Leo ad?

This is a discussion on Leo ad? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One sided report. Wish the media would tone down the rhetoric until all the information was available. Shooting by officer accidental, woman told - NJ.com ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leo ad?

VIP Member

Leo ad?

One sided report. Wish the media would tone down the rhetoric until all the information was available.

Shooting by officer accidental, woman told - NJ.com

Mom: Roselle cop fell, and gun fired at son
    Friday, April 03, 2009
    BY ELIOT CAROOM AND ALEXI FRIEDMAN
    Star-Ledger Staff
    The Roselle police officer who shot a suspect during a drug raid Wednesday night fired his weapon accidentally after slipping and falling, police told the injured man's mother.

Andre Doss, 27, of Linden remained hospitalized yesterday after he was shot once in the upper torso during the raid on his father's masonry business, according to the Union County Prosecutor's Office, which is investigating the case.

Roselle and Linden police officers were executing a court-authorized narcotics search warrant around 6:30 p.m. on S&D Construction in Roselle, and on Doss. The weapon was discharged shortly after officers executed the warrant, the prosecutor's office said.

Authorities say Doss was running a drug distribution operation out of the company, at 1173 St. Georges Ave., and that the warrant followed several weeks of police investigation. The business belongs to Doss' father, Sam Doss, but authorities would not say whether he had any role in the alleged drug operation. The business was closed yesterday, its metal gates rolled down.

The shooting was the second in three days in Union County involving a police officer firing on apparently unarmed suspects. Early Monday morning, Hillside police fired several shots at 25-year-old Fuquan Stribling during a confrontation in his car, striking him seven times, his relatives said. That case is still being investigated, and four Hillside police officers involved have been placed on administrative leave.

In Wednesday night's shooting, Doss' mother said a police officer told her the officer slipped and fell during the raid, causing his gun to fire, striking her son. The prosecutor's office was still investigating why the officer shot Doss, and could not confirm that account. Doss, who suffered non-life-threatening injuries, was taken to University Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.

"He's having a hard time breathing and talking because his lung was punctured, but he's basically okay," Doss' mother, Rhonda Julius, said yesterday from her home on Middlesex Street, near the construction company.

The officer who fired the single shot is a 19-year veteran of the force, Roselle Police Chief Gerard Orlando said. The officer, whose name was being withheld, was placed on leave and was treated for stress. Orlando would not comment on the specifics of the case, but said in a statement, "I am confident that a thorough and impartial investigation will be conducted by the prosecutor's office."

A few police officers were present during the search, but none of the other officers discharged their guns, according to the prosecutor's office.

Doss' father, Sam Doss, said he runs a legitimate business and denied any drug operation existed. Sam Doss, who was not there at the time, said his son, who was hobbled by a broken foot when police executed the warrant, was in the office at the time doing bookkeeping work.

"I can't see why this happened," Sam Doss said. The police, he added, "walked through the door and shot an unarmed man." The father, who has been at the location for four years, said police may have been confused because he often lets people in and out to use the bathroom.

Roselle Councilwoman Christine Dansereau, who chairs the public safety committee, said she would convene an emergency meeting with Mayor Garrett Smith and Councilman Yves Francois Aubourg, who is police commissioner, to discuss the issue. Dansereau wants to propose a citizen advisory committee made up of civic and religious leaders, to improve communication between the public and law enforcement.

"I'm extremely disturbed when any kind of incident occurs in public safety that involves our community and the police," she said. "The key thing is a safer community."

Doss' mother said she worries that because her son has an arrest record, the police will blame him for the shooting. Court records show Doss has two criminal convictions, one for drug possession and the other for aggravated assault with a weapon. "Because he has a record, they are going to try to make him a bad guy," she said yesterday.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Oh well...stuff happens when you run a drug operation.

"I'm extremely disturbed when any kind of incident occurs in public safety that involves our community and the police," she said. "The key thing is a safer community."

If you want a safer community, get rid of the drug houses.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Booger hook, bang switch,I think an arrest record makes your son an upstanding member of society in da hood according to rap music
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This isn't about the scum drug dealer this is about a 19yr veteran LEO, who according to the gungrabbers is "trained" to use a firearm, not knowing how to keep his booger hook off the bang lever.

