Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage.... Merged

This is a discussion on Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage.... Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage - CNN.com Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage Decrease font Decrease font Enlarge font Enlarge ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage.... Merged

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage - CNN.com

Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage

Decrease font Decrease font
    Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Eight people have been killed and several others wounded in a shooting at a nursing home in Carthage, North Carolina, police and hospital officials said Sunday.
    The shooting happened at about 10 a.m. Sunday in Carthage, North Carolina, authorities said.

The shooting happened at about 10 a.m. Sunday in Carthage, North Carolina, authorities said.

Carthage Police Chief Chris McKenzie told CNN affiliate News 14 Carolina that there were six dead at the scene and three wounded, including a police officer. Gretchen Kelly, a spokeswoman for FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital, told CNN later that two of the six patients brought there had died, and two were still being treated.

Few details of the shootings, which happened about 10 a.m. Sunday, were immediately available. There was no immediate indication as to the attacker's motive, and it was not clear whether the gunman was in custody or was among the dead or wounded.

"I ain't never seen nobody being mistreated down there or nothing," Bobby Dunn, whose 89-year-old mother was living at the facility, told News 14. "That's what I can't understand -- why somebody would come and do something like that."
    advertisement

McKenzie said the facility was "under our control" and patients had been moved to another building. Police were still interviewing witnesses early Sunday afternoon, he said. Carthage is about 60 miles southwest of Raleigh.
    Don't Miss

* WTVD: Shooter among the injured

Sunday's killings were the latest in a series of high-profile but unrelated rampages in March, including the killings of 10 people by an Alabama man who was then killed by police. At a southern Illinois church, a man shot and killed the pastor and stabbed two parishioners, and a 17-year-old in Germany killed 15 people in two small towns before dying in a shootout with police.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Another tragedy.

Why can't our elected officials see why it is imperative for law abiding citizens to have the opportunity to use firepower to defend themselves anywhere? You never know when a nutcase like this guy is going to show up in a medical facility or nursing home, where you won't have an LEO or armed security standing next to you at the time to protect you.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

wpk
    I'm watching the press release about this right now, terrible tragedy. When the spokesperson was asked what the nursing home did to protect the people during the rampage, the answer was "the police were called."
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Animals. Murderous, cowardly animals. And all the while, the putzes in Congress continue to press for legally deeming as felons any and all people who dare to go around with weapons in defense of such scum. That is, perhaps, the most dishonorable act of all: the attempt to disarm victims in the face of being victimized by armed criminals. Utter insanity.

Nowhere is immune. With each and every "surprise" occurrence at a new, untested/untried place, we must disabuse ourselves of the naive notion that there are any safe places. Go armed. Always.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by wpk View Post
    I'm watching the press release about this right now, terrible tragedy.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by wpk View Post
    When the spokesperson was asked what the nursing home did to protect the people during the rampage, the answer was "the police were called."
    Agreed even more.

As we all know, most of these shootings are stopped either by the shooter's suicide or by someone else with a gun. Having armed citizens at the scene as it occurs could result in fewer innocents killed.

I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Anyone know if it was a "no-gun" zone?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Go armed. Always.
    This is the only solution to the problem.

This is why legally armed people should have unrestricted carry anywhere there is not actual immediate armed LEO such as a secure floor in the courthouse,and even then If somebody attacked the LEO and took them out before they could react then you are basically helpless
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Tidbits from other news sources on this event:

Pinelake Health and Rehab Centre specializes in treating Alzheimer's patients.
    -The assailant was a younger man, no apparent relationship to the clinic has been found (so far).
    -The assailant was treated for a gunshot wound.
    -The wounded officer was the first to arrive after police were called.
    -Residents at Pinelake Health and Rehab are not guarded by a security staff, but that's not an unusual situation for a nursing home, a state regulator said today. "They are residential facilities," said Jeff Horton, chief executive officer of the state Division of Health Service Regulation. "They are not required to have security and most of them do not have it."

I haven't been able to find any text on it, but would anyone care to guess at Pinelake's firearms policy?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Hear we go again, what a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones of the victims.
    I hate this, Every time I read about some whacked out nut job on a rampage, I have to be concerned about RTBA.
    Lately we can't catch a break, with the current political situation this is not helpful.
    Sure would be nice if this county was secure in it's 2A rights every time these horrible crimes happen it won't give us gun owners heart burn. Better yet the BG gets stopped dead by a sheepdog.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Too bad there wasn't a CCWer around, could have only been 1 fatality..
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

This is very sad. I'm very sorry to hear another nut-job decided to go on a rampage.

I agree that something like this gives the Anti-gun nuts something else to point at and say "see, we need more gun control" when in reality, less gun control is the remedy.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this terrible tragedy
    Last edited by Jmac00; March 29th, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

You know I see this news report where a rapper was given a 1yr and 1 day sentence for trying to buy a machine gun. The max sentence was 30 yrs. IMO they want to enact all these gun laws and take away our freedom but the BG get caught and get a slap on the wrist as usual.

As for this thread-my prayers go out to the families.
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

At least one media outlet is reporting that the shooter's estranged wife worked there and that he may have gone there looking for her.

That hasn't been confirmed, but the media outlet is citing the shooter's family members.

The same media outlet indicates tone victim, a 39-year-old caregiver was shot 27 times.

Photos of the crime scene on foxnews.com show a rifle being examined by investigators - looks like a .22 rifle...

Article also quotes the daughter of one of the residents:
    Chishole told her daughter she hid her face in her shirt so she couldn't see the man or what she expected him to do, McNeill said. He didn't shoot, but left the room and began shooting down the hallway.
    Eight dead in nursing home shooting - 3/29/09 - Raleigh News - abc11.com

Here is the NC Brady Bunch's take on it.

Enough is ENOUGH: NC Nursing Home shooting takes 8 people

On March 29 a shooter went on a rampage at a Nursing Home in Cartharge, North Carolina. The shooting is yet another high profile massacre in March including the assault weapon rampage in Alabama just weeks before. Our country's refusal to address the issue of gun violence has deadly consequences.

NCGV once again confirms our commitment to reducing gun death and injury in our state. However we need your help: Visit our Legislation Page to learn how you can call on your elected officials to work with us to keep guns off our streets and out of the hands of our youth.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    cold heartless jerkweeds, nice of them to stop long enough to even mention the victims.

It's all about control with these idiots, why do they insist and empowering the BG's

personally i think it would have been hilarious if "while sitting in her wheel chair, granny Smith pulled out her 357 and blew Mr BG's nuts off" but I have a sick sense of humor anyway
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Typical. Nothing new, nothing useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    personally i think it would have been hilarious if "while sitting in her wheel chair, granny Smith pulled out her 357
    Under that scenario, fewer would have died. The police just can't be everywhere at once. It's ludicrous to expect protection from them for all situations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links