Another College Lock-down

Another College Lock-down

This is a discussion on Another College Lock-down within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Radford University locked down after fatal shooting - Roanoke.com Radford University locked down after fatal shooting By Jorge Valencia and Tonia Moxley | The Roanoke ...

Thread: Another College Lock-down

VIP Member

Post Another College Lock-down

Radford University locked down after fatal shooting - Roanoke.com

Radford University locked down after fatal shooting
    By Jorge Valencia and Tonia Moxley | The Roanoke Times

RADFORD Police in Radford scoured the city Thursday night for a man they believe shot and killed a person. The victim was not identified.

Officers were searching the area near Jefferson and Calhoun streets, just off the Radford University campus, where the shooting was reported about 9 p.m., said Radford Police Chief Don Goodman.

Meanwhile, university officials locked down the campus while students, staff and city residents were asked to "please seek shelter."

The suspect was described as a young black male who is tall and slim, may have a goatee and was wearing no shirt and a camouflage jacket, Goodman said.

A preliminary investigation indicated the shooting was the result of an altercation in the 500 block of Calhoun Street, a residential area where primarily university students live.

The suspect, who was last seen going west on foot on Jefferson Street, is considered armed and dangerous.

The victim, who was shot in the chest, was not identified late Thursday because authorities had not notified family, Goodman said. It was unclear whether the victim was affiliated with the university.

Ryan Timmons, a student and a resident on Calhoun Street, said he and friends heard four or five gunshots, heard a woman screaming, and later saw a black man who had apparently been shot lying near the intersection of Jefferson and Calhoun streets.

"I thought it was fireworks at first," he said.

Students and staff were notified via e-mail, text and voice messages, said university spokesman Michael Hemphill.

"Other than finding the guy, right now all we can do is keep people updated," he said.

Several other students who were interviewed by telephone said they were monitoring their cellphones for updates on when they could return to their dorms.

Anyone who sees someone matching the description of the suspect is asked to call 911.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Update -- Lock-down lifted

Police continue work on Radford homicide case; university lifts lockdown - Roanoke.com

Police continue work on Radford homicide case; university lifts lockdown

Radford University lifted its lockdown at 2:55 this morning and return the campus the normal after a shooting on nearby Calhoun Street house earlier left one person dead.

A dispatcher at the Radford Police Department said no new information about the incident was available for release.

Neither the victim nor the shooting suspect are believed to be Radford University students and the incident is not being treated as a random act of violence, according to university spokesman Michael Hemphill.

Neither has been identified.

Officers were searching the area near Jefferson and Calhoun streets, just off the Radford University campus, where the shooting was reported about 9 p.m., Radford Police Chief Don Goodman said earlier.

The suspect was described as a young black male who is tall and slim, may have a goatee and was wearing no shirt and a camouflage jacket, Goodman said.

A preliminary investigation indicated the shooting was the result of an altercation in the 500 block of Calhoun Street, a residential area where primarily university students live.

The suspect, who was last seen going west on foot on Jefferson Street, is considered armed and dangerous.

The victim, who was shot in the chest, was not identified late Thursday because authorities had not notified family, Goodman said.

Ryan Timmons, a student and a resident on Calhoun Street, said he and friends heard four or five gunshots, heard a woman screaming, and later saw a black man who had apparently been shot lying near the intersection of Jefferson and Calhoun streets.

"I thought it was fireworks at first," he said.

Students and staff were notified via e-mail, text and voice messages, Hemphill said.

Anyone who sees someone matching the description of the suspect is asked to call 911.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sounds like the typical near-slums that occupy the space immediately surrounding nearly every major college campus. It's really stupid that someone who may live there has to disarm him/herself just because they're going to or coming back from class.

It's funny that those notifications are mentioned. They make it out to be like its some wonderful thing that they're doing; some great system that will save us all. Recently my campus installed some weird campus-wide voice siren thing. Basically there are a bunch of speakers everywhere outside that can sound some siren and give voice instructions.

"Shooter on campus. Assume the fetal position and hope he doesn't see you. Good luck, defenseless sheeple"

I would rather see something like the college went into lockdown and all students were asked to arm themselves and be prepared to shoot in self defense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Now, there's a news flash for you. I'd have NEVER guessed that.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links