Australian Gun Law Update

This is a discussion on Australian Gun Law Update within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My Aunt sent me an e-mail today with this information in it. I thought I would share it with everyone here even though it is ...

Thread: Australian Gun Law Update

Exclamation Australian Gun Law Update

My Aunt sent me an e-mail today with this information in it. I thought I would share it with everyone here even though it is information from 1/25/2008. And I do apologize if this has been posted already. I searched for the info online and found it at splodetv.com so that I could include a source.

"Australian Gun Law Update

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
    Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
    Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent ;
    Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's too late!"

~Update on the Gun Ban In Australia | SplodeTV.com

"This story of well intentioned government intervention in the rights of lawful individuals to own and possess firearms won't be seen in the mainstream US media or on the American evening news. President Obama who advocates a similar confiscation in the US will not be reporting any of this to you." ~My Aunt's e-mail
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

2. Remove Ads

Wow, who would have ever guessed that the criminals wouldn't turn in their guns ?

I hope this serves as a lesson . I'm going to e-mail this to every anti that I can think of, thanks for posting it.

I'm really amazed that this even happened in Australia, I would not have thought that the people would just give up their guns.
    In a country where just about every plant,insect,and animal can or will kill you, I wouldn't walk across the lawn unarmed....lol

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns."
    Probably my favorite part. Dee dee dee. Just like in Chicago. When they banned handguns violent crime rose 150%. I don't understand how people can't learn from this. Some people just refuses to pull their heads out of their asses and look at the facts.
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

VIP Member
    Been posted numerous times since it first surfaced in Jan 2008.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Does anyone know the laws about whether US CC-holders can carry in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Probably my favorite part. Dee dee dee. Just like in Chicago. When they banned handguns violent crime rose 150%. I don't understand how people can't learn from this. Some people just refuses to pull their heads out of their asses and look at the facts.
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Thus, gun control advocates are insane.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I would say not just no, but hell no!

No country is going to disarm their own population and then give the privilege to the "ugly Americans". Also most other countries have more restrictive firearms laws, and much harsher punishments for illegal carry.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

There is question about the validity of this information. I think this is one that snopes debunks.
    oldogy

Older than the hills.

That exact same e-mail in total verbiage has been floating around since IIRC '00 or so. I have been seeing this pop up every few months for YEARS.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

...errrr, No!

Concerning the OP...wake up America!

Stay armed...vote!...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the data are true, but old

All data are true - but about 10 years old. The extreme gun control laws were passed c. 1996-97, and the numbers reflect data as of 1998-99.

This one is snaking around the errornet as "new news." Can anyone provide more recent data?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I wonder what % of armed robberies are committed using fake softair guns ? and if these contribute to the figures ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    All data are true - but about 10 years old. The extreme gun control laws were passed c. 1996-97, and the numbers reflect data as of 1998-99.

This one is snaking around the errornet as "new news." Can anyone provide more recent data?
    Well I apologize again I did say it was old news, but I didn't know it was THAT old. It is still food for thought for those who did not know it though.

Links