Yet another one. This time in San Fran

This is a discussion on Yet another one. This time in San Fran within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Six members of family dead in murder-suicide Man this is getting way too common. I cannot even believe how often this type of thing is ...

Thread: Yet another one. This time in San Fran

Yet another one. This time in San Fran

Six members of family dead in murder-suicide

Man this is getting way too common. I cannot even believe how often this type of thing is happening.

This and the Carolina rampage in the same day is going to give the anti gun dopes a big boost.

2. Remove Ads

That is the third specifically familial multiple person murder-suicide event to occur in CA over the past 4 months...that I've seen.

Rifle guy from yesterday is a completely different type of scenario than these.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    The hardest thing to measure is perception. Are mass murders more common than say 100 years ago? Or we just more aware in this day and age of instant information?

50 years ago you had a local newspaper or two and a few channels on the TV (if you had a TV!) Events such as these might not be reported with the regularity that they are today.

Today there are dozens of news outlets in a variety of formats; cable TV, printed media, and internet websites.

Are things that much worse, or is it just our perception that's changed?

You make a good point high Voltage. I often think that people are people and always have been people, nothing new under the sun. While there are some changes in everything, overall, it's just that we just have alot more access to information now.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    You make a good point high Voltage. I often think that people are people and always have been people, nothing new under the sun. While there are some changes in everything, overall, it's just that we just have alot more access to information now.
    While I agree with you to a point, I also think that the value of life has become cheap in the eyes of some. "Values-free" education, lack of belief in God, too many violent scenes embedded in neural pathways, or all of the above and others I haven't thought of? I don't know. But, I can't help think it is more than just the access to information at our fingertips in a moment's notice.

JMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The story...

(03-30) 11:46 PDT SANTA CLARA -- Six people, including three children, were shot and killed and a seventh victim is fighting for her life in what Santa Clara police are investigating as a murder-suicide, one of the deadliest such incidents in the Bay Area in recent memory.

The suspected gunman is believed to be among the dead inside a home on Headen Way in the city's upscale Rivermark community north of the Montague Expressway, said Santa Clara police Lt. Phil Cooke.

"We do believe this appears to be a family-on-family murder-suicide," Cooke said.

The identities of the victims weren't immediately released.

"We are currently trying to identify the victims and the relationships between them," said Santa Clara police Capt. Mike Sellers.

Authorities would not disclose a motive for the shooting that occurred about 8:30 p.m. Sunday or say whether any notes were found. Sellers said the home was not in foreclosure.

Whatever the reason, police and residents were struggling to come to terms with the horrific loss of life in the Silicon Valley city.

"The situation is obviously terrible for the community," Sellers said.

Ivy Hopkins, 33, who lives nearby, pushed her two young children today in a stroller near the crime scene, which was blocked off by yellow tape.

"I can't imagine someone shooting little children. It's awful," said Hopkins, as she began crying.

Sellers said the gunman was in his 40s and the victims included a man in his 30s, a woman in her 20s, a boy about 10 years old, a girl about 4 years old and a girl about 1 or 2.

Another victim, a woman in her 30s, was in critical condition at a local hospital. The youngest victim was taken to the hospital but died early today, Cooke said.

That victim managed to come out of the house after being shot several times, Sellers said. A neighbor saw the injured woman and called police.

Officers arrived shortly after the shooting and found five people unresponsive inside the home, police said.

"They made heroic efforts trying to save the lives of the children," Sellers said.

But it was too late. The five were pronounced dead at the scene. All had been shot. Their bodies were found in different parts of the home, Sellers said.

Residents of the normally tranquil neighborhood of townhomes said the slain children apparently went to private schools.

Two handguns were found inside the residence, but police are awaiting the results of ballistics tests before determining whether one or both weapons were used, authorities said.

Police had no previous reports of problems at the home, Cooke said.

Santa Clara, a city of 108,000, is usually immune to the kind of gun violence that has plagued other communities.

But in November, an engineer who was fired from his job returned to the firm and shot and killed three colleagues at SiPort, a startup that makes wireless chips.

The latest tragedy has shaken the Silicon Valley city anew and is prompting city leaders to urge community members to look out for each other.

"Certainly it is a grievous tragedy, and the city's thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims," Santa Clara Mayor Patricia Mahan said today. "Words just can't describe the enormity of the tragedy."

