lease) you sign when you decide to move there, yes, it is binding because you have agreed to it.

No different than if I, as a landlord, include no firearms onmy leases and my tenants agree to it by signing the lease.

Does anyone know if the door was even locked?? Seems to me there should have been some sort of intercom, state your business, then get buzzed in setup. Common sense.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Why lock up? Who would hurt old people? And anything they have of value has already been lifted by the staff.

Several years ago I had just started working for a wheelchair transport company, one employee per vehicle. I had not yet been issued uniforms. I was taking this patient out of a facility for a Doctor's appointment when I was approached by a much smaller female employee, demanding to know who I was and what I was doing. So some care, but really, most don't or are too intellectually deprived to think about it critically. I could say a lot more, just trust me.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    I'm going to guess, if you don't physically own it, it ain't your home. The owner would have the last say whether you could have a firearm.

I think it would be more like a hotel, your just temporarily there
    Hard to say. If it can be classified as your residence then the same rights would apply as they do in an apartment or rental house.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

FYI the nurse who was killed was a 10year USCG member...
    we have lost one of our own because of the actions of some POS..

Coast Guard veteran was nurse killed in North Carolina nursing home shooting - Topic Powered by eve community

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor725 View Post
    FYI the nurse who was killed was a 10year USCG member...
    we have lost one of our own because of the actions of some POS..

Coast Guard veteran was nurse killed in North Carolina nursing home shooting - Topic Powered by eve community
    That's sad. The article said he was shot 27 times, and as he lay dying, he was able to speak to his fiance a little bit.

We need the death penalty for people who do things like this. And we need to use it, instead of coddling them for 10-12 years, allowing them multiple appeals, and sometimes even turning them back into society.

Sad and sick.

NC officer: Stopping nursing home shooter 'scary' - Nation - The State

NC officer: Stopping nursing home shooter 'scary'
    The Associated Press
    AddThis
    email this story to a friend E-Mail print story Print Reprint
    Comments (1)
    Recommend (0)
    Text Size:
    tool name
    close
    tool goes here

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A young police officer who stopped a shooting rampage that killed eight people in a North Carolina nursing home said Monday that searching the building alone for the gunman was "very scary."

Justin Garner, 25, was the only police officer on Sunday morning duty in the town of Carthage when emergency calls came in about shooting at Pinelake Health and Rehab on March 29. He told NBC's "Today" show on Monday that he first thought the report was a misunderstanding.

"When they gave me the call, they said there were some shots had been fired at the building, and I was thinking maybe somebody could be nearby shooting," possibly for target practice, Garner said.
    Nursing Home Shooting

In an undated file photo provided by the Carthage Police Department, Carthage Police Officer Justin Garner is shown. Garner, who stopped gunman Robert Stewart as we went on a shooting rampage in a North Carolina nursing home says he first thought the emergency call was a misunderstanding, but knew it was serious when he saw a car with shattered windows in the parking lot. Garner told NBC's "Today" show on Monday April 6, 2009, he was scared as he walked through the halls past multiple doors in search of the shooter.

- Carthage Police Department /AP Photo

Then he saw a car in the parking lot with the driver's window shot out and realized "something serious was going on."

He entered the nursing home alone and saw a woman in a wheelchair who had been shot.

"When I went in, like you said, there were doors, hallways, there were rooms everywhere. I was just going through. I didn't know where he was at. It was very scary. Very scary," said Garner, a past winner of his department's Officer of the Year award.

Garner said he was standing in one hallway when the gunman emerged from another hallway, about 35 yards away. He told the gunman three times to put down the shotgun that was in his hands before opening fire himself.

"He managed to get a shot off, apparently about the same time I did, because I never heard it, I never heard his gun go off," Garner said, adding that he did feel the shotgun pellets hit his leg.

Seven patients and a nurse were killed in the shooting, which ended four minutes after Garner entered the home. Robert Stewart, 45, was wounded and is charged with eight counts of first-degree murder and a single charge of felony assault of a law enforcement officer.

Stewart's estranged wife worked at the nursing home and survived the shooting by hiding in a section of the home for Alzheimer's patients that was behind a locked door. Authorities have declined to speculate on a motive but say they are looking into whether the shooting was "domestic-related."

Carthage Police Chief Chris McKenzie, who appeared on the "Today" show with Garner, said more people certainly would have died if Garner hadn't acted so quickly.

"Certainly, had Justin not done what he did, the loss of life would have been a lot greater," McKenzie said.

