Officer, dog square off against Modesto mob of 60

This is a discussion on Officer, dog square off against Modesto mob of 60 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Modesto is a city in California 80 miles east of Oakland, where four officers were killed recently. If you witnessed this happening, would you intervene? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Officer, dog square off against Modesto mob of 60

Officer, dog square off against Modesto mob of 60

Modesto is a city in California 80 miles east of Oakland, where four officers were killed recently. If you witnessed this happening, would you intervene?

Officer, dog square off against Modesto mob of 60 - Local - The Modesto Bee

A Modesto police officer had to pull his gun to keep a hostile crowd at bay early Sunday.

The officer sustained minor injuries in the southwest Modesto incident, said police spokesman Sgt. Brian Findlen. Police are not releasing the officer's name. The officer's dog was assaulted but not seriously injured, Findlen said. Police arrested several suspects in connection with the incident. A loaded assault rifle was found later at the scene of the struggle, which unfolded about 2 a.m.

Findlen said the officer pulled his gun only after other deterrents, including his police dog, failed to keep the crowd under control. "In a situation where you really feel that your life is in imminent danger, your options become very few," Findlen said.

Some members of the crowd told the officer that "he was not going to leave the scene alive," according to police.

The crowd of as many as 60 people included some known gang members, Findlen said. Police believe the group was gathered for a party in the 1700 block of Pelton Avenue. The officer happened upon the group when he was responding to another call in the area.

The officer saw several people assaulting one man, Findlen said. As the officer tried to break up the fight, the crowd's attention shifted from the assault victim to the officer. The crowd surrounded the officer. The officer sent his dog into the crowd in an attempt to stop the group.

The dog apprehended one suspect, who police later identified as 18-year-old Alfredo Espinoza of Modesto. As the officer tried to arrest Espinoza, the crowd pulled Espinoza away from the officer.

According to police, some in the crowd then challenged the officer to a fight. One suspect attacked the officer, police said.

Officer's radio broken

The officer's two-way radio was broken during the struggle. The officer then used his gun to hold off the crowd as he tried to tell neighbors to call 911. Someone in the crowd had a police scanner, Findlen said, and told the rest of the crowd that other officers weren't responding to the scene. It was then that the officer was told he wouldn't be leaving the scene alive, according to police.

Backup units responded after calls from other residents.

Other officers responding to the scene stopped a vehicle and found Espinoza inside, Findlen said. The driver, 20-year-old Modesto resident Andrew Mitchell, and the passenger, 19-year-old Modesto resident Matthew Reyes, were arrested on suspicion of resisting and delaying a police officer, assaulting a police dog, and "lynching." Lynching is a law enforcement term that means forcibly removing a suspect -- in this case, Espinoza -- from police custody.

Two police scanners were found in the vehicle.

Two other suspects were arrested at the scene of the struggle. William Rodriguez, 29, of Modesto was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer, false imprisonment of a police officer and lynching. Junior Suarez, 19, of Modesto was arrested on suspicion of resisting and delaying a police officer and lynching.

Assault rifle found

Officers reportedly found a loaded assault rifle magazine near the scene of the assault.

During a follow-up investigation later Sunday morning, police said, officers found a loaded, banned assault rifle that police believe was used at the scene of the party. Gabriel Avila, 21, of Modesto was arrested on suspicion of possessing an assault rifle.

Detectives are continuing their investigation. Anyone with information is asked to called the Modesto Police Department at 572-9500 or Crime Stoppers at 521-4636. Tipsters also can text information to 274637. Type "TIP704" with your message.

2. Remove Ads

I would call for help for sure if I saw that happening.

''Lynching is a law enforcement term that means forcibly removing a suspect ''

What they need is and old fashion lynching.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Amazing.. I'm wondering how many people saw the letter from the editor in last months Guns & Ammo magazine? He wrote about how when the public and then the law starts turning on officers, then they no longer put their lives on the line in situations like this. As he said, they turn their sirens on 3 blocks away and take their time getting to the scene. After those knotheads in Oakland were marching against the police when the sexual predator killed four officers, I wouldn't be counting on law enforcement in that area right now.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Amazing.. I'm wondering how many people saw the letter from the editor in last months Guns & Ammo magazine? He wrote about how when the public and then the law starts turning on officers, then they no longer put their lives on the line in situations like this. As he said, they turn their sirens on 3 blocks away and take their time getting to the scene. After those knotheads in Oakland were marching against the police when the sexual predator killed four officers, I wouldn't be counting on law enforcement in that area right now.
    Yep and thats how the streets get handed over to the scumbags. When the police can no longer be affective the criminal activity flourishes How do you blame LEO's that don't want to drive into an angry mob alone?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    During a follow-up investigation later Sunday morning, police said, officers found a loaded, banned assault rifle that police believe was used at the scene of the party.
    If it was banned, how did it find it's way into California? My stars... those criminals are incorrigible!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

One cop, a mob of 60l...
    Five extra mags should have straightened out that mob...

Glad the LEO was OK, same for the dog...can't beat a good dog.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I read that article in Gun & Ammo as well. Yeah, I would absolutely aid the LEO...and likely later be arrested, indicted & jailed on a series of felony charges. And after months of time & tens-of-thousands of dollars in legal fees, I will have paid a much higher debt-to-society for my actions...than anyone in the mob. Brothers & Sisters, it's happening now in California. Think it'll stop at your state line?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm thinking AR 10 20 round mags and anybody moves toward officers back start taking head shots
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is a perfect example of why urban and suburban patrol officers in specific need to be assigned and keep either a shotgun or better yet a carbine in their car, preferably not mounted in the trunk either.
    I'm more surprised that this did not go south and become the fifth and sixth officers killed in CA, this month.

I don't know at all what I'd do under such a circumstance as a civilian...who assumedly lives amongst these people.
    Do something and you will most definitely have to be secreted away that night and kept under state protection for life (!). Do nothing and the cops plural (man and dog) are going to get owned and to that end so will your neighborhood. :|

As the human officer he showed great restraint.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    A mob that size not scared by a officers handgun, is not going to run from another gun. The mob mentality is rooted then, the only way to stop that big a mob is teargas and a greater number of riot police. That is without using lethal force.
    I personally perfer something belt fed as my option.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    A mob that size not scared by a officers handgun, is not going to run from another gun. The mob mentality is rooted then, the only way to stop that big a mob is teargas and a greater number of riot police. That is without using lethal force.
    I personally perfer something belt fed as my option.
    Napalm might work well.

or better yet, the minigun Jesse Ventura uses in the movie Predator. They won't be so tough then.
    I don't deal with psychos. I put them away. - Marion Cobretti- Cobra

With my family? I'm probably getting them out of Dodge, and then for the rest of my life trying to learn to live with the regret of leaving the officer.

Without my family? I hope I would respond and take up arms with the LEO, if I could approach him without him shooting me.

Single and armed? Oh hell yes. I hope I'd respond with everything I had. I don't always agree with every LEO decision, but if we lose the rule of law, it'll be carnage beyond measure.

Signed,
    grady, who doesn't really know what he'd do until it occurs, but he's making the mental preparations now to respond in force

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    With my family? I'm probably getting them out of Dodge, and then for the rest of my life trying to learn to live with the regret of leaving the officer.

Without my family? I hope I would respond and take up arms with the LEO, if I could approach him without him shooting me.

Single and armed? Oh hell yes. I hope I'd respond with everything I had. I don't always agree with every LEO decision, but if we lose the rule of law, it'll be carnage beyond measure.

Signed,
    grady, who doesn't really know what he'd do until it occurs, but he's making the mental preparations now to respond in force
    Good post !!!!!!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links