She added, "When things get tough in life, in the world, it seems that these kinds of incidents erupt, and I would just urge all of our community to pay attention to your neighbors. So often the greatest regret is the feeling that this could have been prevented if somebody had seen something or someone could have intervened in some way."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Better media communications have contributed to stories like this being immediately all over the country/world, but I believe the use of drugs, the loss of any value of human life, and the world's termoil have created many more of these scenarios.
    Can you imagine what would happen if we fall into a true depression or we are 'successfully' attacked by terrorists inside our borders?

Stay armed...be prepared...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And again I say....What the frak is wrong with people!!!!??????

If you are insane enough to take your own life at least go somewhere and do it without involving anybody else. Anybody who kills a child should be boiled in feces, chopped up and fed to pigs.

Grrrrrrrr.......................

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    While I agree with you to a point, I also think that the value of life has become cheap in the eyes of some. "Values-free" education, lack of belief in God, too many violent scenes embedded in neural pathways, or all of the above and others I haven't thought of? I don't know. But, I can't help think it is more than just the access to information at our fingertips in a moment's notice.

JMO.
    no offense, and I'm NOT trying to turn this into a religious debate at ALL, but what does believing in god have to do with this? I personally don't believe in god, that doesn't mean I want to shoot my family or go on a rampage.

If anything... I think it would be more from a lack in believing in themselves, or life in general.

Sadly, I think people do this as their way of getting attention. All the news channels ever report anymore are these sick and twisted slayings, each one worse/stranger than the last. I think people are getting desperate and want to leave their mark.

Try to put this in perspective. The United States is one of the few places in the world today where human life is given any value. We get all torn up about these sorts of things when they show up on the news but mass murders occur on a daily basis all over the world. Some committed by governments. We beat ourselves up trying to figure out how we let this happen while most of the rest of the world steps over the dead to carry off anything of value they have left behind. Folks, we are part of the Human Race. We are imperfect. If we weren't there would be no need for the medical, law enforcement, judicial, and legislative segments of society. These things happen more when stresses are higher because those barely coping when things are good are pushed over the edge by worsening situations.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    The hardest thing to measure is perception. Are mass murders more common than say 100 years ago? Or we just more aware in this day and age of instant information?

50 years ago you had a local newspaper or two and a few channels on the TV (if you had a TV!) Events such as these might not be reported with the regularity that they are today.

Today there are dozens of news outlets in a variety of formats; cable TV, printed media, and internet websites.

Are things that much worse, or is it just our perception that's changed?
    No, I was thinking about this this morning. Something has fundamentally changed in our society.

Why didn't this happen 30, 40, or 50 years ago? Why could a 12 year old walk into a corner hardware store, buy a shotgun, some shells, and carry it home, and there was no problem? No background check, no age check, no mental health check, no registration. Just another tool, like a screwdriver or hammer.

Why is it that, if a young man just couldn't deal any longer, he'd go out behind the shed, and do the deed; yet today, they have to take a bunch of people with them? Suicide is undeniably tragic, but it happens. Some people just fall into that mindset and cannot get out of thinking that suicide is the only solution.

It's sad that a man (or woman) decides to kill themselves; but in the end, that is ultimately his/her decision, no (if you think about it)? These people really don't need to take their entire family to a bunch of random strangers with them.

Either way, they're committing suicide - I wish I could them to just off themselves, and leave everyone else alone, if they're going to do it anyway.

Some people just want to be famous. With instant media its easy for them to get it. They are not willing to work at anything to become famous so the pick something easy and quick.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Are mass murders more common than say 100 years ago?
    Yes. Here's why.

1. violent video games
    2. rap music.
    3. violent movies.
    4. lack of religion/religion made fun of.
    5. attitude of "It's good to push the envelope."
    6. schools teach political correctness, not how to succeed.
    7. families don't stay together, government replaces the father.
    8. bad behavior is often rewarded (in business and law).
    9. criminal behavior is excused (parole/probation).
    10. lack of family values taught by the family.
    11. lazy people are provided for by taxpayers.
    12. politicians lie and cheat, and nothing happens to them.
    13. drugs......need I say more?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Some people just want to be famous. With instant media its easy for them to get it. They are not willing to work at anything to become famous so the pick something easy and quick.

Michael
    Check: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...dled-imho.html

Wish there were more responsible officials around.

Too much to wish for socially responsible media.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links