Garner said that realization didn't hit him until he got home that night.

"When it all first initially happened, it didn't really dawn on me until later on that night when I was home and got ready to go to bed, it really hit me pretty hard," he said.

Well, that man has some Brass <ones> he went right in, can't say the same for the NY Police in Bimingham
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

35 yards--good shot. IIRC he hit the shooter once in the chest which took him down.

Well done.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    35 yards--good shot. IIRC he hit the shooter once in the chest which took him down.

Well done.
    exactly right, handgun vs shotgun at 35 yards
    handgun 1 to the chest vs shotgun blast, 3 pellets to legs
    handgun wins
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member

Norfork VA Item "More killings in 'gun free' zones"

From VA ALERT

Pinelake Health and Rehab: More killings in 'gun free' zones

examiner.com
    Pinelake Health and Rehab: More killings in 'gun free' zonesMarch 30, 7:06 PM

On Sunday morning, gunman Robert Stewart barged into Pinelake Health and Rehab in Carthage, North Carolina, and killed seven patients and a nurse, wounding three others. As in previous massacres, the killer picked a so-called "gun free" zone where firearms are officially prohibited. According to an employee of Peak Resources Incorporated, which operates Pinelake and five other health care facilities, all of their facilities are posted against concealed weapons.

As in numerous other rampages, Stewart was stopped after he was shot by an armed individual, in this case 25-year-old Carthage police officer Justin Garner, who was himself among the wounded.

And as in other cases, authorities were promptly alerted when Pinelake resident Ellery Chishole first called her 14-year-old granddaughter but despite arriving in less than ten minutes, were unable to stop the shooter from killing seven people in moments.

Unclear is whether Stewart had any connection to the 90-bed nursing home, leading some to suggest he may have picked it because concealed handgun permit-holders are prohibited from carrying firearms for self- protection. Associated Press accounts say his estranged wife may work there, but ex-wife Sue Griffin said she had no idea whether her ex- husband was somehow connected to the nursing home or why he would shoot people there, further noting: "He did have some violent tendencies from time to time. I wouldn't put it past him. I hate to say it, but it is true."

Due largely to the efforts of nascent gun rights organization Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC), the state passed a concealed handgun law in 1995 to allow citizens who have undergone background checks and training to protect themselves and their families against exactly such predations. However, Mecklenburg County Senator "Fountain" Odom chaired a subcommittee which weakened the legislation by amending it to include numerous places where concealed handguns are prohibited, including restaurants with on-premises alcohol consumption permits and some public parks.

Although health care facilities are not officially prohibited from allowing concealed handguns, among the weakening amendments that became law is G.S. 14-415.11(c), under which guns are prohibited "where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises." Because owners of private property, including merchants, could already legally prohibit concealed handguns, the measure was intended to encourage posting.

When then-Governor Jim Hunt arranged for the "Governor's Crime Commission" to distribute thousands of signs posting against concealed carry, GRNC responded by creating a "Don't Buy List" of posted merchants, with instructions for supporters of the law to contact them.

Faced with an organized boycott, hundreds of posted merchants, including Lowes Home Improvement Centers, Wilco convenience stores, West Marine outlets and posted WalMart stores removed "no concealed carry" signs.

Businesses which were less vulnerable to the boycott, however, refused to remove signs. Among the facilities commonly posted in the state today are shopping malls and health care facilities like Pinelake.

In a controlled study covering 19 years, researcher John R. Lott found that the number of multiple-victim public shootings in states which adopted concealed handgun laws declined by 84%. Deaths from these shootings plummeted on average by 90%, injuries by 82%. Higher arrest rates and increased use of the death penalty slightly reduced the incidence of these events, but the effects were never statistically significant.

Until Sunday, North Carolina had not experienced a single multiple victim public homicide such as recently occurred in Alabama and Germany, suggesting that the state's concealed handgun law may have deterred such homicides. Significantly, the lone massacre has now occurred in one of the relatively few places where concealed handguns are commonly prohibited.

While sound arguments could be made for prohibiting firearms in nursing homes and hospitals by patients who may not be able to retain control of them, staff and visitors who have cleared the hurdles to obtain concealed handgun permits could not only deter future tragedies, but could respond in minutes or even seconds, potentially saving scores of lives.

Note too how major media outlets neglect mentioning that Pinelake was posted against licensed concealed firearms:
    YouTube - {UPDATE} 8 Dead in N. Carolina Nursing Home Shooting (YouTube)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links