Agreed Chiller.

This is America not Soviet Russia or Mexico where ends justify means regardless of cause being just or not.
    This is a negligent discharge plain and simple. Trip, slip, fall or whatever...fingers off triggers unless intending to fire on to the target. This isvery well documented in all modes and methods of training everywhere.

There is no excuse and the BG has right to make a civil claim to my eye and could also seek to seek criminal charges toward being shot upon and after being detained.

This isn't about Cop vs. BG nor being pro-police or not.
    It's just plain and simple what is right, what is wrong, and the law.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This isn't about Cop vs. BG nor being pro-police or not.
    It's just plain and simple what is right, what is wrong, and the law.
    +1!
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Geeze, let's castrate the cop and throw him under the bus.

The guy fell down during a stressful operation.

I know we all preach the "keep you finger off the trigger" stuff but I would like to hear from the veteran cops.

I mean this sounds like trying to do everything right when you are engaged in an acrobatic manuever, i.e. trying not to fall.

Cops: is this in your opinion unexcusable or is this an example of a human being (you know, those imperfect creatures) getting caught up in a bad situation.

I remember hearing about a "study" that indicated that even when people kept their finger registered on the side of the gun, there was a tendency even in trained people to grip hard if startled by an explosion or stressful event to the point that they actually fired their (simunitions) weapon.

If he in fact had his finger on the trigger before he started falling, he definitely needs some remedial training. If not . . . . I think there is room for conjecture.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Not castrating, it's the same as a car accident - didn't mean for it to happen, but it did and you have to compensate the injured party. Being LEO doesn't excuse the officer from that responsibility. Don't think he should lose his job over it though. If the guy is found guilty of the drug charges, then I don't think he should receive any more than having his medical bills covered. If innocent, then the cop's got problems.

I don't need a LEO to weigh in on this any responsible gun owner knows this is wrong. If it was a rookie new to firearms maybe I wouldn't be as hard but a 19yr veteran should know this I knew it at 8yrs old. It isn't about him falling down anyone can fall down but if you don't have your finger on the trigger the gun does not go off. If I or any civilian had done it we would be charged and if we had a CWP would lose it. He definitely should be suspended without pay for at least a month if not fired and should have to take mandatory gun class and maybe restricted to unarmed desk duty the rest of his carrier because if he hasn't learned this simple rule in 19 yrs he probably won't learn it now.

I've been around LEO's who had AD's, standing right next to them. I cannot say that I've seen one that was not out of pure stupidity and mishandling a firearm. Luckily in those no one was shot, but it was extremely close. It convinced me that some LEO's should not be carrying a gun.

Finger off the trigger. No excuse.

"The shooting was the second in three days in Union County involving a police officer firing on apparently unarmed suspects. " .

I think that's the issue.

I kinda feel bad for the LEO,the info he had was this guy is a DRUG dealer and has firearm convictions.

Maybe the LEO did shoot early,but given the stiuation we have in front of us I don't think it's we should hang the guy.

Next thing ya know we will hang a LEO for shoot'n some thug
    robbing a store with a toy gun "after all It was just a toy".

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard125 View Post
    I kinda feel bad for the LEO,the info he had was this guy is a DRUG dealer and has firearm convictions.

Maybe the LEO did shoot early,but given the stiuation we have in front of us I don't think it's we should hang the guy.

Next thing ya know we will hang a LEO for shoot'n some thug
    robbing a store with a toy gun "after all It was just a toy".
    You misread the story, he didn't shoot by mistake thinking he was armed he shot because he had his finger on the trigger and fell and pulled trigger when he did not mean to.

But the point I was,

Don't sell drugs
    Don't cry foul when the cops come bustin in cause yer sell'n

No the point is if you are supposed to be a professional act like one

Trip, fall, gun goes off. Yes, it is like a car accident. Have an accident, and you are liable for damages and can be charged with the crime of 2nd degree murder. LEO or not, you are responsiblr for your actions.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links